Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is it normal for an adult sphynx to have black teeth?!

KruegerandSimba

Lairian
Hello everyone!
I have just rehomed a lovely sphynx boy called Simba... he's my Krueger''s brother from a previous litter... but his canines are black! Is this normal??
Its not plaque. He's eating fine. And the teeth seem OK apart from the colour... apparently he was fed on only biscuits... but surely that would keep his teeth cleaner??

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have the same thought as @Catzzzmeow . I remember reading something saying don't freak out if your baby has black/gross teeth because of nursing. But that only works if your baby is young

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Dry food doesn't actually clean their teeth, they don't chew like we would so they need to do more of a ripping motion for any cleaning and need their teeth brushed regularly on any commercial food. Coarse/grainy texture can actually hurt their gums more than do any good. An occasional raw chicken neck treat is a great way for them to clean teeth if they know what to do with it. There are also some special dental treats that should help.

I don't think black teeth are normal from a quick search it's not even common in babies let alone adults, should get it checked out. Is it actually full on black and the whole teeth or just kinda stained?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@celsei we have seen many kittens with black teeth due to nursing/wax from mom and yet after losing baby teeth have pearly white adult teeth. Not uncommon at all in this breed if kittens. Agree if adults there could be an issue.

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Do you know if he has been on any antibiotics? Some like doxycycline/tetracycline can cause dark staining especially when they're young

KruegerandSimba

Lairian
Thank you guys. He hasn't been on any meds when my breeder had him... as for his previous owner I don't know. He''s just turned 2. I shall try and get some photos if he will hold still.

KruegerandSimba

Lairian
Hope you can see this well enough...

Attachments

• 20170221_080651.jpg
    20170221_080651.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 609

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well since he is two, I'm not sure. Admin gave a good link for related posts so hopefully that can help and give some ideas :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Not a vet but seeing it is only canines and not to the root makes me think it is wax related. See what your vet says and please share. Your experience will help others in the future.

Peregrine

Lairian
Following!

We have also rehomed a Sphynx, an 18 month old girly called Ezra, and her teeth are the same. She’s eating well, not drooling, not in any apparent discomfort but her teeth look awful! Have uploaded a pic for comparison.

Vets this week but interested in what they have to say about Simba’s teeth.

93B0BB03-2E34-4E68-9947-0916C3BFF9FC.jpeg

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello everyone!
I have just rehomed a lovely sphynx boy called Simba... he's my Krueger''s brother from a previous litter... but his canines are black! Is this normal??
Its not plaque. He's eating fine. And the teeth seem OK apart from the colour... apparently he was fed on only biscuits... but surely that would keep his teeth cleaner??
Hi , I have no idea personally but our other nude kitty momma have give. You some good information
Personally I jot some of these down like the raw chicken neck on occasion , we really do get some great advice xx
Kind Regards
Anita & Cleo

Peregrine

Lairian
Evening all - update -

Ezra had her vet appt. today and the vet said her gums were a classic case of gingivitis which we have a 10 day course of tablets for - though wasn’t concerned with her teeth. She said staining and discolouration of the teeth was a common ‘problem’ with this breed and as the black was on the tip not starting from the gum and her breath was ok it wasn’t a cause for concern.

So although they could do with a clean, which I’ll do myself after her course is finished, fortunatley none of her teeth need extracting or even a proper vets scale and polish!

Vet DID say the discolouration was likely permanent. I don’t care if they are healthy teeth but it’s worth mentioning.

Back