Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is sunblock or sunscreen safe for my sphynx cat?

lucylue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have read that some of you put sun block on your kitties, is this okay?

Last edited by a moderator:

angela1974

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Re: SUN BLOCK

NO! Sun Block is not okay.....The only things that are okay to absorb in the skin (which I've learned from here) is Olive Oil and Coconut Oil and those are for dry skin and Coconut oil is to help with dirt build up!! I would never put lotion or any type of stuff on their skin.:Sweat:

susi794

Staff member

There is supposedly one safe sun lotion specifically for cats available in the UK. I ordered some once--cost me an arm and a leg, but I can't remember the name. Be safer though and just don't use it. Always check the label on anything you might put on or in your sphynx-- lots of the stuff is toxic out there.

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

My breeder told me that if the sunblock is okay for a human baby, it'll be okay for kitty. I'll go read that label, now.

admin

Administrator
Staff member

No - Sunscreen is NOT safe for your cat. (Most if not all have Zinc Oxide - which can be poisonous to cats.) We have many threads on this subject as well. here is one http://www.sphynxlair.com/f34/all-terrain-petscreen-30-i-m-taking-action-8075/

p.s. - Sorry lucylue I changed your post title and moved your thread I wanted the title to be one which can be found easily and specific on the site about sunblock and also made it a "sticky" in our health section so it's right on top when entering that forum area. Thanks for bringing this up again!

Last edited:

lucylue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

No - Sunscreen is NOT safe for your cat. (Most if not all have Zinc Oxide - which can be poisonous to cats.) We have many threads on this subject as well. here is one http://www.sphynxlair.com/f34/all-terrain-petscreen-30-i-m-taking-action-8075/

p.s. - Sorry [MENTION=6165]lucylue[/MENTION] I changed your post title and moved your thread I wanted the title to be one which can be found easily and specific on the site about sunblock and also made it a "sticky" in our health section so it's right on top when entering that forum area. Thanks for bringing this up again!

That is fine :0)

FozzieBear

Lairian
I use an organic sunscreen for my cat and have never had any ill effects. Aloe Vera liquid extracted from the plant is NOT toxic to cats so long as there are no chemical additives such as alcohol, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate. But, do not let them gnaw on a household Aloe Vera plant as there is a difference. The liquid is fantastic for healing the digestive track, stimulating the immune system and acting as a natural anti-viral. It's been shown to increase the lifespan of cats with Feline Leukemia dramatically. It's also the carrier used for the emu oil in my cat's shampoo. It needs to be organic [preferably] and food grade (NOT the green gel junk you get from Meijer or Wal-Mart for human sunburns.)

This is a fantastic sunscreen I use for my cat (and dog, too!):

I hope your little one stays happy and sunburn free! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I use an organic sunscreen for my cat and have never had any ill effects. Aloe Vera liquid extracted from the plant is NOT toxic to cats so long as there are no chemical additives such as alcohol, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate. But, do not let them gnaw on a household Aloe Vera plant as there is a difference. The liquid is fantastic for healing the digestive track, stimulating the immune system and acting as a natural anti-viral. It's been shown to increase the lifespan of cats with Feline Leukemia dramatically. It's also the carrier used for the emu oil in my cat's shampoo. It needs to be organic [preferably] and food grade (NOT the green gel junk you get from Meijer or Wal-Mart for human sunburns.)

This is a fantastic sunscreen I use for my cat (and dog, too!):

I hope your little one stays happy and sunburn free! :D

Straight from the aspca website list of plants toxic to cats and the aloe plant is on it! I do not recommend anyone using this on your cat or even having the plant in your home with a cat in it. (due to the fact they may eat it).
Please remember this is a opinion and always ask your vet before using anything on your sphynx that is not for cats!

FozzieBear

Lairian
Straight from the aspca website list of plants toxic to cats and the aloe plant is on it! I do not recommend anyone using this on your cat or even having the plant in your home with a cat in it. (due to the fact they may eat it).
Please remember this is a opinion and always ask your vet before using anything on your sphynx that is not for cats!

Like I said in my post, the plant itself IS toxic to felines, however the juice extracted is not. There is a difference. Simply ask your vet or do a google search and you'll easily learn the difference between Aloe PLANTS and Aloe liquid EXTRACT.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said in my post, the plant itself IS toxic to felines, however the juice extracted is not. There is a difference. Simply ask your vet or do a google search and you'll easily learn the difference between Aloe PLANTS and Aloe liquid EXTRACT.

