Is the Sphynx right for us? | Sphynxlair

Is the Sphynx right for us?

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Talk' started by PinkDuck, Jul 26, 2009.

1. PinkDuck

PinkDuckLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $240.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good evening! I've joined this forum to get more info and learn more about the breed. I have wanted a Sphynx for as long as I can remember! I just love them, they are so gorgeous and feel divine. And although I have always kept my eye out on available litters - it really hasn't been the right time. We've either been planning to move and didn't want to drag a kitty around, working and not had enough time to give the kitty lots of attention or I've been pregnant! But despite all of this, I have constantly nagged my husband. I have recently came across a breeder who lives not far from me and she has some beautiful Sphynx! I rang her today and she said that she has just mated two females but isn't sure whether they are actually pregnant yet. If they are, and I decide to take one... I could have a beautiful sphynx baby in December, I'm guessing, because she doesn't let them go till 14 weeks.

Anyhow, I also have two daughters. One is 21 months and the other is only 9 weeks! Are my children too young to introduce a Sphynx into our family? How is this breed with children? My husband's concern is cats around babies (he tells me stores of cats smothering babies) and that we aren't finished having children yet and isn't sure I should be around a cat when I am pregnant. Are these valid reasons? I really do want a sphynx - but only if it's going to work and it's right for my family.

The only sort of cat I have had before are long haired Persians.

If anyone has any info or advice - I'd love to hear it good or bad. Also, are there special names for the different colours? I am hoping to get a particular colour... lol.

Cate.

2. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $268,780.32
    Ratings:
    +17,229
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
    Hello and welcome to Sphynx lair Cate!
    I have not yet heard of a Sphynx smuthering a baby, although they do snuggle a lot more then normal cats. As far as pregnant I would think the only concern is litter dust, just get a dust free litter or a natural type litter. Here is some info on colors, hope this helps http://www.sphynxlair.com/showthread.php?t=37&highlight=colors.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your sphynx venture!:Laugh:

3. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $39.00
    Ratings:
    +440
    Hi Cate! Welcome to the forum!

Sphynx cats are wonderfully affectionate and easy going. I have yet to meet one that is at all temperamental. If I had small children, I would have no concerns at all about either of my sphynx's sharing a home with them. Like children, they are very inquisitive and will be more interactive with you than their furry counterparts...

As far as having a cat when pregnant, the only danger I'm aware of is changing the litter. It's a perfect excuse for you to make your husband do it for 9 months! :LOL:

The colors are named the same way a cat with fur would be named. For instance, Walter is a tabby and Helen is a calico (see the photos!). Their skin is the color their fur would be if they had it, and they come in a huge range of colors...What color are you interested in?

Attached Files:

4. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $137.00
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    Welcome to the site. Sphynx are very friendly cats.
    I got mine lat Dec and she is good with kids.
    We had 9 cats when my mom was preg with 2 of my sisters.
    In fact my manx would sleep in my sisters crib and protect here.
    Whiskers one of our other cats atatcked my sister when she was 4 and my manx stoped it.
    She was very protective of my sister.
    My sister is 26 now and has 2 cats.
    My other sister has 3 kids and 2 cats.
    Does the breeder have any idea what colors the kittens will be.
    Sounds like they might be due in August since they will be ready in Dec.
    Good Luck geting a sphynx.
    Once you have a sphynx you will want another.

5. PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +286
    The one thing that must be stressed is that you need to make sure your children react well to this breed of cat before purchasing. I can't tell you how many families purchase and then get rid of their cat because their family cannot handle them. I wound up with Buck and Buffy for the exact reason.

Having said that, no. They're not too young to introduce a cat to the family as long as no one has allergies. The breed is wonderful with children. They are playful and very tolerant. Toxoplasmosis is a main concern for women bearing children. However, recently there's been evidence that you're no more at risk BEFORE pregnancy as you are DURING or AFTER if you clean a catbox. If he's that concerned, let him have the job and you wont have to be worried. Cases of Toxoplasmosis are few and far between in cats, even more rare in people.

The most important thing aside from all that that I can relay is that you need to find a breeder that HCM screens their cats. If this isn't done, don't even bother buying a kitten as its health may be compromised and your new friend could suffer an untimely death. Do research on this, it's a problem with the breed and is NOT continent specific.

http://dsl.org/hcm/

My favorite color is a lighter cat: red or cream. I also appreciate dark cats because they don't look dirty as quickly as lighter colored cats do. I love blue eyed cats but recognize that many blue-eyed cats have a genetic disposition toward deafness---therefore, I've stuck with green-eyed individuals.

Here are all three of mine. Buck is the red, Buffy is the torti and Baldwin is the black:
    [​IMG]

6. PinkDuck

PinkDuckLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $240.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    I absolutely agree PitRottMommy! It is one of the things that weighs on my mind. My 21 month old has only ever shown gentle nature towards animals - but in the same breath, she's never really had any dealings with a kitten. And at the end of the day, small children can be quite rough - I'm frightened (although I would discourage any behavior of the sort from my toddler) that it will have a negative affect on the kitty and we will end up with a cranky cat that is afraid of us. It's definitely why I am not taking the decision of introducing a new feline member into our family too lightly.

My husband isn't a cat lover, so I couldn't imagine him taking over the litter duty. Despite him not being a cat lover, he certainly warmed to my old persian and I would catch them on the couch together him stroking her and her lapping it up! But really, what would be there difference of changing the litter and the kitty walking in the litter and then walking around the house, jumping up on the table, climbing all over you. Long as we keep good hygiene habits and wash before we eat right?

