Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

is it cat flu :(

Sphynx_Mama

Lairian
Okay guys update - we took the boys to the vet and they said as they were eating drinking,pooing etc it was fine and to keep an eye on them.
Well now one of the boys has a red eye and and it was closed with gunk, they are both sneezing, coughing and look like they have flu :ThumbsDown:
From what i'm reading there is no cure is that right? Both boys are eating as normal,drinking and playing

Any advice?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if you are referencing Feline Herpes here http://www.sphynxlair.com/f53/sphynx-feline-herpes-l-lysine-3217/ there are tests to confirm this condition, in the mean time any cat flu should be treated with Minimize stress (Make sure the room is warm, well ventilated, and well lighted. Get the Lysine, it will help boost the immune system.

Make sure the cat is eating and drinking enough. (Offer foods that appeal to them if you do have problems.)

Keep the cat's eyes and nose clean and clear of discharge.

Use a humidifier or put the cat in a bathroom while the hot shower is running. (This helps break up the mucus in the upper airway.)
Hope this helps!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
No Feline Herpes, is not curable but is controllable. The first step is to have them tested or ask the vets advice on testing, he told you to monitor for a few days, so that's what I would do also. In the meantime just keep them comfortable and treat is as a basic flu, but get the Lysine no matter what.

Medications may keep symptoms under control, but it is important to realize that the virus can never be cured—it will remain in a cat's nerve cells for life. And just like the strain of herpes virus that affects humans, symptoms of feline herpes can recur at anytime—particularly during times of stress, such as that brought on by the introduction of a new pet in the household, a move, or eve changing the cats daily routine. To help control the spread of the disease and lessen the number and severity of flare-ups Lysine is the best answer. L-lysine is readily available in pills and capsules. You'll want to discuss dosage with your veterinarian first, of course.

Sphynx_Mama

Lairian
Thank you. Its just came as a shock as everything I read indicates its serious. We have only had them a few weeks and didnt expect this.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How are the kitties feeling today? If they've gotten worse since the vet last saw them I would probably take them in for a recheck. What you're describing sounds like a full-blown URI and may need medication now. Hope they get feeling better soon.

Back