Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Just adopted my second sphynx baby!

Vadersmom

Lairian
Hello all!
I was pretty active around this time last year when I adopted Vader- a 3 year old male sphynx. He has done fantastic and absolutely changed our lives.
Today, the lady I got him from contacted me and said she had a 6 month intact male that she was looking for a home for because he has been sneezing a lot and she has a litter of small kittens she is worried about. So I went to meet him and long story short he came home with me.

Still thinking about names, but please welcome my new spotted pink baby.

He does have bouts of sneezing, and his third eyelid in both eyes very prominent so I have a few concerns. Any suggestions before we see a vet ?

Attachments

• 0271B9D6-5790-4222-AA51-43F439C85609.jpeg
    0271B9D6-5790-4222-AA51-43F439C85609.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 9632517F-7B60-475F-9799-62D1C3714054.jpeg
    9632517F-7B60-475F-9799-62D1C3714054.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 746465A3-FC7F-4A96-8FD5-F27D444AD71B.jpeg
    746465A3-FC7F-4A96-8FD5-F27D444AD71B.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 37A93A8F-6A58-425C-9F14-60DC2A223D1D.jpeg
    37A93A8F-6A58-425C-9F14-60DC2A223D1D.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 71

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats. So nice to see you again in the community. My suggestion is keep your new baby separated from your other cat. You don’t want to be treating 2 cats for something if you can help it. Last thing you want is them passing something back and forth.

Vadersmom

Lairian
Thank you! It is nice to be back. When I picked him up she said he was the only one that sneezes and it has been going on for a few weeks and she wasn’t sure how he could have gotten anything because no one new was introduced in her home. BUT- he isn’t up to date on shots or anything. She is an older Russian lady and I don’t think she quite understands the importance of it. They are separated now, I snapped those pics when I first set him down and went to get food. I came back and Vader had already found him. They acted like long lost pals - you are right though- better safe than sorry.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Vadersmom happy Gotcha he is darling! look foward to your name ideas. all paws crossed for the wellness check. I always keep my newly adopted separated till I get the thumbs up from the vet. poo sample check a good idea as mentions. ask to rule out a URI. my adoptee has seasonal allergies. he was clear of URI. vet prescribed chlortabs as needed based on his weight.

you will know more with vet check. personally I do not vaccinate if they are having any signs or symptoms of anything. I wait for things to settle, and personally do not over vaccinate my crew. No FIP vaccine or Felv (feline leukemia vaccine, as noted in many breeder kitten contracts can void contract, so I don't do it with my adoptees either).

hugs n head smooches. following for updates and a name :). they surely are going to be best buddies. my males bond extremely well. look forward to pics and tales!

Vadersmom

Lairian
@Vadersmom happy Gotcha he is darling! look foward to your name ideas. all paws crossed for the wellness check. I always keep my newly adopted separated till I get the thumbs up from the vet. poo sample check a good idea as mentions. ask to rule out a URI. my adoptee has seasonal allergies. he was clear of URI. vet prescribed chlortabs as needed based on his weight.

you will know more with vet check. personally I do not vaccinate if they are having any signs or symptoms of anything. I wait for things to settle, and personally do not over vaccinate my crew. No FIP vaccine or Felv (feline leukemia vaccine, as noted in many breeder kitten contracts can void contract, so I don't do it with my adoptees either).

hugs n head smooches. following for updates and a name :). they surely are going to be best buddies. my males bond extremely well. look forward to pics and tales!

Thank you so much! I am beyond excited and I think Vader is too.
We’re 6 hours into our new lives together and he has just slept the entire time. No eating / drinking/ litter box using. After examination with my phone flashlight and gently moving him while he slept, he is very congested with dry mucus and at one point had a wheezing fit that sounded very rattled in his chest. I’m going to take him first thing in the morning because I feel like he is very sick.
(In sadly not surprised by this after the shape Vader was in when I got him last year from this lady. She loves her cats but I really don’t think she understands how to care for them, at least not the amount she has all at one time). Thank you all for welcoming him and I’ll post an update after the appointment. He may not have had the best start but I’m hoping to get him healed up and up to date on what he needs very soon.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Vadersmom awh.... hugs n positive vibes.. he is blessed to be in your heart and home with the best of love and care. following closely for vet visit update on adorable Vader's baby brother.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congratulations! What a handsome boy he is. And so cute! Vader will be happy to have abuddy. Hope your boy will be better soon. It's great he's with you now and will ger the right care

Vadersmom

Lairian
Hello all!

Baby boy was seen today!
- upper respiratory infection
-Conjunctivitis in both eyes
-Ear infection in both ears

Given IV fluids, antibiotic injection, ear drops, eye drops, appetite stimulant, and combo tested.

hopefully we are on the up and up now.

Attachments

• CB8467F5-4C85-4E51-87AF-776258192400.jpeg
    CB8467F5-4C85-4E51-87AF-776258192400.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 64

JessicaRosexo

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So glad you have managed to find out the problem! Your a amazing sphynx mummy for getting on top of this straight away!
He is so cute, looking forward to seeing both babies together and settling in pictures❤️

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
OMG look at that sweet little face. This pic made me smile. So happy you got your baby in quickly. Can’t imagine double ear infection on top of it all. Please keep us updated. Bet you see a difference in just 2 days and what a relief for your baby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow your new baby is so beautiful. I am really glad it is nothing serious. I promised myself I would have an only child but looking at the picture of your two babies together it looks so amazing. Speedy recovery little one

Shirleyjsanchez

Lairian
Hello all!
I was pretty active around this time last year when I adopted Vader- a 3 year old male sphynx. He has done fantastic and absolutely changed our lives.
Today, the lady I got him from contacted me and said she had a 6 month intact male that she was looking for a home for because he has been sneezing a lot and she has a litter of small kittens she is worried about. So I went to meet him and long story short he came home with me.

Still thinking about names, but please welcome my new spotted pink baby.

He does have bouts of sneezing, and his third eyelid in both eyes very prominent so I have a few concerns. Any suggestions before we see a vet ?
Hello, would you mind giving some advice how you came across Sphinx for adoption. I only believe In Adopting- I’ve had dogs and cats all my life from shelters. My boyfriend is allergic therefore we don’t have Many options when it. Ones to adopting. Much appreciated for your feedback, & glad life is going great with your four legged best friend!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hello all!

Baby boy was seen today!
- upper respiratory infection
-Conjunctivitis in both eyes
-Ear infection in both ears

Given IV fluids, antibiotic injection, ear drops, eye drops, appetite stimulant, and combo tested.

hopefully we are on the up and up now.
First of all congratulations on your new little addition.

As I was reading I was thinking, boy does that sound like a URI. And sure enough. Now the other question is, has he had his vaccines yet? You definitely want to make sure he gets them if he has not had them. One of the vaccines is for Calicivirus which is one of the main causes of URI's. One of my sphynxes has that and the poor guy gets a lot of URI's. In his case we believe he was vaccinated too late so the vaccine did not work.

You could ask the breeder what vet she used, assuming there was one, and get your kitten's medical history. Just to make sure you don't given anything twice.

Back