Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Jezebel Gets Spayed on Monday

MyJezebel

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes, I'm a nervous wreck about it! I talked with the vet about not using Ketamine and she was aware that Sphynx kitties should not be anesthetized with it or its derivatives. Just as a precaution, I will be reminding her about that again when I drop Jezebel off and I will also have a note on her carrier as well (I know, I'm out of control). Besides that though, my vet keeps all animals that are spayed over night as a precaution and I'm FREAKING out over this. I guess you could say I'm having severe separation anxiety. From reading other posts here, it seems that a lot of the babies went home the same day that they had their procedure. Has anyone else had to leave their kitty over night for a spay or am I the only one? Just curious if this is out of the ordinary.

TotenEngel

Banned
Here in the UK all cat spays and castrates go home same day (obviously unless there are any complications)
Smeagol is due to go in to be castrated Tuesday and I know they are gonna want to get rid of him asap.. he is SOOOO noisy when he doesn't get his own way!
In a way, I guess it is nice to have a vet that is over cautious!

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know the feelings you are having because my Nudie just got spayed Wednesday. I was a totally overprotective sphynx mom when I went- I had a big red note attached to her carrier and I watched the nurse write a big note on the spay orders + I made an appt. the week before just to talk with the vet about what I did and didn't want used during the procedure. I don't think you can do too much for the safety of your sphynx- better safe than sorry. You might want to check to make sure they use Buprenex for pain meds and not Metacam. I got Nudie back the same day- I don't think I could be away from her that long. If my vet said they wanted to keep her overnight, I would of asked "Where's my cot cause i'm sleeping here"?:LOL::LOL::LOL: Good luck to you and Jezebel!!!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I was the same way when my cats were altere
Make sure they do not use Metacam.
Have them use Buprenex.
None of mine ever stayed over night at the vet when they were altered even the ones the breeder altered.

BlueGirl

Lairian
best advice i can offer is try not to worrie. I was really worried about it too, and spoke to them loads about how they do it, and what gas they use etc.. before hand, but i was still nervous.

Maybe if you talk to them they could make an exception and let you take him home? I droped Loki off at 9am so i could get him back at 4pm. I would have been heart broken if i wasnt there to nurse my boy when he was snipped. He was not happy with the nurse and was shouting at her, but he was so happy to be back with me, I think he relies as much on me as I do on him, so he didnt feel as scared when i came back to check on him, even if he was still groggy and confused. He was back to his normal self by about 8pm that night.

Try not to worrie too much it really is a very simple operation. Keep yourself busy and the time will pass and you'll get you kitty back, happy to be rescued from the 'evil' vet :LOL::LOL:

MyJezebel

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What if they don't use Buprenex for pain? Is there a danger to Sphynx cats with certain pain meds? I know about Ketamine but was not aware that there were specific pain meds I should be asking for too.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As for pain meds- Metacam has caused renal failure in some cats. I didn't want to take the chance and got alot of good advice on what to use from the members here on the lair.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Metacam does cause kidney problems in cats.
I know many cats that died from it and always warn people.
There cats had CRF from Metacam.
My Coco had CRF but i lost here to blood clots and strokes a few months ago.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If you are worried you can get pre anesthetic bloodwork done, costs about $40 and tests your cats kidney and liver function.
Or you can get I.V fluids, they keep your cat hydrated during surgery, so they wake up with less of a hangover and the staff will have venous access allready if anything goes wrong and they need fast access to a vein. That costs $40 or $50
If you cant decide between the two, I.V fluids are what I would spend the money on....if you think about it when humans have surgery, we dont go without IV access.
This is only if you are super worried and want to do something ....if you dont have the money, well we've all been doing spays for years without these extras and without problems most of the time.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
If you are worried you can get pre anesthetic bloodwork done, costs about $40 and tests your cats kidney and liver function.
Or you can get I.V fluids, they keep your cat hydrated during surgery, so they wake up with less of a hangover and the staff will have venous access allready if anything goes wrong and they need fast access to a vein. That costs $40 or $50
If you cant decide between the two, I.V fluids are what I would spend the money on....if you think about it when humans have surgery, we dont go without IV access.
This is only if you are super worried and want to do something ....if you dont have the money, well we've all been doing spays for years without these extras and without problems most of the time.

Yup - Nofuratu is right. I have a friend who lost her furry kitty because these bloodwork test were not ran prior to the surgery and he actually went into kidney failure after she brought him home. She had paid them to run these test prior to his surgery but for whatever reason they didn't. If they had then they would have known what precautions to take.
Yes she sued their pants off and got her money back.

Gizzymom

Banned
My vet always does blood work before any type of procedure - including teeth cleanings... and never used ketamine or metacam. Gizmo was released the same day as well, but I think males have an easier go of it anyways (don't they always? LOL)

Here is my advice as someone who works in the medical field... and as someone who once pissed of her vet's staff for knowing "too much" and being a "smart ass"...
You have the right as a pet owner to do what you want for your pet (within reason). The first time I got Gizzy's teeth cleaned, they told me that he had to stay until 4PM even though the cleaning was at 8am. I knew from Gizmo's neuter that he wakes up VERY fast from the gas and would be sitting there in a cage for HOURS when it was not necessary (when he was scared)... so I flexed my "muscles" and told them I have the right to take my cat as soon as it was safe to do so, that I would be picking Gizmo up at noon, and I would sign whatever they wanted me too... (equivalent of patient signing themselves AMA - against medical advice). They were annoyed with me, but let me pick him up at noon. I purchased all the girls in the office a treat as a "peace offering" and not have a problem since with going "against the rules".

I, of course, would not recommend ticking off your vet's staff, but let them know your wishes and you do have the right as a pet owner to take your pet as soon as it is safe to do so.:Wink:

MyJezebel

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you all so much for the very useful information you have given me. I will make sure that they give her the safest pain medication possible now.

Mew2much - I'm sorry that you lost yourCoCo. That must have been really hard to go through.

As for leaving her over night, I will talk to the vet again when I drop her off Monday morning, but my husband thinks I should let her stay since I'll be at work on Tuesday. This way she will have people around taking care of her the next day. Although, I would just call in sick on Tuesday to be with her if she came home Monday night, so we'll see:Wink:.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Coco was my fav cat.
I hope your cat did ok today.
Let us know how she is.