Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

is my rescue from a kitten farm??

Tamsin

Lairian
hi! Just wondering if anyone had ever had a similar experience.
My partner and myself recently rescued a two year old female called Cleo who seemed on the surface to be from a loving home, a ‘regrettable’ rehome.
After the first meeting it became apparent that she was two, unspayed and seemed to have barely seen a vet, she had had at least one litter and never visited the vet during this time.
Fast forward to the week we collect her and they mention she is in heat, this is new for me but my partner and myself deal with the meowing!
I contacted the previous owner for some advice and they basically told us we should stud her out and we could ‘make some good money too’ :(
Anyway we took her to the vet to get spayed and get checked up and it turns out she’s got a chest infection and an ear infection. I also should mention she came with severe diarrhoea. The vet asked wether there were lots of other animals and did we pay for her, thinking back now there were crates of puppies and we didn’t pay for her so the vet hinted that she might have been used for the kittens. I’m laying here now and I can hear her little noises when she’s breathing.
My question is are breathing complaints common with sphynx? Trying to prepare ourselves in case she does have some kind of serious illness that is more common in sphynx?
Thanks guys :)

Attachments

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Upper respiratory infections are not uncommon especially when they are stressed going to new homes. What antibiotics is she on?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Glad you took her out of that situation and she has a good loving home now. Hope the meds will help her to feel better soon. Sending healing vibes and cuddles

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That sounds like a puppy/ kitten mill. Not sure about your area, but where I am people report them to the local authorities and humane society.

NekidKats

Lairian
This is terrible. I'm so glad you got her away from this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm glad she's in a loving home now.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Tamsin , Awh bless you for opening your hearts and home to adorable Cleo

Please keep us updated often
It is not unusual for newly brought home kitties to get a possible stress related upper respiratory infection.
With all your love and care amd meds all paws crossed she will flourish

Glad you got her in for a wellness check

Look forward to your journey with us with lots of pics and tales!