Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

It has been three weeks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

AthenaSphynx

Lairian
I lost my sphynx named Matchie three weeks ago to liver failure. I never knew I would miss her so much. I still have to remind myslef that she is not here. Her sister is still looking through the house for her. I think Athena thinks that Matchie is locked in a closet somewhere.
My heart feels so empty. I know putting her down was the kindest thing to do, but I feel such guilt and wish that I could have done something else for her. She was only 4 years old!
When my first Sphynx Zoe died , I could not bear to get another sphynx for five years. I went through a long period of mourning for her. I hope that I can open my heart to a new cat for Athena's sake, and maybe it will help ease the pain.
Sorry, I am mumbling, but I thought some of you would understand. My extended family thinks I am overreacting, they say ït is just a cat"

It's never "just a cat" and you should take as long to mourn as you need. I can't even begin to imagine your pain. I know I'd be the same way if Alice or Dita died. They are by world and my babies, I'm so sorry for your loss, I know it's hard, but you did the right thing.

TotenEngel

Banned
I feel your pain... time eases it but it truly never goes away
I lost my 21 year old black DSH in August and I still see him out of the corner of my eye and have to take a second.
At least people here understand 'Its NOT just a cat'

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing to ease Matchie's pain. Please don't listen to anyone that says it's just a cat- it's your baby. I hope that you & Athena will comfort each other during this time.

Gizzymom

Banned
I am SO sorry for your loss... I just HATE that phrase... it's just a cat! Matchie (I'm sure) was your baby, your family member, your sanity, your happiness, etc... You and Athena need time to grieve, but I'm sure both of you will know when the time is right to open your hearts again. Until then, you have us... because we all understand that it is NOT just a cat.:Cry:

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am very sorry for your loss.
When my Roland died a piece of my heart was crushed. Loki was his buddy and he walked around the house crying for him for three weeks. It took a year until I could even start looking at getting another baby.
I know you will do the right thing for your Athena and find her a friend.
I always look at is as I am honoring Roland's memory by loving Merlin as much as I can.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry about Matchie. Even though helping her to the Rainbow Bridge was the kindest gift you could give her at that time... yes, many of us here know the guilt you're experiencing. Please take comfort in knowing that you gave her the gift of love while she was alive and the biggest gift of love when you wouldn't let her suffer anymore.

We understand. I found the Lair the day after I helped my Little Ren to the Bridge and ended his suffering with abdominal cancer. Most people would say this is "only an online forum" - but it really did help.

I hope your pain eases and that you and Athena comfort each other. Bless you for being strong and giving Matchie the best life possible.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You have had a great loss and it is appropriate to mourn your beloved. I got a Sphynx several months after my sweet Kika died. It really helped me to have a new love in my life.

misobaby

Lairian
Not "just a cat" -- pets are family. I've had to put two cats that I loved very much to sleep. It's a tough decision, but you did what was right and humane. Do what you have to do to mourn.

Sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Matchie was NOT just a cat. Don't listen to people. They just don't understand. I know people like that and I want to punch them. A lady at work was losing her dog to cancer and someone else at work told her he would just take it out and shoot it. This dog is her baby. How heartless to say.

I was almost in hysterics last night when I thought we were going to lose Butter Jones. I could barely even think straight. I didn't even blink at the cost of the tests and everything at the emerg. vet, which I knew was going to wipe out my Christmas bonus. I already started thinking about what I could take back from the Boxing Day sale shopping if I had to.

These are our babies and as far as I am concerned, if people can't understand that about me, then they can buggar off.

Mourn your loss along with Athena. Hold her and talk to her. Cry with her. Sphynx are intuitive and she will understand and together you can heal. Maybe at some point a naked or furred friend will find it's way into your lives.

Hugs,
Kris

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
People who say 'it's just a cat' are the same type of people who say things like "it's not like he/she was immediate family' when someone dies.

I think these people don't have good coping mechanisms for grief, and your grieving disturbs them, so they are attempting (in an inept way) to mitigate your grief to lessen their own discomfort.

your spent 5 years of your life with your companion -- if it had been a house plant, or a favorite piece of furniture, that you expected to last another ten years, one would be upset for quite a while -- I've seen people upset for a year over a broken flat screen that they had for a couple of weeks... A cat that you had for 5 years that cost as much as a big screen TV?!?

Of course you'll be upset for a good while.

My sympathies for your loss.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Defintley not "just a cat". I hate when people say that. We certainly understand and take as much time as you need to mourn. Matchie will always hold a special place in your heart, regardless of when you finally decide to get another kitty. I'm sorry for your loss.

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am so sorry for your loss. I have found people who say "its just a cat/dog" have never had a special pet. They just don't understand the comfort/love these little beings give us.

Shell_Baby

Lairian
I am SO sorry for your loss... I just HATE that phrase... it's just a cat! Matchie (I'm sure) was your baby, your family member, your sanity, your happiness, etc... You and Athena need time to grieve, but I'm sure both of you will know when the time is right to open your hearts again. Until then, you have us... because we all understand that it is NOT just a cat.:Cry:
:Cry::Cry::Cry: I couldn't have said it better! We understand completely that it's not JUST A CAT! Take all the time you need to grieve and ignore silly people who tell you that.

AthenaSphynx

Lairian
Thank you all so much again for your support. It is good to know that I am not alone and that someone cares. I hope to add to our family eventually, either from the breeder I got Matchie from, or if I am unable to do that, rescue a sphynx. Thanks again.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i'm so sorry to hear of your loss. you have EVERY RIGHT to be completely devasted! your BABY passed away. Hoping your heart becomes less heavy sooner rather then later. Athena is there for comfort. I know how hard it must be on her as well. Lots of Hugs and Purrs coming your way. My heart is heavy for you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.