Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

MereB

Lairian
Akira has one of these lumps on the back of her thigh on both back legs. One side is slightly bigger than the other. They are visible when she's standing as a small bump on the back of her leg and I can't feel them in my furred cat. It's fairly mobile and feels for all the world like a cyst or something.
Is it something I should ask my breeder about?
We're off to the vet for sterilization in the next week or so so will be asking him about them then.

2vinh9t.jpg

Apologies for the image size, though it might be handy to be able to see it bigger.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Just checked my sphynxes to see if they have these kind of lumps on their back leg too but didn't find them. At least not if I looked in the right place. Cause Akira has the lumps on the part of his legs between his legs and butt am I right? Not the first part (paw till 'knee'?)? Cause on this part they do have lumps.
I did check cause ceveral times a member posted about two lumps on legs and we found out that all ou sphynxes have it but we all never noticed.

You say Akira has the lumps pn both of her legs. That makes me think it's something normal. But of course it's always best to let the vet check it and ask the breeder. Let us know what you find out!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Mere no, mine do not have this. Very interested in what your vet has to say. I find it odd both legs have them...are the bumps the same size in each leg? Ask your breeder where vaccinations were given. It looks low, but you never know.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@MereB let us know what you find out from the breeder and vet. My first thought after I checked to see if any of mine have that here (which they don't) is vaccinations, but the lumps are in an odd place to give vaccinations. Now I'm wondering if it's something your sphynx is sitting on that caused that. Is there anything odd that Akira sits on that isn't soft or just the floor?

MereB

Lairian
Thanks guys. Vet is set for Wednesday for her de-sexing and hernia repair and he will have a look at them then too.
@GoldHazel She hasn't been sitting on anything that I can think of that would sit funny across there. I did think maybe she had been sitting somewhere and it had been pressing on her legs but couldn't think where or what that would be.
@Catzzzmeow one lump is ever so slightly smaller than the other but it's not really much of a difference at all.
@Toa and Ross I though it odd that it was both legs that's why I asked. I would normally tend to think that if it's on the same spot on both sides then maybe it's meant to be there lol but then I couldn't find them on Sheba.

The lumps don't bother her and they aren't sore to touch. They feel to be under the skin and what little fat she has but not actually attached to the muscle so it's completely possible it's where her vaccinations were given.
She finally stood still for long enough for me to get a picture of them while she is standing up so you can see where they are exactly.
I emailed the breeder and she's not worried about them, said they get them sometimes but will get vet to check them out anyway so maybe it really is just the Vax sites. Either way we will see what the vet thinks on Wednesday. I'll let you know what he says.
ok Picture
v321x3.jpg

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@MereB I will be thinking of you and keeping fingers crossed it's nothing to be concerned about. When you touch these lumps, can you describe how they feel to you? Specifically, do they feel soft and squishy or fairly hard and firm?

Did your breeder mention that they do get vaccines in that area? I wasn't sure what your breeder meant by saying sometimes they get that. Here in the U.S., I've never heard of vaccines given in that area. The lumps from a vaccine are usually caused by live vaccines. So maybe before Wednesday, it would be a good idea to find out the name of the vaccines given and if they were live vaccines as well as the location.

MereB

Lairian
@MereB I will be thinking of you and keeping fingers crossed it's nothing to be concerned about. When you touch these lumps, can you describe how they feel to you? Specifically, do they feel soft and squishy or fairly hard and firm?

Did your breeder mention that they do get vaccines in that area? I wasn't sure what your breeder meant by saying sometimes they get that. Here in the U.S., I've never heard of vaccines given in that area. The lumps from a vaccine are usually caused by live vaccines. So maybe before Wednesday, it would be a good idea to find out the name of the vaccines given and if they were live vaccines as well as the location.
@GoldHazel I asked hubby where they usually vaccinate kitties here in Australia and he said in the scruff of the neck but it's been almost 30 years since he worked in the cat shelter so things may have changed ;)
The lumps are firm but not hard like little rocks they have a little give in them. They are smooth and don't really have any bumps on them to speak of. I did feel what felt like and attachment point at the top of one of them so it's entirely possible it's the lymph node as @admin suggested. If it is the lymph node it could be anything from a mild infection/virus (live vax could do it) or allergy all the way up to cancer. Their lymph nodes function like ours do and get swollen for the same reasons.
She has had one gunky eye in the last couple of days and she is sneezing out a LOT of snot, usually all over me :rolleyes: so a simple bug may be all it is. One side felt slightly smaller today, but that may just be wishful thinking too lol I wish I could pin point how long she's had them but I only found them Friday night.

