Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

ive just bought a litter kwitter

rikkuyuna

Lairian
hi all.

I have just paid for a litter kwitter, and am praying my 3 month old sphynx boy will take to it. My biggest concern at the moment is the toilet is in the same room as the dreaded evil bath. hmmmmm will he not enter the bathroom at all?? I hope he will take to it, as i hate having the litter scattered all over my house, also Kimaree seems to manage to get poo all over his legs and feet when he goes in his box. so hopefully the litter kwitter will prevent that too!!! Optimistic thinking!!!

Any advice from any one experienced in the litter kwitter would be great!:BigSmile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Great best of luck to you! After we are kitten free I am going to try potty training:Woo: I have thought about the litter robot but think I like this idea better! I was looking at City Kitty.

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I thought about this too, but with 4 cats and only one toilet.....I dunno, I don't want to be vying for the toilet if I need to go really bad. Plus, I wonder what will happen as they get older or if they get injured how they will be able to jump up that high and use the toilet. I think if we had another bathroom I'd be more tempted to try it. Good luck and let us know how it goes! :BigSmile:

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If I had more than one bathroom I would have gone this route, but since I don't I have litter robots. Goodluck.

TotenEngel

Banned
agreed, with 1 toilet, 4 cats and 2 of us I could only ever see problems!
We did look at a house recently that had a second toilet and I said 'oooh, one for the cats!!!'
Good luck with it, I know there are a good few people on here who swear by it!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nofuratu learned the toilet thing fast but my 6 yr old indoor/outdoor cat didnt ever catch on and I had to quit. I think it is because you have to use just the litter quitter and my older cat was also going outside...
I wouldnt worry about it being in the same room as the bathtub. Nofuratu hates baths but plays in the bathroom all the time even when one of the kids is bathing. You should be fine.
Something I noticed with the litter quitter which they say in the videos a lot is that if your cat isnt catching on, just go back down to the previous step....its hard to be patient and you dont want to go backwards but they catch on with patience.

BlueGirl

Lairian
Loki used to be terrable for gettin himself dirty after he went to the toilet, he always tryed to curl his tail in but it got under him, and the results we're disgusting! :Hysterical: But i think that was just because he was young, so I think the standing in the poop will stop with a few more months. I tryed to get Loki using the litter quitter but he seems to have it in his head that he's a big lion and (despite being the smallest cat I've ever had) insists on having a massive litter tray. I'm hoping to try again soon tho, once my dissertation is handed in and I have more time.

Good Luck

tessblack

Banned
I have used it and now they are trained. You should make sure he is big enough so if he falls in he can get back out. Also move very slowly through the steps, the dvd will tell you to go quicker but I would just let them get comfortable with every step. I had to back track at times but was worth it. At the end I had a problem with Twitch, she would only pee in the toilet and poop on the floor but Tux was perfect. At that point I was too close to give up. I had our body work guy at work cover the toilet seat with carbon and make a mold Then we cut out a smaller hole and put it over the toilet and they were both fine.

Then this weekend I moved the seat into the master bath cause we were having company. Well they still used the same 2nd bath but both used the toilet perfectly. Only issue was Tux would play in the water before he pooped and make a big mess so put the carbon cover back on. They would not use the other bath so I guess they like to go to the same one all the time.

Good luck, be patient. It took us about 3 months.

Gizzymom

Banned
Loki used to be terrable for gettin himself dirty after he went to the toilet, he always tryed to curl his tail in but it got under him, and the results we're disgusting! :Hysterical: But i think that was just because he was young, so I think the standing in the poop will stop with a few more months. I tryed to get Loki using the litter quitter but he seems to have it in his head that he's a big lion and (despite being the smallest cat I've ever had) insists on having a massive litter tray. I'm hoping to try again soon tho, once my dissertation is handed in and I have more time.

Good Luck

Just like men with the big TVs!!!
:Hysterical:

Gizmo was the same though... He had troubles when he was young.. stepping in poop... getting it on his tail... running from the box to check something out while it was still hanging... :Badly:

Now he is like a prima donna... I have the Litter Maid.. and after I clean it... if I forget to turn it back on, he will hold it if there is ANYTHING in the box, as he does not want to get his precious feet soiled...

He grew out of it, so maybe yours will too!!! (Fingers crossed) :Laugh:

Morticia

Lairian
Morticia learned with litter kwitter as well. Follow the DVD instructions but I would reccomend much more time in each stadge than actually tells you to. Also give him treats and tell "good boy" to show that he's doing well.

You'll be litter free in no time!! :))) and it's the best thing ever!!!

Good luck!!!
xox

rikkuyuna

Lairian
Thankyou for everyones comments!

We are completely snowed in at the moment so I dont know when the litter kwitter will arrive. Hopefully soon as im very keen to get started! Kimaree is a dirty little kitten! lol

Even when it comes to bathing, ill bath him one day and hell be all nice and pink, then the next day, his inner thighs will be brown! anybody have any bathing tips? How on earth does this cat get so dirty so fast! :Hysterical:

I hope he does get out of the habit of standing in his own faeces, its really gross!!! and my poor partner is getting rather fed up with it :ThumbsDown:

Hopefully he will grow out of it, and the litter kwitter will stop him soiling himself!!!

TotenEngel

Banned
when I got Smeagol at 4 months he almost constantly had poo on his bum, back legs, tail, us etc! He's just over 6 months now and does seem a lot cleaner! *thank god*!!!

rikkuyuna

Lairian
I do hope that he starts to get cleaner, its such a dirty nightmare!!!! defo not my favourite part of owning a sphynx!!!! the things no one tells you about owning a sphynx!!! I may start a new topic warning wanna be "pets" on what to expect when they become owned by a sphynx!:LOL:

Back