You have all made me feel much better about introducing a sphynx, and seeing all of your photos - which are just gorgeous, makes me want one even more!

I like the light coloured sphynx and these sort - not sure what you would call this sort

http://www.sphynxcats.com.au/view-sphynx-cats-details.php?theProduct=70 and

http://www.barebeautiessphynx.com/kittens.php

The second URL is the website of the lady I have been talking too. She did mention getting the kitties tested for HCM yearly, as I had never heard of it before.

I am just guessing that if her cat's have had a successful mating I might have one in December. She told me that she had just put her boy with her two girls and he had done the deed, but she wasn't sure if they were pregnant yet. So I thought if they had only just mated, she'd be due in about 2 months and then roughly 14 weeks is about December? Even if she does have a successful litter, she has 4 people on the list before me - so I may not get one from this/these litters depending how many are in the litter (not sure what the norm is). Plus (I know they are all beautiful) but I will be quite picky with one - I want one that we're inlove with and I feel will fit into our family well, if that makes sense.

I'm so excited! If you don't mind me asking, how much is a sphynx kitten in the states?

7. PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +286
    I paid 1300 for Baldwin at base price. It was about $2000 after shipping. I adopted his brother and sister from a rescue (long story) for $500 each, plus cost of driving halfway across the US. They are all three altered.

You are looking for a black and white or a blue and white tux kitten. Those are pictured.

8. Mews2much

Sphynx Bucks:
    $137.00
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    The sphynx on the first link looks like my Cleo.
    The 2nd one on the breeders site is a black and white bi color and the 3rd one is black.
    I like how she has the pedigrees on her site and she does HCM scans.
    The scans are important.
    I know people that have paid $500 for pet quality all the way up to $4000 for show quality.
    It depends on litter size.
    I know people that have had only 2in and litter and others that had 7-8 kittens.
    Also some peopleon the waiting list might want certain sexes and colors.
    You will love having a sphynx.
    I sure like Cleo and am getting another sphynx.

9. PinkDuck

PinkDuckLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $240.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys! She is charging $1400, but the other breeder (the other link I provided) was about $2500 and she wasn't even registered. I wondered what the difference was. I'm only keen on the breeder I have been in contact with because she lives rather close - only about 2 hours away, and I'd rather see what I'm getting and see how the children react when they see them. I don't like the thought of getting the luck of the draw....

By looking at everyone's photo's, I really haven't seen one that I haven't liked the look of! They are so sweet. I don't know how people can say they are ugly - I just think they are so sweet! I went to a breeders last year just to have a look at them in the flesh - gawsh, they felt divine!! They were so friendly and just so snuggly. I do hope I am able to get one from the breeders next liter. I offered to put down a deposit with her, but she doesn't work that way she said. She waits till she actually has kittens and whether there is one we like.

ETA - M2M, I can't believe your gorgeous Cleo posed for a photo like that.... Very cute!

10. Mews2much

Sphynx Bucks:
    $137.00
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    Thanks the breeder took that picture before I got her.
    I think she was around 11weeks old in the picture.
    I had the picture made into a sig by someone in a cat site I am in.

Here is a picture I took of Cleo.

http://www.sphynxlair.com/picture.php?albumid=43&pictureid=514
    $2500 for a unregistered cat is way to much.
    Most breeders I know do not take deposits until you pick your kitten out.
    I took a chance with Cleo because there was no way I could meet her in person before Igot her.
    It was almost a 2 hour drive to the airport but she was worth it.
    Do you know when the kittens are due?

11. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $268,780.32
    Ratings:
    +17,229
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
    Hello Pinkduck,
    Sphynx kittens prices generally vary by hairlessness, last year our kittens had a little more fuzz to them then this years litter. We sold our kittens last year for 1000.00 but this years litter have virtually no hair so they will sell for about 1200.00 to 1500.00. The normal price in the states is about 1000.00 to 1500.00. If some one is not registered I would not even bother.
    Good luck!:Laugh:

12. PinkDuck

PinkDuckLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $240.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I thought the same thing about them not being registered.

M2M - EEeeeeeeeeeee! I love her!! Cleo is just so sweet....... No wonder you want another. I'm just imagining the feel of her warm soft skin now - heaven! I don't know when the kittens are due, All she said was that they had only just mated. So I was just loosely calculating.

I'll let you all know how I go.

13. PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +286
    I also recommend avoiding breeders that don't paper their kittens. There's no excuse. Many people that breed without papers are doing so against contract. They purchase a "must alter at 6 months of age" kitten and don't alter it. They then breed and sell the kittens without papers (which they would have received once it was altered). That is absolutely NOT making this breed any better.

I, personally, don't believe in "pet only" cats either. To me, "pet only" should simply denote that it's altered--therefore giving you no choice. Although you can still show in the alters class, I think its important to recognize that "pet only" should not be the discards of the litter. All of the cats should show great qualities and there should be very, very, very few culls. I've mentioned the breeder that bred all three of my cats. I've never seen ANYTHING but perfect kittens from her lines. They're always healthy, vibrant, show quality, sticky bald babies. I recommend that everyone look to find the same in a breeder before choosing. You want top quality even if you don't intend to breed or show. Quality often denotes health.