Is this normal?? | Sphynxlair

Is this normal??

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by GussyAnn, Sep 22, 2009.

1. GussyAnn

GussyAnnLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $294.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I have a few more questions. My kitty is almost 3 months old and she hardly ever meows. I have read that sphynxs usually 'talk' a lot. Should I be concerned that my kitty is pretty much mute?

Also, last night she gave herself a hicky!! I woke up to the sound of sucking...she was curled up sleeping in my arm put nook like she always does but...she was sucking on herself. I woke her up and there was a little red mark where she had been sucking. Is this normal??

2. Pbinky

PbinkyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $0.00
    Ratings:
    +116
    how long have you had her? sometimes they suckle when they leave their mom a bit too soon but 3 months is usually ok. but it's not a good habit to have so if you see her doing it you should probably interrupt. As for the meowing, my little boys didn't meow very much in the beginning but now they never stop. Constantly talking to me, each other, to themselves. :Hysterical:

3. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $137.00
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    My Cleo hardly meowed when she was younger but now she talks all the time.
    Give her time she will meow .
    Young kittens do suck on themself it is normal.
    I have had somany kittens and had some that did that.
    One even sucked on his hernia.
    Do not worry about it.
    My new 12 week old sphynx kitten talks.

4. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $39.00
    Ratings:
    +440
    Hi GussyAnn,
    My first sphynx boy, Harold, very rarely ever meowed. He was six years old and if he ever meowed at me it was a major event!

Of the four I have now, my two girls don't talk very often unless they are hungry or want something but my two boys talk CONSTANTLY...I think it's different for each cat. I wouldn't be concerned if your girl stays quiet.

As for the sucking...I've had cats that suck on other things, but never had one that sucked on itself!! But, this was usually a cat that was taken from its mother before it was completely weaned.

5. Hairlesslove

HairlessloveSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $281.00
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi GussyAnn!, Our Mickey rarely meows,He meows when he is hungry or just calling us! :)....I guess it is different in every cat!..:ThumbsUp:

• Like Like x 2
    • ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLocoV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $2,459.20
      Ratings:
      +993
      I have to agree. Butterball only squeaked occasionally when he was younger, now his meows can be quite loud. So loud indeed I can here them in the backyard. He sounds like he is crying or something. then when I get closer it turns into a happy "glad to see you meow". I wouldn't worry, he'll be busting ear drums before long, methinks.

• myspecialboy

myspecialboyLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $694.16
      Ratings:
      +71
      You are more than welcome to have my Chadwick's voicebox! I like the "purrmow"s he does, but when I get ready for bed and he's not ready for me to go to bed, I get the most "special" kind of "MEEEEEOOOOOWWWWAAA! MEEOOWWAAA!" one could recieve. When he was a kitten (17 months old now), he used to sing in the litterbox when he pooped. It was kinda cute!

• GussyAnn

GussyAnnLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $294.00
      Ratings:
      +0
      Okay, Gussy Ann sucks on her tummy every night! When ever she wakes up and is still in that sleepy phase, she starts sucking on her self...and she slobbers a lot when she is doing it. I stop her everytime I catch her but, it is really weirding me out.

And...she chews on EVERYTHING! Will she grow out of this? I thought maybe she is teething or somthing and that is why she chews on everything. How do I get her to stop. Yesterday I caught her chewing on the brick of the fire place...that can't be good.

• ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $6,040.16
      Ratings:
      +3,086
      • Fish
      • Dragon fly
      • Candy
      :Question::Question:sounds like our puppy Delilah who is chewing everything!!!!
      As far as Gussy Ann the sucking sounds like she is still looking for her mommy, but the chewing??? you have got me on that one, I would just be careful she does not eat something that could hurt her.

• GussyAnn

GussyAnnLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $294.00
      Ratings:
      +0
      Now she is starting to chew on me! When I play with her, she will wrap her arms and legs around my hand and bit my fingers. I know she is just playing and doesnt mean any harm...but her sharp little teeth hurt. How do I get her to stop bitting?

• ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $6,040.16
      Ratings:
      +3,086
      • Fish
      • Dragon fly
      • Candy
      You have to tell her no when she does this and do not let her do it at all if you want it to stop.
      If you let her do it just sometimes she will think it is ok and not understand when you say no!

Just wondering if she has started meowing yet?

• nbolin

nbolinSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $312.00
      Ratings:
      +133
      not sure about the meowing thing. Kreacher was very talkative from day one! As for the sucking..kreacher also does this, except to me. Usually my arm or leg lol

• GussyAnn

GussyAnnLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $294.00
      Ratings:
      +0
      She has started talking a little. I started giveing her treats in the evening...when she sees the treat container, she meows really loud.

• Haji the Sphynx

Haji the SphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $129.00
      Ratings:
      +167
      Haji suckles on himself. It started when he was about 6 months old, I got him when he was 3.5 months, he was with him mom that whole time. He kneads when he does as well.

It's super gross, and it took me a while to break him of the habit, but eventually it nearly stopped.

It appears to me to be a comfort mechanism. I notice he does it more if I'm out of town for a few days and have to re-break him of the habit.

I'd rather he sucks on himself than me or another object.

However, it's pretty funny when he does it while sitting on a friends lap. I giggle. My friends are just horrified and Haji couldn't care less. He's enjoying himself, afterall!