Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Just checking in

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey everyone,
I really miss getting on here daily. :Sad: Been sort of crazy the past couple of weeks. Applied for a new position in my place of work and got it! Woo hoo! I spent several nights preparing for those three, one hour interviews. :Dizzy: Stella seems to be doing well, except for the slight irritation to her skin. I took her to the vet over two weeks ago for her paws and vulva. I found dark, flakey, waxy crumbs (for lack of a better word) in between her paws that seemed to be more than just the normal waxy build up they can get on their nails and I found irritation (redness) around the vulva. We're currently battling these irritations. The vet gave me MalAcetic wet wipes and Duoxo Seborrhea Shampoo to treat her for a couple of weeks. I will say that the irritation has let up around the paws and vulva, but it's still there. Especially around the vulva. Perhaps it takes a little more time. What really brings me down is the thought of not doing something right. I have no idea what has caused those irritations. Just when you think you're doing everything by the book, something seems to happen. At least that's what it feels like. I do everything I can to maintain her well being..her hygiene, comfort, nutrition... They said she's very healthy. She's still acting like her crazy but lovable self. Is anyone familiar with irritations in these areas? Know any possible causes? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Furthermore, I think we're having another flare up. Her eye is squinting and slightly watery. Sigh. This would be her second one in the past month (if it is one). The last one didn't last very long, fortunately. She's due for a dental next month which I'm a little nervous about, but I've requested the use of Iso. They said they prefer that anyway.

I am very behind on the news here on Sphynxlair. I want to give my condolences to those who are going through tough times right now. You can never prepare yourself for a tragedy, but I just hope you all can come out strong in the end. So much love and support from the Lair!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congratulations on your new position! :Celebrate:

Sorry to hear Stella's been having some problems...poor baby.

It sounds to me like you're a fantastic mumma...I'll leave it to the more experienced owners to give you advice...just wanted to send Stella get well hugs!

X

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks you all! Stella is sitting on my lap right now. She says hi! She seems to be doing just fine. If only this irritation and this lovely flare up would go away. . . We'll get through it. It hasn't stopped her from being ornery. :Wink:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on the promotion and happy to see you whenever you can make it! I was gone a week and seems like I missed sooooo much!

Thanks! Yes, it's crazy how out of touch you can become in just a few days. . .let alone a week! Congrats on your new arrivals, by the way. :Smile: I would love to see so many Sphynx running around and owning the house!

Brooke

Banned
Did the vet do a culture or skin scraping or any kind of test on the irritation between her toes or on her vulva? Sounds like it could be yeast, maybe? But the MalAcetic and the medicated shampoo aren't really treating anything specific, just relieving her symptoms. What are they doing to try to figure out what's causing it?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hello Dani and Stella!!!! Great to hear from you. I know what you mean, I can't get on here as often and as much as I'd like either. It is hard to keep up.

Congrats on your new position! That is so exciting. I hope you love it!

Feel better Stella.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Did the vet do a culture or skin scraping or any kind of test on the irritation between her toes or on her vulva? Sounds like it could be yeast, maybe? But the MalAcetic and the medicated shampoo aren't really treating anything specific, just relieving her symptoms. What are they doing to try to figure out what's causing it?

Yes, I forgot to add that they did a skin scraping and it showed that there were no signs of a bacterial infection or yeast. Yeast was the first thing that came to my mind too. Sorry, I was in a hurry when I typed the first paragraph so I forgot to add a few things. They did mention that the small skin fold on her vulva could be causing the problem back there. She weighs between 7 and 7 1/2 pounds, but they said I could get her to lose another 3/4 pound to another pound. They said that "could help". If that is the case then that's only assisting the problem going on on her backside. What about her paws? I am suppose to bring her back in if the symptoms aren't relieved.

Brooke

Banned
Hmm. I wonder if it could be contact dermatitis from her kitty litter?

Just for "shiggles" maybe try using a different litter, like Yesterday's News or something not clay based and unscented for a couple of weeks and see if it doesn't clear up? The paws definitely touch litter, and if she squats really low when she pees (I know Helen does) the litter might be making contact with her girly parts, too. And those are the only two areas that are affected, right?

Might be worth a shot, since nothing showed up on the skin scraping...

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hmm. I wonder if it could be contact dermatitis from her kitty litter?

Just for "shiggles" maybe try using a different litter, like Yesterday's News or something not clay based and unscented for a couple of weeks and see if it doesn't clear up? The paws definitely touch litter, and if she squats really low when she pees (I know Helen does) the litter might be making contact with her girly parts, too. And those are the only two areas that are affected, right?

Might be worth a shot, since nothing showed up on the skin scraping...

Totally makes sense. Thanks for pointing this out! I bought Yesterday's News yesterday and the first thing my babies do is try to attack the bag. They thought it was food, I guess. I caught Stella trying to bite one of the pieces. :Frown: I used about a 1/3 of the new and put 2/3 of the previous litter so I can make the transition run smoothly. She caught on quick that it belongs to the potty.

And thank you everyone for your kindness! This is off subject, but WOW I just felt some talons tear down my arm. I guess she thought she was sliding down a pole or something. . .

Back