Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

I've given up!

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So, after weeks and weeks of stress of Jack not properly eating his raw diet ... I have given up and switched him back to kibble and canned cat food. Yesterday was day 1 and he was SO happy to have kibble to crunch on.
I'm sad because I also had to change Rosie's diet as well (even though she was doing awesome on raw). I can't have them eating different diets.

I'm so disappointed, because both were doing so well on the raw :(

I've switched to Nature Variety's kibble and Hound & Gatos canned. I will see in the next few days how disastrous things get in the litter box. Keeping everything I have crossed that they don't slip back to having mushy, stinky poo and poo foot :(

Do you think I should try the kibble for a few weeks, and then try to change them back to raw? Is there any health problems switching them back and forth between a raw and commercial diet every so often?

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was having this problem!

When we brought Toothless home we started the switch over to raw because that's what Elfie was on. It was a very very slow process.
Then Elfie got sick and we had to use the canned to get her through it, so Toothless got use to having the canned again.

Trying to switch her back for the past 2 weeks has been a nightmare, there have been meals where she flat out refuses to eat. I've been mixing the canned with the raw and still she turns her little nose up at it!

This morning I had a light bulb moment!

When I did the first transition and even while they were back on canned I had been adding bone broth to the food, but I ran out about 2 weeks ago and have had the chance to pick up some more.

I added a teaspoon of water to the food this morning and she devoured the whole bowl and then tried to go and steal Elfie's :LOL:

I couldn't believe it! I was standing there in shock just watching them both munch away like I haven't seen them do in weeks :ROFLMAO:

Crazy sphynxies :rolleyes:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Switching food a lot and often can cause stomach issues with sphynx.
If they do good on the canned and kibble, and are good quality food.
Then, I wouldn't mess with it. I would keep them on it.
You can add a tablespoon of pure pumpkin to the wet food daily.
That will help with runny, mushy poo.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So, after weeks and weeks of stress of Jack not properly eating his raw diet ... I have given up and switched him back to kibble and canned cat food. Yesterday was day 1 and he was SO happy to have kibble to crunch on.
I'm sad because I also had to change Rosie's diet as well (even though she was doing awesome on raw). I can't have them eating different diets.

I'm so disappointed, because both were doing so well on the raw :(

I've switched to Nature Variety's kibble and Hound & Gatos canned. I will see in the next few days how disastrous things get in the litter box. Keeping everything I have crossed that they don't slip back to having mushy, stinky poo and poo foot :(

Do you think I should try the kibble for a few weeks, and then try to change them back to raw? Is there any health problems switching them back and forth between a raw and commercial diet every so often?
I would say stick with what ever works for you and is easiest for all. :)

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Was he not eating at all or just not eating very much? Remember that they do tend to eat quite a bit less on raw. Kibble can be a very hard addiction to break. You could also try adding forta flora to their raw food. This is a healthy supplement that is good for digestion but also has the benefit of tasting great. I feel like the benefits of raw are so good that as long as he eats something every day you should keep at it. He will eat when hungry.

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Was he not eating at all or just not eating very much? Remember that they do tend to eat quite a bit less on raw. Kibble can be a very hard addiction to break. You could also try adding forta flora to their raw food. This is a healthy supplement that is good for digestion but also has the benefit of tasting great. I feel like the benefits of raw are so good that as long as he eats something every day you should keep at it. He will eat when hungry.
He really wasn't eating much at all, maybe a tablespoon or a bit more a day ... which isn't enough, I could already tell he was losing weight. I would love to get him back on raw, the benefits for him are almost instantaneous.
Already the litter box stinks, and I've had poopy bum and foot - now I realize it may take a week or two for them to adjust to new food, but Jack has never done well with kibble/canned food (high quality stuff) in the past.

I was wondering about trying the freeze dried raw pellets and leaving them in pellet form? Has anyone ever done that?

