Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Is this normal after bath time?

Lunas Mommy

Lairian
Hey!

So today was our first bath together! The breeder told us Luna did like baths so I was a bit nervous.

It was a 2 man job simply because mom and I felt more comfortable that way. She complained in the beginning and then settled down and lets us give her a nice bath and clean her ears (first time as well!)

This was in the morning. I've noticed that she's been licking her self A LOT more than the other days I've seen so far. To the point that some parts look like she's licked them raw.

We used coconut oil and baby shampoo. Could this cause it? I think this is her first actual bath because I know the breeder never cut her nails, cleaned her ears..etc so I doubt she has given her a real bath besides some baby wipes.

What should I do?

Thank you!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Were you able to rinse her extremely well ? Especially using coconut oil-
I personally switched awhile ago to recommended Hylyt shampoo - soap free , hypoallergenic -
All 4 of mine do great with Hylyt- mine haaaate baths - Hylyt is very forgiving and easy to rinse-
I started with baby shampoo and coconut oil years ago - I switched to Hylyt and never looked back -
I recently added a few drops of Avenalyt by the same company and it is very good too-

I get both on line or at my vets office -

I would suggest perhaps a plain warm water rinse and warm towel ( no fabric softener ).

Also using unscented alcohol free baby wipes
And be sure not to over clean daily - they need some natural oils and too much cleaning or bathing too often can cause skin problems too-

Hope others will chime in soon too and your baby gets some relief-

Keep us posted

Attachments

Lunas Mommy

Lairian
Were you able to rinse her extremely well ? Especially using coconut oil-
I personally switched awhile ago to recommended Hylyt shampoo - soap free , hypoallergenic -
All 4 of mine do great with Hylyt- mine haaaate baths - Hylyt is very forgiving and easy to rinse-
I started with baby shampoo and coconut oil years ago - I switched to Hylyt and never looked back -
I recently added a few drops of Avenalyt by the same company and it is very good too-

I get both on line or at my vets office -

I would suggest perhaps a plain warm water rinse and warm towel ( no fabric softener ).

Also using unscented alcohol free baby wipes
And be sure not to over clean daily - they need some natural oils and too much cleaning or bathing too often can cause skin problems too-

Hope others will chime in soon too and your baby gets some relief-

Keep us posted
Yes I rinsed her well. I used the tiniest amount of oil on her and only on her head, tail and back. She's licking her arms/legs quite a bit.

I've heard about Hylyt shampoo. I'll look into it! Thanks! I don't plan on bathing her more than once a week or even 2 weeks. She wears shirts and they absorb the oils well.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They, will, lick themselves, after a bath. It's natural. I recommend
the HyLyt Shampoo. It's great shampoo. I, wouldn't, leave the shirts
or sweaters, on all day and night. This, can dry, their skin. Cause irritation.
Their, skin, needs fresh air. Needs to breathe. Don't, leave the clothes on,
when, she's alone. Too dangerous. They can get caught and hang themselves.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you use coconut oil you need to make sure you wash it off well with another "soap" there is a store here on lair that sell organic soaps, coconut oil brilliant to loosen dirt however babies love the taste of if so will lick themselves if it still on and if still in as good as it is at loosening dirt if left on its a dirt magnet.

Lunas Mommy

Lairian
Her clothes come off at night. We have to keep her in a sweater because our apartment is cool.

cherp

Lairian
What a coincidence . . . I was also going to seek out the Lair's advice about shampoo. I have noticed that little Zoey gets bumps (almost like hives) in the days after we bathe her (and we do rinse her well). They are raised and I think she either scratches or licks them which causes them to scab over. I have used both Baby Shampoo and just recently changed to Burt's Bees gentle shampoo and she still seems to get these bumps. It breaks my heart to see her have these. Like Luna's Mommy, I live in Canada, and although we can get the HyLyt shampoo shipped here, the shipping costs more than the actual shampoo. Does anyone else have other suggestions for a mild shampoo? If not, I think I am just going to have to bite the shipping cost.

CalicoVelvet

Lairian
What a coincidence . . . I was also going to seek out the Lair's advice about shampoo. I have noticed that little Zoey gets bumps (almost like hives) in the days after we bathe her (and we do rinse her well). They are raised and I think she either scratches or licks them which causes them to scab over. I have used both Baby Shampoo and just recently changed to Burt's Bees gentle shampoo and she still seems to get these bumps. It breaks my heart to see her have these. Like Luna's Mommy, I live in Canada, and although we can get the HyLyt shampoo shipped here, the shipping costs more than the actual shampoo. Does anyone else have other suggestions for a mild shampoo? If not, I think I am just going to have to bite the shipping cost.

Hi,
Cally gets red bath bumps too! (Just found this) Initially, I used the stuff the breeder said to use, but it seemed she started to get bumps. I went through every baby/gentle shampoo I could find. Discussing sensitivity with my mom & she mentioned having some ivory soap still. I'd tried everything. Now I wash my cat like the delicate she is! Still gets some bumps, but fewer/ smaller/ go away quicker.

