Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Just adopted a sphynx today

Lulu Bird

Lairian
Hey everyone I am new to this site. I adopted a Sphynx today. Her name is "Peaches" from her previous owner but I might think of something more fitting. She is 6 years old and has orange and black spots. I will post some photos soon:BigSmile:. She is beautiful and I am very excited to have this new addition to the family. My 6 month old son giggles every time he looks at her :)

First question, should I put a sweater on her?

Brooke

Banned
Welcome, Lulu Bird! Congrats on the new addition to your family!! :ThumbsUp: Is she your first sphynx? What's her story?

General rule of thumb, if you're cold, Peaches is probably cold, too. (I'll call her Peaches until you tell us what her new name is!:Laugh:) Some kitties tolerate sweaters really well and others don't like to wear them at all. It's not a requirement, but you will definitely want to make sure you have some blankets for her to snuggle into. You're going to love having a sphynx - they are truly amazing. If this is your first, I have a strong suspicion she won't be your last!

Can't wait to see pics!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to Sphynx Lair.
What is the bio on her
I put clothes on my sphynxs sometimes.
Find out if she is used to wearing clothes.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lulubird and welcome to Sphynxlair! Congrats on your new Sphynx! Yes as Brooke said if your cold or chilly then so is your Sphynx. As far as a sweater or clothing its really preference but be sure your Sphynx has an available blanket to crawl under when cold, but they usually find there little warm areas in the house.:Laugh:

kiennasmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome Lulu Bird & Peaches!!! As others have said, one sphynx is never enough :BigSmile: They are truly amazing cats with SUCH personalities. You'll love being owned by one! There are lots of very smart people on here with a ton of knowledge if you have questions...and we all are sphynx-crazy and love talking about our babies!

Trinka

Lairian
congrats and best wishes - i am a newer mom as well - i have had my baby since dec18 and she has been one of the best decisions i have ever made - her companionship is 2nd to none -you are going to be nothing short of amazed with your new pal!!!

Lulu Bird

Lairian
Hello and thank you everyone! Thank you for all your welcome messages :) I tried a little dog sweater I had at my place on her, she didn't seem to mind it but it was too big. When I got up this morning she was nestled in a down blanket in my bathroom where it is nice and toasty warm. I knew that this breed was supposed to be affectionate but I had no idea just how affectionate :) she seems to love licking my arms.

I found her because I am the manager of a local pet supply business. A customer had said her landlord found out she had a cat and she couldn't keep her. (I was thinking she should have known she couldn't have cats there when she moved in but ohwell). She had an add in the paper for her for $50! I had been looking on Petfinder for a cat to adopt to make a good companion for my 7month old son and myself. I really wanted to rescue a cat so I felt kind of guilty for taking this one but I fell in love with her when she came into the store. I will take some photos today.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the site Lulubird. $50!?!?! Huge steal!! I'd take her to the vet asap to ensure she has no current ailments and find out who her previous vet was so you can get her previous medical history. Goodluck with her, I'm worried for you since she let her go so cheap!!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on your new baby! Welcome to the site. Sphynx are so amazing- mine never ceases to amaze me - or just crack me up :Hysterical::LOL:.

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congratulations on getting Peaches. There is nothing in the world like a Sphynx. They are the sweetist,cuddliest, nosiest, most wonderful little beings in the world.

Sara074

Lairian
Hola, que coincidencia yo también soy nueva en este foro y tambien he adoptado un sphynx de tres años y medio. Es super cariñoso.
Felicidades. Os deseo que os lleveis todos muy bien. Enhorabuena. Suerte.

Lulu Bird

Lairian
Her previous ver was in another town but I called and her shots aren't due until May. She has a healthy appetite, she has lapped some water and used the catbox. She is perky and alert. I will have my vet look her over and check her ears but she seems to be in tip top shape! Thank you for your concern. The lady said she just couldn't have her in her new apartment. She is 6 years old and is spayed and doesn't have papers. I don't think anyone should sell their pets for profits anyways - I am not sure why she wanted $50.00 but I couldn't complain. We are very happy to have her.:ThumbsUp:

I haven't thought of a name that fits her yet :)

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey Lulu Bird and Peaches! Welcome to the site! She sure looks pretty from your avatar pic. :BigSmile:

Mine won't tolerate clothes at all...his neck seems to disappear and slinks away whenever an item of clothing is brought near him!!!

Glad to hear she seems to be in good health. it maybe an idea to schedule a scan for HCM, it's a heart disorder sphynx can be prone to, to check that she's all clear and totally healthy. If you search HCM on here you'll find loads of helpful info.

Congratulations and best wishes for a happy life for you and your gorgeous new baby!

X

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't think anyone should sell their pets for profits anyways - I am not sure why she wanted $50.00 but I couldn't complain. We are very happy to have her.

Congrads on your new friend!

It seems to be a common practice to ask for a small amount of money when giving away a pet.

Far as I can tell the reasoning is if a person is willing to spend some money for the pet, then they have the money to take care of it, and dog-fight trainers/{insert bad people here} wouldn't be willing to spend money on an animal that they were going to kill off.

I think the logic behind the 're-homing' fees is sound, I don't know how effective it is though.

Lulu Bird

Lairian
That is my impression too, that people think if someone will pay a small rehoming fee they will be more likely to take care of it. You are right dog fighters probably take free pets to use as bait :( :( I didn't that of that. Thank you all for all of your notes!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the Lair! She looks adorable in the avatar picture! I can't wait to see more pictures of her. Definitely an amazing breed. :Adore:

Back