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
He really wasn't eating much at all, maybe a tablespoon or a bit more a day ... which isn't enough, I could already tell he was losing weight. I would love to get him back on raw, the benefits for him are almost instantaneous.
Already the litter box stinks, and I've had poopy bum and foot - now I realize it may take a week or two for them to adjust to new food, but Jack has never done well with kibble/canned food (high quality stuff) in the past.

I was wondering about trying the freeze dried raw pellets and leaving them in pellet form? Has anyone ever done that?
I have never tried the freeze dry, but you may find the same problem as regular raw as most likely he won't eat it because he would rather have kibble. Have you tried different brands of raw? Sometimes cats will be picky and all brands are different. My Frida won't eat Stella and chewy but likes the natures instinct. If you make your own you could try some different kinds of meat.
The Forta Flora is also a strong recommendation as this is what they put on the dry food that makes it so addictive and yummy, and it is good for digestion so often helps with "bad poopies".
Don't give up hope yet. I would just keep feeding his fav wet food for one meal at night so that you know he is eating something and try the raw in the morning when he will be super hungry. I know it can be a difficult switch but I don't think it is time to give up yet.

susi794

Staff member
Hound and Gatos food is excellent food! If you feel you have to quit raw, that is probably the best choice. I would keep kibble to a minimum and let them have the wet food most of the time. Maybe one small meal of kibble without free feeding. Changing food all the time isn't good. Find something hat works and stick with it.
Hugs,
Susi

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@susi794 Thank you for your advice! I am just wondering why you suggest to keep kibble to a minimum? Is the kibble where more of the digestive upset tends to come from? I am using a limited ingredient kibble, that contains only one meat protein source and no eggs, dairy or grain.

susi794

Staff member
Kibble is not as easily digested as the wet food and usually way more fattening. Hounds and Gatos wet food is 100% meat and nothing else if I remember correctly. If you switched to raw originally, I am assuming the kibble was problematic, so the Hounds and Gatos is as close to raw as canned can be. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you again for your information. After the explosive poops the kitties had yesterday, and the smell, and their gurgling bellies .... I am going to try taking away the kibble and just using the canned food for now and see if that helps to calm things down a bit. It's going to be costly ... but if it solves the problems ... worth it, at least in the short run :)

Calicocious

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Adding Fortiflora may help. The probiotics will help get things back in balance and ease digestion. Easy to sprinkle on wet food. Has a smell and taste similar to kibble so they love it. Good prices on Amazon. Once things have settled down for a good while you can always revisit the idea of trying raw again.

U

user123

@Kate I just realized that this post is from last year. I will chime in anyway justhave you tried crumbling something smelly on top, like freeze dried haddock (from The Honest Kitchen) or sardine or tuna juice? This is what has worked for us. Cats eat by smell, and raw food hardly has any scent, but by adding the smelly it can change lives! :LOL: A high quality Nutritional Yeast is also a good alternative (I use Braggs organic). It's a rich source of proteins and vitamins from the B complex, great for their skin, smells like cheese, and most cats cant resist it.

I adopted my girl from a family who was moving, and she had been on a kibble only diet her entire life (she just turned 3). I ditched the kibble immediately when she got here. She never ate it again. I started the transition with Organix brand wet food (gave her a rash, I don't recommend this food). She was on this for only a couple of days to get used to the texture change, as well as the feeding schedule of 3x a day. I then began offering 3 oz of "doctored up raw food", leaving it down for 30 mins at a time only. No feeding or treats until next scheduled feeding time. A hungry cat (but not TOO hungry as we all know) is what you want.

I wish you the best of luck on the frustrating journey to raw, and would like to encourage you to keep trying. I have seen dramatic differences in the health and vitality of my dogs who are on commercially prepared raw, as well as my Sphynx who's BM's are now non smelly pebbles every 48 hrs. I never see her drink water because she gets it from her food. Her skin, eyes, and ears are also improving drastically. :happy:

Last edited by a moderator: