Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is Oogi overweight? (Pics included)

kibaspirit

Lairian
Hello lair friends ~

The older he gets, the more Oogi will incessantly cry for food all the time. We free fed him until he was about 8 months old, but he got really fat when we did that, so we had to switch to a schedule.

This is his current feeding schedule: 1/4 cup in the morning, 1/4 cup at night. We do Hill's adult (1-6 yrs) dry kibble. Total: 4 oz of dry food/day.

Normally we feed him wet food too, but with the quarantine we ran out. I ordered some, but it's going to be tough to have a regular supply in the short term. When we have wet food his schedule looks like this:

1/4 cup dry kibble in the morning, 2 oz wet food in the evening. Total: 2oz dry, 2oz wet. Wet brand: Hill's adult - chicken.

Thoughts? I know cats have a "pooch" but I feel like Oogi is still like 1lb (half a kilo) overweight and he's getting proper portions. Is it too much food? We give him a greenie or two/temptations as a treat during nail trimmings - but no excessive treats.

I have pics for reference. Thanks for looking. Stay safe everyone :)

20200423_142926.jpg
20200423_143023.jpg

20200423_142541.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
awh. Oogie, you got a little sphynx pouch :) mine do too. mine love their SD kibble too. I believe Oogi and mine are a little rounder than some of our fellow sphynxies. what does his vet think about his weight?
hugs n head smooches

1587678990083.png

kibaspirit

Lairian
@Yoda mom I looked at that, he looks to be a bit on the overweight side. That's what the vet told us too - but I am wondering if we should cut back food any more than we have.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kibaspirit , i cut a little back on the hills kibble, he is still too chunky., working on that. oh man he screams when his bowl is empty! remember weight loss does take some time. I am reducing a bit and then weighing him periodically and will adjust if need be

Back