Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

It Feels Like The Plague

susi794

Staff member
Sorry I've been absent/silent for awhile. It feels like a plague has descended on my house. Ever since I brought Lulu into my home, things have gotten progressively worse...I've lost 12 newborns, a 6 week old, and a two week old kitten. I just took all 11 of my cats to the vet three days ago--the three remaining kits for eye infections and the 8 adults for their 3rd round of antibiotics. First we did a round of amoxycillin, then a round of Clavamox and now they just got their second injection of gentamicin, with one more injection to go. Thursday night I had the first evening in quite awhile without the retching/gagging sounds of cats in distress--thank God. This antibiotic appears to be working. I also just had my male neutered so we can take a no kitten break for 6-7 months--this way everyone can get healthy again and I will also have a chance to take everyone at once for their HCM scans. Boo and Lulu need to be about a year old (according to the clinic at Michigan State University) before getting them scanned. I am going to decide then which of my females to retire/spay. I can't bear to lose anybody else...I just can't. Lulu's breeder, a "CFA cattery of Excellence", had to have known she was sick. Told me to "watch out for the sniffles" since the day she shipped her it was cold out. I had quarantined Lulu for 7 days before I let her be with my other cats but it obviously wasn't enough. I pray that the gentamicin will do the trick. Am just about at the end of my rope. Othie Marie was coughing so loud and hyperextending her neck with her tongue hanging out, that it broke my heart to watch, then when she wouldn't eat, I was afraid I was going to lose her. I am keeping my fingers crossed that she continues to improve.
Moody is doing well after the neuter--but still trying to mate all the girls--hope he will give that up soon. Anybody know how long it will take for him to lose the urge?
This has been really disheartening--practically everyone was pregnant during this whole thing and the only babies that survived were Bertha Rose and Mabel's three babies- Noel, Eggnog and Coal. Thank God they are still chubby and healthy. Mabel is ok too, but we are treating her so that she won't carry the bacteria in some kind of dormant state only to pass it along again later. I was worried about the babies nursing, but the vet said the kits should be fine.
Please remember us in your prayers.
With much love,
Susi, Moody, Habibi, Othie Marie, Dulcinea, Mabel, Pruney, Boo, Lulu, Bertha Rose, Noel, Eggnog, and Coal

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh no :Cry: I'm so sorry to hear about your babies. It's so hard to watch them when they're not feeling well, and you feel so helpless. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. Hope this works and everyone is feeling better very soon!!

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sorry I've been absent/silent for awhile. It feels like a plague has descended on my house. Ever since I brought Lulu into my home, things have gotten progressively worse...I've lost 12 newborns, a 6 week old, and a two week old kitten. I just took all 11 of my cats to the vet three days ago--the three remaining kits for eye infections and the 8 adults for their 3rd round of antibiotics. First we did a round of amoxycillin, then a round of Clavamox and now they just got their second injection of gentamicin, with one more injection to go. Thursday night I had the first evening in quite awhile without the retching/gagging sounds of cats in distress--thank God. This antibiotic appears to be working. I also just had my male neutered so we can take a no kitten break for 6-7 months--this way everyone can get healthy again and I will also have a chance to take everyone at once for their HCM scans. Boo and Lulu need to be about a year old (according to the clinic at Michigan State University) before getting them scanned. I am going to decide then which of my females to retire/spay. I can't bear to lose anybody else...I just can't. Lulu's breeder, a "CFA cattery of Excellence", had to have known she was sick. Told me to "watch out for the sniffles" since the day she shipped her it was cold out. I had quarantined Lulu for 7 days before I let her be with my other cats but it obviously wasn't enough. I pray that the gentamicin will do the trick. Am just about at the end of my rope. Othie Marie was coughing so loud and hyperextending her neck with her tongue hanging out, that it broke my heart to watch, then when she wouldn't eat, I was afraid I was going to lose her. I am keeping my fingers crossed that she continues to improve.
Moody is doing well after the neuter--but still trying to mate all the girls--hope he will give that up soon. Anybody know how long it will take for him to lose the urge?
This has been really disheartening--practically everyone was pregnant during this whole thing and the only babies that survived were Bertha Rose and Mabel's three babies- Noel, Eggnog and Coal. Thank God they are still chubby and healthy. Mabel is ok too, but we are treating her so that she won't carry the bacteria in some kind of dormant state only to pass it along again later. I was worried about the babies nursing, but the vet said the kits should be fine.
Please remember us in your prayers.
With much love,
Susi, Moody, Habibi, Othie Marie, Dulcinea, Mabel, Pruney, Boo, Lulu, Bertha Rose, Noel, Eggnog, and Coal

Susi, I am so sorry to hear this. What a nightmare! If I were you I would definitely be emailing/calling Lulu's breeder. It sounds like she/he is/was hiding something from you about Lulu's health.(It might be why she was selling Lulu)

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh Susi! I knew something was wrong since you had been MIA. What a ordeal this has all been on you and I cannot imagine what a financial nightmare. I am so sorry to hear about this difficult time. What a heartache for you! Please know you have been in my thoughts and prayers. I know we haer this often, but truly, if there is even one small thing I can do for you, name it! I hope it only gets better now.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Susi, I am so sorry to hear this. What a nightmare! If I were you I would definitely be emailing/calling Lulu's breeder. It sounds like she/he is/was hiding something from you about Lulu's health.(It might be why she was selling Lulu)

I don't think the breeder was that good at replying to email when Susan was buying Lulu and she was getting Susan's money, so I doubt she'll be very forthcoming/ quick to answer about this either.:ThumbsDown:

You and your babies are in my thought Susan. Hugs to you. I'm really sorry that you've been having these health problems since you brought Lulu home.

susi794

Staff member
I don't think the breeder was that good at replying to email when Susan was buying Lulu and she was getting Susan's money, so I doubt she'll be very forthcoming/ quick to answer about this either.:ThumbsDown:

You and your babies are in my thought Susan. Hugs to you. I'm really sorry that you've been having these health problems since you brought Lulu home.

