Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Itchy sphynx

Rizzlekit

Lairian
Hi all! New here. My sphynx is super itchy and I’m at a bit of a loss.

We’ve been in and out of the vets for 6 months now without any answers. She’s been really itchy and we can’t find the answer. Currently waiting for an allergy test to come back.

We’ve not changed anything environmental. Food hasn’t changed, I tried taking her off chicken but no change. The only thing that helps is a steroid injection, that seems to give two weeks respite and then back to itchy. (I have concerns about her living on steroids too!)

She’s currently undergoing meds for ring worm but they don’t seem to be helping. The other two cats are fine. No sign of any problems at all.

Has anyone ever experienced similar? Any suggestions?

Our vet doesn’t see sphynx cats much and we’re out in the sticks so can’t just move vet.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Does she also have a rash or red spots? Or only itchy? And itchy over all of her body or in certain spots? Could be an allergy for her food

Rizzlekit

Lairian
Does she also have a rash or red spots? Or only itchy? And itchy over all of her body or in certain spots? Could be an allergy for her food
This is what I’m wondering, I’m hoping the allergy test comes back soon because I hate seeing her like this.

She’s itchy on her face, neck, arm pits and back legs. She has two rashy type patches on her stomach but that might be from licking.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Rizzlekit , welcome to the lair family. members will certainly chime in.
you said being treated for Ring worm.. did they test her for it?

sharing we had a member whose kitty was allergic to fabric softener , gain fabric softner brand.
some are sensitive to laundry detergents, dryer sheets, fabric softeners.

what shampoo do you use? some can be sensitive to that as well

when you get a chance, can you share a pic of her rash?
we are here for you. hugs n head smooches to all paws.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I meant to ask well…. In your experience are there any foods that sphynx are likely to be allergic to?

Most common allergies are chicken and pork, but it’s not always those! Best to start with an elimination diet if you think allergies are a potential cause. Start with a novel protein (like duck or rabbit, something you know kitty has not had before) and feed only that for 6 weeks. Then you can add in a new protein every 6 weeks until you catch the culprit protein!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rizzlekit

Lairian
Most common allergies are chicken and pork, but it’s not always those! Best to start with an elimination diet if you think allergies are a potential cause. Start with a novel protein (like duck or rabbit, something you know kitty has not had before) and feed only that for 6 weeks. Then you can add in a new protein every 6 weeks until you catch the culprit protein!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I’ve put her on hypo allergenic biscuits which have made a marginal difference. I’ll try this approach and see how we go! Thank you

Rizzlekit

Lairian
@Rizzlekit , welcome to the lair family. members will certainly chime in.
you said being treated for Ring worm.. did they test her for it?

sharing we had a member whose kitty was allergic to fabric softener , gain fabric softner brand.
some are sensitive to laundry detergents, dryer sheets, fabric softeners.

what shampoo do you use? some can be sensitive to that as well

when you get a chance, can you share a pic of her rash?
we are here for you. hugs n head smooches to all paws.

This is the weird thing, nothing has changed. We use the same shampoos, washing powders etc so I am at a bit of a loss of what’s causing it.

She went under the light for ring worm and the vet said she showed up for a fungal infection but wasn’t convinced the cause was ring worm - she’s itched herself so much her scabs are infected. So she’s having ring worm treatment anyway.
She’s half way through treatment and nothing seems to have changed.

I’ve added some pictures. Hopefully I can get something to suggest to the vet or try!

Attachments

• 3A2D0F73-785A-4924-BB79-941AF5CECB8D.jpeg
    3A2D0F73-785A-4924-BB79-941AF5CECB8D.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 21
  • B8B53369-0199-42E9-BC7F-16057A3D34B9.jpeg
    B8B53369-0199-42E9-BC7F-16057A3D34B9.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 20
  • D1F65DFF-3813-4CD7-8EF4-86D1D8A85F83.jpeg
    D1F65DFF-3813-4CD7-8EF4-86D1D8A85F83.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 19

Rizzlekit

Lairian
@Rizzlekit , awh.. poor baby girl. what meds? did vet suggest an antifungal shampoo/ wipes? did they do a skin scraping test or just the light? hugs n healing vibes

tagging @Catzzzmeow , @Sheldon13
She’s got intrafungol. They just did the lights no scraping. The vet didn’t suggest a shampoo or wipes but someone else suggested an anti fungal shampoo which I used on her yesterday and she feels a lot softer and less crusty so I’ll keep going with it. I’m hesitant to say she’s less itchy incase it’s wishful thinking!!!!

Back