Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is my kitten snoring?

Mika Kiara

Lairian
Hi,

We have Mika with us for a week now, I wonder since the beginning about the sounds that Mika is making when she breath and when she sleep.

I upload a small video of Mika who sleep and seems to snore. Can you give me your opinion as whether it is really snoring or maybe a problem of breathing.

Thanks

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
LOL. Sure sounds like a kitty snore to me. But hopefully others will chime in. Does she do this all the time?

Max makes similar sounds sometimes.

Mika Kiara

Lairian
Thanks everyone for the answers. Since I need to bring the new kitten to the vet next week, I will show the video to the vet just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Our vets have said it is important to get a base read on number of breaths per minute. So start with that. They need to be totally at rest and no purring so start to jot down how many per minute at this point and perhaps once or twice a week. I count for 30 seconds and double. Vets have said this is the first defense to any heart issues etc. Babas and Jouët are both heavy breathers and are loud, but their breath rate is very consistent. I think it is a great idea to show video to vet. Does your baby only breathe this way when sleeping?

Patti

Mika Kiara

Lairian
Hello,

I had the appointment with the vet this after noon, I was stunned to be told that Mika has a heart murmur, Level 2 of 6.

The whole family took the news very hard, and now I do not know what to do. The vet said she must pass a heart ultrasound to know from where the heart murmur is coming from exactly. This can be a very benign problem or a worse problem with the need of lifetime medications.

I just left a voice mail to my breeder and I am waiting her call back, I do not even know my rights and what I can do regarding this problem. Can I ask for another kitten or even a refund.

We are so attached to Mika I do not even know if I would be able to have another kitten in exchange. Just thinking about it broke our hearts. :cry:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Do not panic. Our boy has had a stage 2 murmur since he was a kitten. We just celebrated his 12th B-Day last week. Getting a full heart scan will give you a better feel for what is going on. .

Patti

Back