You're right, havingalook--she was lousy at communicating with me, it was like pulling teeth. She set up the shipping without even asking me if I could make it to the airport that day. I had to email her back to find out if she'd received the money when I sent it, she didn't even have the decency to let me know it had arrived. I had to beg for answers to everything. This was supposed to be a "Cattery of Excellence". She won't be willing to admit that she was sick when she shipped her. My vet said she had to have been.:Angry:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She's in the best hands possible now, and I know you'll do everything in your power to get her healthy.. :ThumbsUp:

As for the breeder, well you know my opinion:Angry: It's so frustrating though as there were no complaints on her etc and so you trusted that she was a good guy.:ThumbsDown:

susi794

Staff member
Oh Susi! I knew something was wrong since you had been MIA. What a ordeal this has all been on you and I cannot imagine what a financial nightmare. I am so sorry to hear about this difficult time. What a heartache for you! Please know you have been in my thoughts and prayers. I know we haer this often, but truly, if there is even one small thing I can do for you, name it! I hope it only gets better now.

Oh, thanks so much! I know you mean it. And thanks for the PM earlier tonight--I wish we lived close enough to hang out together...I know we'd be great friends!
Wish we could get that convention thing going....

susi794

Staff member
She's in the best hands possible now, and I know you'll do everything in your power to get her healthy.. :ThumbsUp:/QUOTE]
Thanks for the vote of confidence, you always make me feel better. I am trying so hard to do the right thing by my cats...I love them so much. I am trying to be a good mom....I just hope it's enough.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cattery of Excellence means nothing.
A vet comes and checks the cattery.
It can even be your own vt so if you are friends with them you pass.
I know all this because a breeder screwed my sister last year and we talked to CFA about it and other breeders.
CFA says to sue her but my sister does not know about doing that because the breeder is in another state.
This was a Devon Rex which has fur longer then a Persian.
Everyone said it is not a Rex for sure and the sire and dam are not the ones my sister was told they were.
Lets just

susi794

Staff member
About the Devon Rex cat that isn't--a friend of mine and I have often talked about the probability of breeders doing that--writing that a cat comes from a pedigree that isn't it's own...we think maybe it happens more than people realize. :ThumbsDown: And if it does indeed happen, how can you protect yourself from stuff like that? If people want to screw you, they can and will figure out how to do so. And they bargain on the fact that you will be so in love with the cat that you won't do anything about it...or won't afford to do something about it, or will just never find out. So much of this really relies on people's integrity. And like everything else in life, some people have it and some people don't. :Cry:

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh Susi by heart just breaks for you!:Cry::Cry:

I am so so sorry you are having to go through all of this! You are a wonderful mommy and we know that you are doing the best you can in this situation! I hope everything gets better real soon as enough is enough for you for sure!!:Cry::Cry:

You and the Fam are def. in my thoughts and prayers!! Get well soon!!! We miss you on here:Cool:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So much of this really relies on people's integrity. And like everything else in life, some people have it and some people don't. :Cry:

You just have to find people you trust and can work with/ build a relationship with. It didn't really cross my mind that people can do that.:Dizzy: I've been scammed and not sent paperwork at all, but I usually know them enough to trust they are being honest and not just breeding randomly and not knowing the parentage.

It's scary, the possibilities on how many ways you could be screwed over. I know I have with sick cats/ papers not sent.:Angry:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
So so sorry Susi:Cry: I hope the meds continue to improve your babies. I can not imagine what you are going thru now, my heart breaks for you. Anything we can do please let us know.

I hate the fact that some beeders are like this and another reason why the shipping thing freeks me out. I would contact the breeder who should offer you something, but at least to give her A peice of my mind.

Hope there are better times soon.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's awful and it makes me mad to hear about that breeder! I am so sorry to hear about your precious babies. I pray that they will feel better soon and stay that way. You are an excellent mom. Everyone knows you care so much for these babies and we all witness the compassion you have. We'll be sending you positive vibes. Be sure to keep us updated.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh, Susi you are having such a tough time I am so sorry, what a lot to deal with. I hope the meds do the trick and everyone is ok. I also hope you are ok and not getting too upset and down. It must be really difficult. Keep us posted. Take care of yourself. X

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Susi, it saddens me to hear of all the loss you've been dealing with lately and about your kitties' poor health (which was not your fault). The more I hear about a lot of these unscrupulous sphynx breeders out there, the more I'm glad I got my sphynx as a rescue. I purchased my Siamese cats from a reputable Siamese/Oriental breeder many years ago and I never had any problems with them....it makes me wonder if a lot of these so called sphynx breeders are just in it "for the money". :Angry:

Anyway, it sounds like you're taking the right steps to get all the kitties healthy and to keep the healthy surviving kittens from becoming sick. Best of luck to you and your babies in the coming weeks....and do take some time out to take care of yourself, too....you deserve it! :ThumbsUp:

Brooke

Banned
:Cry: Oh, Susi, how awful. You're doing such a great job for your animals, it's very clear how much care and love you give them and yet so much hardship has come your way these past few months. Sometimes it just doesn't seem fair. We see/hear awful stories about breeders that don't do right for their cats, and yet none of these things seem to happen to them. I just don't get it! :Angry:

Please let me know if there's anything you need - even just a shoulder to cry on. We are all here for you.

Has your vet done a PCR or other test to find out what Lulu may be carrying? Or, does she seem to be all better now? I truly hope all of this will be behind you soon. ((hugs))

Back