Just stating that I would not and I would hope that no one else would put their cat in danger by risking the fact that this is from the same plant that could cause harm to a cat.

FozzieBear

Lairian
Just stating that I would not and I would hope that no one else would put their cat in danger by risking the fact that this is from the same plant that could cause harm to a cat.

Your entitled to your opinion, however there is plenty of data showing that Aloe Vera juice/extract is beneficial for many feline ailments and cancers. My cat has been using it weekly for years and is the healthiest around, I'm sure.

Sited from the above link: "Aloe vera is considered toxic to cats by the Animal Poison Control Center. However, holistic veterinarian practitioners have found that aloe vera juice extracted from an organically grown freshly cut leaf can have several health benefits for cats. According to the Chaparral Animal Health Center's Wellvet website, aloe vera juice can be used internally to treat bowel disorders, constipation and inflammation."

The Aloe Vera should be organic and specifically formulated for cats. I've seen it work wonders for IBS. Just research it for yourself and you'll see how beneficial it can be for a sick kitty.

angela1974

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would just rather not take the chance...sometimes things are just better to be safe about it and have peace of mind!:Dizzy:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
If your kitty is a window "sun bather" you can get a few of these window shades and place them in his/ her favorite window spot.

Diono Cool Shade - Car Window Shade

coolshade_zps2af4df49.jpg

Lindsay

Lairian

Aloe is also toxic to cats and is in a lot of human baby products.

Actually aloe is not in a lot of baby products. Just a few that state it is in them. You really do not see many baby products with aloe in them. It is mainly in adult hygienic products. Most of what you see in baby products is Oatmeal which is also good for Sphynxs skin and is also soothing for skin irritations.

Joleen

Lairian
I've wondered about this too in the past but as everyone had mentioned the zinc is toxic the only solution I have found is to use baby sun block in a spray form because it absorbs faster and make sure it is fully dry before releasing kitty so he does not lick it.
However I have never tried this myself I just make sure to not let them out when it is really hot and they will usually be outside for longer periods of time when there is shade to sit under so that they are not sitting in the sun getting cooked.
Don't take my word for it though I have never tried this and I do not know if it is safe.

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is always a controversial subject. I think putting a shirt/hat on our babies is the simplest approach to this when going outdoors. Any windows that get full sunshine should have a shade or blinds on it. If its an overcast day, thats a plus:ThumbsUp:

RyuusMom

Lairian
Sunscreen is toxic to animals. It can ruin the liver and will slowly kill the animal. One application to properly protect a hairless cat from the sun is enough to cause health risks.

There is pet safe sunscreen. You have to look for cat safe. Because just dog safe wont do. Cats and dogs have different needs and unless its formulated for both, it can still cause issues.

I found an article about it. And I had to smile because it had a recipe for home made sunscreen, and they found it here on SphynxLair.

Here's the link:
http://www.cathospital.com/finding-a-cat-safe-sunscreen

Googling "cat safe sunblock" will give many options and articles to read on the subject.

However. If you know your baby has sensitive skin, it would probably best to limit sun exposure and just put a shirt on the kitty. Even with sunscreen, kitties with sensitive skin should probably stay out of the sun.

RyuusMom

Lairian
Sorry I only have Internet access through my iPod and tapatalk doesn't save your post so I have to go back and forth to get info.

Sadly the sunblock I found earlier last year has since been added to the list of not safe for cats but is ok for dogs. So it does t come up I. Search anymore.

And the only one I keep seeing mentioned is ok for cats has insect repellent in it. Sadly I can't sit the lists side by side of what's toxic to cats that's common in sunblock for people, and what's in the product ingredients for this stuff but here's the link so someone can check that out for themselves.

Sadly making safe sunblock for cats, mass produced, is hard because one of the main ingredients most common in sunblock, breaks down, once absorbed into their skin, turns to aspirin in their bodies. Which is deadly to cats.

Anyways. Here's the link to the product.

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingPages/pet_guard_gel.htm

mel2009

Lairian
I have been using a product called petscreen spf23 uva/UVB protection the past 3 years it's a non toxic sunscreen for pets it's in a 100ml spray bottle ( but you can always spray it onto some cotton wool and gently rub it onto the skin ) it dries fairly quickly - i paid £10.95 and use nearly a full bottle every summer

Another product I ordered was ainwell filtabac it's a antibacterial healing cream and says it does have sunblock in it but to be honest its really thick too heavy to put all over so I just use it on the top on kitty's head and ears and use it if he ever gets a cut-it dries white- if you google the above there is some testimonies and one of them was from a sphynx owner.
Hope this helps someone

Back