Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Job decisions, help!

Which would you choose?

• Support worker

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Call center advisor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

saffwolf

Lairian
Ok so I need an outside veiw of my situation.

Last Tuesday I was let go from my job in a debt collection call center after my probation because of sick days due to an injury.
I have the option to appeal but I didn't enjoy the job anyway so haven't.

Anyways now I have had afew interviews and I've been offered a very easy job in another call center it is basically taking bets over the phone for horse racing.
The other job I have been offered is something I have never done before! It's to be a support worker for disabled and challenging behaviours to help them live independently. I know it's a huge change but the whole idea of it seems to me much better than going back to a call center.

My boyfriend and friends are not supporting the support worker idea, maybe they think I won't like it and quit? I'm not 100% sure on their reason.

Do you think I should go for the new opportunity in care work or should I stick to what I know?
The wage is same for both and they are both easy to get to from my house.

Any advice is welcome :)

Attached is a photo of my babies Ducky, Molly and Petrie

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry you lost your previous job but congratulations on being offered two new ones! I think the question you need to ask yourself is 'what do I want out of my work?'. If you want something that's an easy ride and probably won't challenge you then the call centre is probably better for you but if you want something that's challenging and has potential career progression then the other job might suit you more. You will never know if you like something or not if you don't try it. And if you don't, you can always look for another job whilst you're still employed.

Whichever you choose I hope you're happy.

Your crew look lovely and chilled out {=

saffwolf

Lairian
Thank you! I've had another conversation with family about the support worker job and they've told me to go for it :) I'm really excited I think it will be hard but so rewarding! And like you said if for any reason I really don't like it I can always find something else.
I have that feeling where loosing my job may be a blessing in disguise and this may be it
Fingers crossed!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Go out of your comfort zone and step into a new world...go for the job as support worker. I can sense you want it! I have a similar job and it's very rewarding and indeed hard sometimes. But it brings you so much and will enrichen your life and who you are as a person. I'm glad you have the support of your family now!

Congratulations!!

oolahappi

Lairian
I had a job as a support worker for a non profit called Daily Endeavours back in the day. I took the job in my first year of university to get a foot in the door, as it was part of a larger group of integrated health care professionals, which employed healthcare professionals - which was in my area of 'career' interest. The great thing about it was that we would be out and about, just helping with day to day tasks. I could never sit behind a desk taking calls all day. Give it a try!

Yoda mom

Staff member
So happy for you on your new journey! It may lead to opening doors to a whole new lifelong satisfying profession of choice perhaps in the medical field

Keep us updated !
Head smooches sent to your adorable babies!

Ps - When I was 20 , I took a "answer phone job " turned out to be a betting booky joint in a bad area of town with quite the characters I didn't need to be spending my time with -
Walked out

saffwolf

Lairian
I really appreciate everyone's input

I've accepted the job as a support worker! I'm really excited to get started, I just need to wait for my references to come back and a criminal record check, both will be fine, even though my last job fired me I left on really good terms with my manager and he's said he will be happy to give me a good reference.

In the mean time I get to smooch the cats ALOT while I'm off work which is heaven!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congrats on the new job. Truly being of service to others can be very rewarding for the right people, and you definitely sound like that type of person.

I love what I do right now, which is improving the lives of people with technology. Long hours, lots of work, acceptable pay. I could get a 9-5 job with a bump in pay, but I wouldn't be helping as many people as I do now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that money is good, but when you're at a transitional moment, do what thrills you and fills you with joy... even if it is hard sometimes.

Good luck!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I sit behind a desk but I like what I do. I couldn't work in sales. However, other people are the opposite. Find what suits you.

No matter what you do, doing the same thing forever would be boring if you ask me. It doesn't have to be a night and day change, but taking forks in the road isn't a bad thing. It's a job, not a marriage :)

Back