She is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, exploring, playing, harassing Sheba and hanging around with her humans like normal so if she's not feeling well she is doing a very good job of hiding it.(n)

The breeder didn't seem worried at all and she's been doing this for almost as long as I've been on the planet so I trust her judgement.
I will let you all know where we're at on Wednesday when we get home.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@MereB I'll be looking for your post on Wednesday. Is she on medicine for her nasal and eye discharge? If her lymph nodes are swollen because of an infection, the back of her legs would not be swollen from a URI. It would have to be something lower down that's infected to cause the swelling there. Whatever it is, I will keep my fingers crossed it's nothing serious. Wishing you the best.

MereB

Lairian
And we're done!
Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers.
Sterilization and hernia repair went really well, she has 2 little incisions and 4 stitches in total that I can take out and 10 and 12 days post op. She woke up beautifully and has had her lunch as usual. I swear wild horses couldn't keep Akira from her food. My little piggy. I had to confiscate the bowl so she didn't make herself sick. She's a real little rebel now, she got herself a tattoo in her ear lol.

Those lumps are her lymph glands which means her system is fighting something but the good news is it means her immune system is nice and strong and is fighting. He's not worried about it they go up and down in various locations in all cats it's completely normal and given that she has not been acting strangely at all he's certain it will pass in due time. Took some blood while she was in pre-op just to absolutely rule out anything sinister and he will call me if he finds anything untoward.

So that's where we are. Akira is now home and sleeping quietly in her cuddle sack on her heat mat with a full belly.

@GoldHazel she doesn't need meds at this stage. It's gone today but the only discharge from her nose was at high speed as she sneezed in my face, several times I think she does it on purpose, it's not running at all and her eye had a few blobs of thick gunk that I wiped away but they were intermittent at best and with no redness, swelling or watering I was happy to let her immune system do it's job. Had it gotten worse/red/itchy/sticky I would have medicated. A mild mix of salt water is also good for treating gunky eyes. Just wet a cotton ball with it and wipe their eyes clean.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@MereB so glad to hear the steralization and hernia repair went well and that Akira is back home! Hope she will recover quickly. A good sign that she's already eating. And what a relief the lumps turn out nothing to worry about.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Glad it went well. Thanks for updating us on those bumps, @admin was correct I see about them being lymph glands. Glad your vet is not concerned at this point. Happy healing vibes are sent.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@MereB so happy the hungry little girl is home and doing very well after surgery. You can relax now. :)

Oh, yes, I certainly understand about getting sneezed on here too. LOL That's the least of what's gotten on me. Hehe!

Hopefully all the blood tests will come back normal and just keep an eye on her belly and glands for now. I appreciate your update, thank you.

MereB

Lairian
Little update. Akira is doing well post op. We have to be careful about how we pick her up and handle her and aside from moving a little more carefully she is back to her old self although she is chewing anything and everything, maybe she's teething I don't know. She has finally, for now at least, given up on trying to remove her stitches herself. I was assured she wouldn't be able to dislodge them but I still wasn't happy with her pulling on them.

The big news of course is that her lumps are now half the size they were, the sneezing has stopped and we've had no more eye gunk so whatever it was her body is clearly winning the fight.​

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@MereB so happy to read this update and to hear Akira's recovery is going well. Glad to hear she's not trying to remove her stiches anymore. You go Akira, on the way back to get healthy again!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Continued healing vibes sent from our household. Glad to hear things are going well. What a trooper!!!

MereB

Lairian
Wow it's been a hectic few weeks. Sick children, sick Husband and poorly kitty really eats up the free time.
Akira's bloods didn't show anything out of the ordinary so that's good.
I removed her stitches on day 10. I had to remove the hernia repair ones 2 days early (should have been 12 days) because the little miss had managed to completely UNTIE the knots on both hernia stitches and they were just loose threads sticking out of her skin :shifty: little monkey.
Her incisions have healed beautifully and you can barely see that they are even there any more.
We've been treating a skin staph infection for the past 10ish days. Can't be 100% sure why it took hold but we suspect that the lack of bathing while her stitches were in and the furry cat bringing fleas into the house AGAIN and us finding several on her that flea bites may very well have triggered it. They started as tiny little skin coloured bumps that just grew. The skin on the back of her neck looked like a really warty toads skin with more smaller lumps all over her.
Quick call to the breeder and we were straight onto a regime of baths every other day in clean and balanced Head and Shoulders shampoo and twice daily applications of betadine (Providone Iodine) liquid. There's nothing in either that will hurt her apparently and it's now almost completely gone. We noticed a difference within 12 hours, I am so glad the breeder has been doing this for so long, it's hard to find that kind of experience based knowledge. I didn't think to take pictures to share of her lumps :( I have seen the same lumps on other kitties here, maybe I can find some later.
Furry baby is now a strictly indoor cat again, I'm not having flees in this house a third time. She's old, its time she stayed inside anyway.
I think that's everything.

Back