Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

It's official - I am Dr Dolittle! Lol

Yoda mom

Staff member
an hour ago my neigh in a wheel chair called me to help a baby hawk out of the nest that is in the roadway !
I look and see two baby Hawks Needing to get to safety -

If you recall last years saga I had a pair of Hawks on my pool lanai on my patio furniture .
She is actually now the resident hawk that builds a nest in the oak tree by the roadway every year .

Well, yup two baby Hawks needing to get out of harms way- her husband is not home to help so she called me .
Sure enough baby is in the road nearly getting hit by passing cars.
I grab a box to put on the road so I can go get gloves etc

Mom,a hawk sees me and dive bombs at my head - close call-
I tell her I am helping her bs ones off the road amd will be back

I get my hoodie on ( it's 90s in Florida ) amd put on my motorcycle helmet
Amd get gloves and the golf umbrella .

My neigh is in her chair watching from a safe distance -
I hold the umbrella close to my head above my helmet .
Momma is pissed but baby needs off the middle of the roadway!
I tell her I am bringing the babies to her .
She is sqwauking and dive bombing at me

As per wildlife officials they may be fledglings momma pushed out of the nest to teach them to fly .
Told us to put them bsck in the nest if possible - what? 49 feet up with dive bombing momma hawk,!?
Officials said if thst is not an option to place them on the ground below the nest and momma will take care of them.

Well, they bs ones are still on the ground grass shaded area I carefully placed them.
But I domt think they are doing well.
Momma hawk still has ome baby in the nest she is feeding . She is flying all over obviously upset .

We called the womderful folks at the marine science center -
They will be in the area soon on a Release of a recovered bird .
As soon as they complete the release of the rehabbed bird , they will be here to check on the baby Hawks

Please keep all paws crossed these sweet baby Hawks will be okay

Yes , I feel like Dr Dolittle

A few weeks ago I had a feral cat from the TNR program in my attic - came in thru the roof vent
Went out and got a $60 trap and took him to the no kill shelter
The week before , neighs came to me about a sick raccoon by their car tire

my same neighbor thst called for the hawk just brought home a pregnant Pitbull two days ago to foster while she has her pups!
She is ready to have pups anyday (Someome dumped this pregnant sweet pittie at the shelter :( amd there resources were tapped for space )

Oh , wonder when momma otter will be back with her pups

Yes , definitely feel like Dr Dolittle! I have adopted kitties , an orphaned Aussie from my ex fiance and now Momma hawk and babies to help

update: An hour ago the employee from the marine science center came and picked up the two baby Hawks. They will check them , get them strong and bring them back .
They plan on bringing the baby Hawks bsck in a few days along with a bucket truck to release them back to momma hawk's care :)

Please continue Positve vibes for these baby Hawks

Will update soon :)

Here are some pics of the rehab center picking up the baby Hawks
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
These animals are lucky they have a do little in the area to come to their rescue! They sure sound to be keeping you busy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@JSal , @Bailey21 , @Catzzzmeow
it was the most amazing feeling , experience to coddle the fragile babies to safety.
I will always remember our eyes meeting as I held them in my hands . It's like they knew and understood.

One day I hope to watch them soar in all their majesty .
Over the pond behind my house where the momma hawk fishes for her babies .

Just stay out of the inside of my pool Lania!
I am literally today repainting the lanai patio furniture I found them hanging out on last summer! Lol

Let's not forget the humming bird I had to save a few weeks ago lane was literally full beak stuck thru my neighbors pool Lania screen. Gunnar and I heard her flapping her wings frantically when we walked by.
They were going to leave her there to die stuck!
I took Gunnar home and got my gloves and gently removed her from the screen and set her free

Definitely missed my calling @Catzzzmeow lol
Perhaps natures way of helping me heal in a sense from all the loss this past year

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
Update - marine science center returned Hawks to the nest with s bucket truck.

Well next morning momma hawk was kickimg them all out aggressively -
One baby hawk I watched try to fly and smacked right into neighs front door :(
second baby stuck in a palm tree below nest
Third baby on the ground
:(

Gathered them up, put them in crates with a beach umbrella propped to keep in shade
Marine science center bird rehab picked them up again

This time they are being rehabbed and sent to the barn rehab till they can fly and eat on their own

Then they will be returned set free at our oak trees on the pond

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Condo commando , ha my neigh thought I lost it when he saw me eith an umbrella wearing my motorcycle helmet walking down the street
Then he came outside and saw momma hawk diving bombing our heads! He went back and got his garbage pail over his head !

He got his garbage pail over his head two days in a row to help! Lol

So looking forward to the return of our little rescues! Wamt to see them grow up here and nest themselves!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sphynxmoms , Awh bless your heart for taking care of this baby squirrel!
Welcome, to the Dr Dolittle club..
It's so rewarding to help these sweeties

Ps - quite the nice rehab set up! He may invite his buddies with all that love !

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Aww we did some Dr. Dolittling ourselves today. We found a Fawn abandoned in the street by our house. Waited a few hours and no sign of mama. We were scared it would get hit by a car so we took it in to the Wildlife Center. Poor thing was less than a week old...

I feel bad if the mom comes back looking for her baby, but it seems unlikely the mother would have let her baby in the street like that.
7789AF60-9C5B-4A4B-85BE-6F1A96F6459F.jpeg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica , bless your heart for saving this baby ((((hugs)))

Will they let you know details of rehab - release ?

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
update - the red shoulder hawk babies were transferred to Apopka rehab center .
They will be taken care rehabbed in high barn . Omce they live feed om there own they will be returned to the are by our pond and released :)

I found this useful chart on the rehab site detsilijg what to do if you find an injured bird
image.jpeg

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Monica , bless your heart for saving this baby ((((hugs)))

Will they let you know details of rehab - release ?
Well, about 12 hours later, we saw a very small, very young whitetail doe sniffing around the area. They sent someone out to sit with the fawn to try to reunit the baby and possible mother, but no luck. Baby will be kept at the rehab center until old enough to be released back to the wild.

We think the mother was a new mom. Inexperienced, and undersized. Although sad, rehab/release is probably the best chance the baby has for survival. Baby was healthy and eating well last I heard!

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aww yoda mum and your adventures of saving and looking after all the little animals in your community! You truly have a beautiful soul! :) You in the middle of the road with your helmet and umbrella getting dived bombed cracked me up :ROFLMAO:

Back