Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is this a sign of a kitten mill or is it common practice?

Theedaysleeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
One particular sphynx breeder I've been looking at also breeds bambinos, elfs and dwelfs. Is this common practice for reputable sphynx breeder to also breed several other kinds of similar cats or is this a red flag? I've read that kitten and puppy mills will often breed several different breeds of animal in order to increase profit. When the breeder advertises an above board practice (all the right health tests, guarantees, strong web presence, vet refs, past customer referrals, etc...) is this still a concern or a sign of a well established breeder?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Theedaysleeper I know here in the Netherlands there a a few very reputable and good breeder how breed bambino's, elfs and sphynxes. They're all from the same breed and as breeder they do know a lot about sphynx. So I guess it make sense they also breed a variaty of sphynx types. In the Netherlands only sphynx are considered as an officieel breed. The elfs, bambino's are not an official breed (yet).

I would say if the other signs about this breeder are good it's not a red flag.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Theedaysleeper , research research ... I would definitely visit - personally if I am looking for a sphynx , I prefer a breeder that puts 100% into the Betterment of one breed. HCM scanning etc
I am sure there are reputable multi breed breeders and members will chime in

Just to share , years ago I was searching for a reputable Bengal breeder ..
A particular breeder was winning in all the cat shows , gorgeous kitties , paperwork , etc

I asked to visit his cattery ... I pulled up and was soo saddened to see rows and rows of dog kennel filled with kitties ..adults and kittens - there is noooo way there would be enough time in a day to do all the cat shows all over the country plus hand raise underfoot all these kitties, get vetted , HCM screened etc
I was sad for these babies and the images are burned in my mind forever.

I personally always suspect a for profit business when I see multiple breeds (doing the math in my head) I cannot imagine the time and dedication of multi breed program -especially if working a full time position too
It definitely makes for more researching

I would definitely be asking how many litters they have per year of each breed they are selling
and reasoning for a multi breed program ?

Cricket90265

Lairian
I think that the breeder has some interesting genetics in their cattery. This reputable breeder is breeding genetic variations within the sphynx breed.

I have a Dwelf stud cat and 3 sphynx females. My cats are still young and haven't had their tests for HCM yet. They will not be bred until they prove clear of HCM but...... when I breed my Dwelf to my sphynx, I will get 1/4 of the litter sphynx, 1/2 short leg, 1/2 elf ear, 1/4 both elf ear and short leg, Dwelf.

Homozygous for short legs results in the embryo being re absorbed in the first few days of fertilization. Any breeder of bambinos, which are all heterozygous for short legs will get some sphynx kittens.

Elf ears can either be homozygous (carry two of the same gene) or heterozygous, (carry one elf ear gene and one normal ear gene). The elf ear trait is dominate, i.e. If the cat carries the gene, he will have elf ears. In the case of my stud cat, he is heterozygous for elf ears. I know that because he has one normal ear parent (homozygous for normal ears) and one parent with elf ears(heterozygous for elf ears, I know that cat is heterzygous for elf ears, because he has some kittens with normal ears). When I breed my stud cat to my sphynx females, 1/2 of the kittens will be heterozygous for elf ears, 1/2 will be homozygous for normal ears.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 26

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Cricket90265 you mention in your post above that this breeder the member is questioning is reputable. Gene variation is not alone what makes a breeder reputable. There is much more than varied genes that make a breeder a good breeder. I agree interesting genetics, but no way to say reputable without knowing more.

Patti

Cricket90265

Lairian
I was quoting her question about reputable breeders. *shrug*. A sphynx breeder is more likely to be raising several variations of sphynx, bambino, elf, Dwelf and the ones with folded ears, or short tail, I forget what they are called, than breeders of other kinds of cats.

Reputation has to do with the health of the breeding cats, the health of the kittens, socialization, and continuing support by the breeder.

Back