Lunas Mommy

Lairian
Hi,
Cally gets red bath bumps too! (Just found this) Initially, I used the stuff the breeder said to use, but it seemed she started to get bumps. I went through every baby/gentle shampoo I could find. Discussing sensitivity with my mom & she mentioned having some ivory soap still. I'd tried everything. Now I wash my cat like the delicate she is! Still gets some bumps, but fewer/ smaller/ go away quicker.
Luna got some bumps yesterday too! They've gone away now, but that area looks a bit dry. Maybe its an allergy to the baby shampoo?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lunas Mommy , perhaps fellow Canadian @Xandria can share her source for Hylyt ?

No bumps no after licking with it- and mine haaaate water! I have to start with a dry wash tub with a towel on the bottom and use a big pitchy of water wit baby wash clothes amd Hylyt in it-
It's not pretty but they get clean and no side effects on skin-

Claire bare once in awhile gets a teenie heat rash by her spay wrinkle fat pad - the Hylyt works great- I added a few drops of soothing Avenalyt to the Hylyt mix and clears up next day-

I use very diluted Hylyt for in between wipe downs with baby washy cloths instead of baby wipes - and have no skin issues using it this way too on all four sphynx - I go 1x a month for full spa day with this combination

All four of mine are soft bump free after using Hylyt - I hope you can find a reasonable source for it or someone chime in

I would suspect Luna is sensitive to the baby shampoo -

I would let her skin perhaps recover and build up a little natural oil-
Not sure if the baby shampoo strips it down - kind of like when I use a certain bar soap on my face - it feels more taught dry than with other products

Looking forward to more pics ! She is sooo pretty

CalicoVelvet

Lairian
Cally's bumps go away almost immediately. I'd say she was allergic to the water, if she didn't hop in and watch the shower dry after Ma gets out.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I love HyLyt. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a Canadian source. I simply order it from the United States and have it shipped to my good friend in Chicago, who then either brings it up to me during one of her trips, or send it by post in one of the packages we frequently exchange. I wish someone would sell it.

However, I did find a source in Ontario that has something very similar, & I will post that information here once I get back to my computer.

Lunas Mommy

Lairian
I love HyLyt. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a Canadian source. I simply order it from the United States and have it shipped to my good friend in Chicago, who then either brings it up to me during one of her trips, or send it by post in one of the packages we frequently exchange. I wish someone would sell it.

However, I did find a source in Ontario that has something very similar, & I will post that information here once I get back to my computer.
Yes please let me know! I'm in Ontario, I don't mind paying for shipping if it means Luna will be all good but if there's an alternative I'd like to try it out :)

Where in Canada are you from?

Lunas Mommy

Lairian
@Lunas Mommy , perhaps fellow Canadian @Xandria can share her source for Hylyt ?

No bumps no after licking with it- and mine haaaate water! I have to start with a dry wash tub with a towel on the bottom and use a big pitchy of water wit baby wash clothes amd Hylyt in it-
It's not pretty but they get clean and no side effects on skin-

Claire bare once in awhile gets a teenie heat rash by her spay wrinkle fat pad - the Hylyt works great- I added a few drops of soothing Avenalyt to the Hylyt mix and clears up next day-

I use very diluted Hylyt for in between wipe downs with baby washy cloths instead of baby wipes - and have no skin issues using it this way too on all four sphynx - I go 1x a month for full spa day with this combination

All four of mine are soft bump free after using Hylyt - I hope you can find a reasonable source for it or someone chime in

I would suspect Luna is sensitive to the baby shampoo -

I would let her skin perhaps recover and build up a little natural oil-
Not sure if the baby shampoo strips it down - kind of like when I use a certain bar soap on my face - it feels more taught dry than with other products

Looking forward to more pics ! She is sooo pretty
I'll post some soon! She is gorgeous :)

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Argh, the Dermalyte Hypoallergenic Shampoo has been backordered forever, and still is. SIGH! I am so sorry.

However, many pet stores carry this:
Store | Canadian Pet Connection

Also, I like this company (their website sucks though) and have ordered from them before. They are knowledgeable and a joy to chat with. You may wish to look at:
Pets Drug Mart - Epi-Soothe

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I live in Canada too. I use Dr bronner's baby mild pure Castile soap. It is organic all natural and extremely gentle. Just be sure to only buy the baby mild because the other scents have essential oils that are toxic to cats. I buy the liquid one from London drugs. I think you can also get it in whole foods or other health stores too if you live in the east, but it is cheaper at London drugs. It works best if you have soft water which is why I think it isn't popular in the states but it works super great for me and Frida. I don't need coconut oil to get off tough grime, the Dr. Bronner's works great on its own.