Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Johnson's Baby Shampoo pH

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So I was bored, decided to read the comments on a suggested Facebook post for Johnson soap. In between the people getting irate over their patent company apparently animal testing and raging about how unsafe the stuff is, I found this:
IMG_3024.PNG

According to a quick google search " In Skin Diseases of Dogs and Cats, Dr. Steven Melman states that the pH of human skin is 5.2 to 6.2, while dog and cat skin ranges from 6.2 to 7.2 with an average of 6.6" BBird's GroomBlog: The pH of Pet & Human Shampoos

Most credible source, probably not but it looks like they are somewhat there.

But that would make the shampoo too acidic. (The little write up shows that pet shampoo flies all over the pH range though regardless, so unless there's an actual study, no one can say for sure)

Just thought I'd share :)

Attachments

• IMG_3024.PNG
    IMG_3024.PNG
    111.4 KB · Views: 117

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I wouldn't use baby Johnson shampoo in a human baby let alone an animal horrid stuff I won't mention what we learned to use it for in hairdressing college

Buterfly54

Lairian
I agree!!! The stuff is Horrible!! Do some research and you will be shocked!! DON'T wash your cuties with this toxic stuff!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Isn't the oil just an oil industry bi-product?

It isn't the nicest of ingredients in the soap

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Isn't the formaldehyde a small biproduct of a preservative they used to use? Plus it is a biproduct in fruit. Not all of it is scary

Last edited:

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Maddie Hard to find safe shampoo it would be great if we had a sticky on shampoos that are tolerable.

AVEENO baby shampoo/wash at the moment

.. always good to hear from others.

Thanks.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I never liked Johnson Baby Shampoo after my son's doctor told us when our son was a baby, that it essentially anesthetizes the eyes, and that is why the kids didn't cry when it got into their eyes.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Skin pH shouldn't be effected by having hair or not. The hair part shouldn't affect that @pussiette. Lots of people on here use Hylyt so that's definitely an option
A sensitive skin shampoo wouldn't be focused on hair either

Last edited:

Buterfly54

Lairian
I have done extensive research on what to wash my sphynx, what they eat, what they drink and EMF also really has a big impact on them. I'm the weirdest mother but when I got them they were so sick and they were eating fancy feast and tap water. Everyone that owns a cat should watch Pet Fooled. I have brought my lil guys back from the dead. They were in a horrible environment for a breeder that just wanted to make money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrCrepsley

Lairian
So I was bored, decided to read the comments on a suggested Facebook post for Johnson soap. In between the people getting irate over their patent company apparently animal testing and raging about how unsafe the stuff is, I found this:
View attachment 77042

According to a quick google search " In Skin Diseases of Dogs and Cats, Dr. Steven Melman states that the pH of human skin is 5.2 to 6.2, while dog and cat skin ranges from 6.2 to 7.2 with an average of 6.6" BBird's GroomBlog: The pH of Pet & Human Shampoos

But that would make the shampoo too acidic. (The little write up shows that pet shampoo flies all over the pH range though regardless, so unless there's an actual study, no one can say for sure)

Hello, another quick search will show that the pH of scalp is 4.5 - 5 and that hair shaft could be even lower sometimes (if hair is damaged and vulnerable). Low pH makes cuticles on hair shaft close (this is a good thing). Shampoos are designed to be lower pH as even 6.0 pH level is considered unsafe for shampoos (leave cuticles open, hair is rough, etc.) That's why the Devacurl (hair) company is getting so much controversy cause their haircare products when up from pH level of 5 to 6, damaging most people's hair around the world (causing allopecia etc )

MrCrepsley

Lairian
Hello
View attachment 77042

MrCrepsley

Lairian
Hello
View attachment 77042

Hello, another quick search will show that the human hair and scalp have pH of 4.5 - 5. In fact, if you hair is damaged or very dry it or rough, hair shaft pH level can be even lower. Shampoos with low pH actually help to CLOSE the cuticles on hair shafts (this is a very good thing, preventing damage). In fact pH of 6 is considered pretty high for a shampoo, the Devacurl(hair company) controversy which reformulated their products from lower to higher pH caused damage to all their consumers, suggest you check this out. I have very dry hair and is constantly on look out for low pH shampoo since it matches the pH of our hair.

MrCrepsley

Lairian
Hello
View attachment 77042

Hello, another quick search will show that the human hair and scalp have pH of 4.5 - 5. In fact, if you hair is damaged or very dry it or rough, hair shaft pH level can be even lower. Shampoos with low pH actually help to CLOSE the cuticles on hair shafts since it matches the pH level of our hair (this is a very good thing, preventing damage). In fact pH of 6 is considered pretty high for a shampoo, the Devacurl(hair company) controversy which reformulated their products from lower to higher pH caused damage to all their consumers, suggest you check this out. I have very dry hair and is constantly on look out for low pH shampoo.
Learnt all this by trying to tame my frizzy wavy hair :((

Back