Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

MissLadyK

Lairian
Hi hello,

I am still new here, but have been so warmly welcomed to this community. In my introduction I mentioned I do not have a sphynx, however, after a bad evening and coming home to drink tea on the couch alone and watch netflix I was browsing craigslist and holy cow there he was, Sphynx, male kitten rehoming, and right in my area. It was like fate.

My heart is beating so fast I get to pick up the baby boy tomorrow morning, but I never thought it was all going to happen so fast. I feel so unprepared!

Tell me, how where all of you when you first found your baby? or got the call that your baby was ready to be picked up?

It can't be contained!
The feelings.

Much love,
xoxo
K

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congratulations and happy gotcha day! Enjoy this day.
When I picked up my boys a little more then a year ago I was so excited. I was like a four year old girl, wanting to dance and bounce all day. But I just sat still on the ground watching my boys discover their new home. My heart almost bursted out of joy.
When I got my girl Jade 3 weeks ago I was so nervous, cause I didn't know how my boys and the new girl would react on eachother. But soon I saw all was okay and I could relax and enjoy.

Wish you a wonderful gotcha day

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You can't contain the excitement, just be happy and enjoy it.
Time does go at a snail pace when we are waiting for our baby.
The last day is the worst. Sorry, but, it really goes slow. Just stay
busy and cat proff your home.
Get the items needed for him. Looking forward to seeing pics
and hearing about your gotcha day.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MissLadyK , excited for you! All paws crossed all is legitimate amd a healthy kitten-
With that said ,

I did find my Toby on a hoobly ad ( was so missing my ^Yoda cat ^ that passed away)
From my own "ad" kitty Experience ( I always recommend a referral from here for adoption or breeder )

**Please be careful with craigslist ads - is this a breeder you have checked out ? How many kitties do they sell on Craigslist a year? Ask them to take a picture with today's date with a odd object like a soda can -
Some, folks boost , copy paste other sphynx pics off the internet amd place ads to get our cash -
I did trust my gut and walked away from other kitties I inquired about on ads -

I would ask lots of questions , why rehoming a kitten? where from HCM screened , vet checked , shots ,
Any known health issues with kitty or any in cattery or litter- neutered , microchipped? Registration?
Is the price in line or outrageous? **Look for red flags in responses - go with your gut
Ask specifically and look for watery eyes , sneezing - ask if kitty uses litter box and normal poo or diarrhea-

** I would ask to meet in the police lobby / parking lot -err on the side of caution and never go alone!

Always best to be careful- there are a lot of scams and thieves out there - they know you have cash and some prey on our emotions- not saying that this is the case but we do see a lot of fraud , even robberies off Craigslist-

I wrote down lots of questions amd called back the person before I picked up my Toby -
I also aske for them to vet check him - she did using a free vet visit exam with a Banfield online coupon -
I asked for her to take a pic of it amd txt it or email it so I could confirm -

Looking forward to positive updates - all paws crossed
I know the" pitter patter heart "feeling of gotcha day :)

Jaden

Lairian
Yes do homework on the breeder! I almost got scammed plenty of times trying to find a perfect healthy kitten find a breeder that is about the kitten ask if they have a contract! most important always be okay with waiting, its now a waiting game for me but I trust my breeder and I am now hopefully soon to being a new mommy of a sphynx boy

MissLadyK

Lairian
Hey Hello,

Well, I guess it was a scam. The guy never showed up at the place. Or he did and saw that I was with someone and ran. Thank goodness I still have my money. I was very heart broken, I felt really bad for my boyfriend too who was the one who accompanied me. But, it is what is, and I guess it happens to some of us if not all.

I may take a break from the hunting game for a while and focus on breeders in my area that I can trust and have contact with.

its a sad day but you all once again have been very helpful. I know we can't discuss breeders openly in a forum, but if anyone knows any in the Northern California area, please ,message me. I am willing to go as far down south as Los Angeles, and up north past San Fransisco. I live in the central valley so kind of in the middle of it all.

Thank you all,
Much love
xoxo
K

Mick

Lairian
Well what can I say apart from sorry? To be scammed it just so wrong, across life there is always some wanker looking for a quick buck.
I was very lucky, if I hadn't got Lucifer at the weekend we opulent have a cat or kitten because we just can't afford one.
Look up breeders in your area and buy one from one of them and wait for it to be born. I know it's a pain, but really is the only answer.
Sorry for you.

Mick

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I sorry to hear it was a scam. You were smart to not go alone and you have the right attitude in knowing you didn't lose your money. Taking time to find a great breeder and feeling confident about a kitten is well worth the research and wait.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MissLadyK , Glad you are safe-
The right kitty will be sent to you -
You can post in the adoption rescue link " looking for" with details .
I have no doubt you will get reputable referrals here in a private message .
(( hugs))) the sphynx stars will align

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sadly, Sphynx scams are all to prevalent... as are backyard breeders. Glad you weren't hurt or anything.

Sphynx are worth taking the time to explore, research, find the right breeder for you, and then wait for the right kitten for you from that breeder.

Chin up... the purfect kitten is waiting for you somewhere!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hey Hello,

Well, I guess it was a scam. The guy never showed up at the place. Or he did and saw that I was with someone and ran. Thank goodness I still have my money. I was very heart broken, I felt really bad for my boyfriend too who was the one who accompanied me. But, it is what is, and I guess it happens to some of us if not all.

I may take a break from the hunting game for a while and focus on breeders in my area that I can trust and have contact with.

its a sad day but you all once again have been very helpful. I know we can't discuss breeders openly in a forum, but if anyone knows any in the Northern California area, please ,message me. I am willing to go as far down south as Los Angeles, and up north past San Fransisco. I live in the central valley so kind of in the middle of it all.

Thank you all,
Much love
xoxo
K

So sorry to hear this! I'm glad your boyfriend was with you and nothing happened to you. Fingers and paws crossed you will find a sphynx soon!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have two of them, and it was love at first sight both times! I was mostly scared of not being a good enough pet owner, since I've never had pets. My hubby grew up on a farm and was used to it thank god... It's taken me two years and I still don't speak "cat" but I'm learning, every day.... Since your heart is in the right place, all I can say is congratz and good luck! Enjoy the feeling and let us know all about it.(y)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
How sad. You would be better off, finding a reputable breeder
and getting a baby. Go by recommendations, do your research.
Maybe someone here can recommend a breeder close to you.

Back