Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is it normal for females cats to pee on things?

I've talked to several breeders that have told me they've never had issues with cats peeing outside the litter box. I have 3 girls that have been peeing in trandom places. They are 6-8 months in age.
All have their own litter boxes which are cleaned there to four times a week.
Any thoughts of what I can do to prevent this? It's not all the time just once in a while, but once one does it, they all do it.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
This might be helpful. Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

Personally I would add a couple of extra litter boxes. Rule of thumbs most say to have is one more than the number of cats. I would also clean then every day. We have 4 cats 5 litter boxes and clean 2 times a day. Are you cleaning the spots where they went outside of the boxes with an enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle? @heather beeves

This might be helpful. Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

Personally I would add a couple of extra litter boxes. Rule of thumbs most say to have is one more than the number of cats. I would also clean then every day. We have 4 cats 5 litter boxes and clean 2 times a day. Are you cleaning the spots where they went outside of the boxes with an enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle? @heather beeves
Yes, we are. They pick a different spot to pee each time. Last night it was in our pantry in a cooler. Or in our bedroom on some paper. Looks like small amounts of pee

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Catzzzmeow gave great advice. I have 4 cats and 5 litterboxes and scoop 2 times a day. Hope you'll find a solution cause peeing outside the litterbox is no fun!

Are they neutered?

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Definitely would try adding another box or two like the others have suggested and would definitely start scooping the litter every day. I have a schedule with Orpheus that he has his 2 boxes and I scoop them everynight before we go to bed and it works great.
And if you are saying it is a small amount of pee I would get a vet check for UTI as it can make them need to go a bit more often and they maybe can't make it to the litter. Another thing I would consider is could it be a territory thing? Are there possibly other animals or cats that are coming up to the hose etc cats tend to get anxious about territory and peeing as a way to mark it can be like that small amounts. It might be worth talking to your vet about or maybe getting some feliway plug ins to see if it is anxiety triggered.

I would talk to your vet...my Miss P started peeing outside of the litter box, all over the house and even in our bed. Turns out she had a terribly advanced kidney disease which was why we had to let her go. However! Lots of good points made on litter box habits and possible territory situation

Yoda mom

Staff member
@heather beeves , here is a good link
Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

Great advice shared

Many of us scoop several times a day - I found sphnyx to be very picky about their boxes
Also ... Some kitites do not like scented litter or textures
Cat attract litter has been used successfully by members

Do use use covered litter boxes ? I always take to door flaps off
Some kitties prefer non lidded boxes too as well a good size box
I found mine prefer the catit jumbo box .
I like that the lid folds back for easy multiple times a day scooping .

Always best to check with your vet to rule out any issues
then see if it's the litter , box, litter box location ?

One other idea - I train them like a dog -
Jar of treats near boxes -
As soon as they walk in the box give verbal praise
As soon as they exit , immediately place A treat in front of the box and give praise .
It turned in to be a game for my adopted Bengal boy many years ago .
It was great reinforement training . Then random treats -
I still give verbal praise lol

A good enzyme cleaner that can be used in laundry too is
Anti icky poo Anti-Icky-Poo is recommended by veterinarians more than any other product

Breeder recommended the unscented . they have a variety of products and sold varies places online not in stores . I got it when I adopted just in case . I actually use it to launder dog beds .

Anti-Icky-Poo Unscented

Following closely for updates

Last edited: