Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is it dangerous to neuter my kitten at 5 months?

carly gail

Lairian
Hello all,

My sweet little Baldwin is approaching 5 1/2 months and I've made an appointment to get him neutered, microchipped, and have his umbilical hernia repaired. I've been reading other threads and I've seen that 7 months seems to be the suggested age. Now I am worried it's too early for him and I am considering cancelling his appointment. Should I wait? I've fostered kittens in the past (non-sphynx) and they always were neutered much earlier, so I'm a little conflicted! Any help is welcome! Thank you!!! <3

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@carly gail first I have to say there are a lot of different opnions about when to neuter. It seems to be there's a big difference between countries about the ages of neutering they think is the best. And there's a difference between male-female. Here in the Netherlands it's quit regular to neuter male kittens before they go to their forever homes. So they neuter them at 10-12 weeks. My boys were neuterd at 11 weeks without a problem.
With girls they wait here till the went in heat one time.

But as said I know in other countries they say to wait till 6-7 months. I don't know what's really the best.

Hope others chime in to give their opinions

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
No worries. Personally our breeder suggests 6 months or 5 pounds, whichever comes first. As long as your baby is healthy they should be fine. Many share their babies are neutered much earlier especially in Europe. Just remember to tell your vet not to use Ketamine as an anesthesia and you should be fine. We all get nervous no matter how young they are.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@carly gail , Great advice given .. Chiming in with positive vibes !
Always confirm "NO Ketmine anesthesia " I attach a note to the crate during drop off too.
My vet used "ISO" instead

Remember to register his microchip! Usually that is a separate fee directly to the microchip company for lifetime registration called in separately - confirm with vet office .

Head smooches to Baldwin
Keep us updated

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My breeder is of a six months or 5 pounds and healthy mind as well. Max was neutered at six months,, and not a moment too soon. He was… Very developed. As a result, his neutering was quick and easy.

Keep us updated about Baldwin and his upcoming procedures. I'm sure all will go well.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We are in the U.S. and Cleo and Marcus were both neutered at 11 weeks. I actually like to wait until boys are at least 5 months old, but it was in the contract for him, so it was okay

janeypoos84

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
In the UK alot of the Sphynx breeders neuter before they leave.our boy was neutered at 14 weeks and was allowed to leave 2 weeks later. It seems common practice here. While our orientals came to us contracted to be neutered with in the 8month of age bracket. I was pleased loki came neutered, it seemed the right thing he came non active and the vet that had dealt with all the breeders queen's studs n kittens did the op so obviously well trusted. We've had no issues at all and I honestly think it's made his transition into our 3 cat family easier....not sure if that makes sense or just my opinion for such a smooth transition x

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Back