Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Just got a kitty!!

Hi there!!! I am Becca and I'm brand new -- just put a payment on a kitten today! I'm planning on registering him as emotional support and I am really REALLY excited. I've wanted a sphynx for years. He's coming in January when I have the month off to settle him in. :) I wanted to ask advice because I am so nervous that I'm unprepared as he is my first kitten!! I'd love to know if this list looks good, and what I should do around my apartment to "sphynx-proof" it so he will be safe and happy!!

1. Blankets!!! I know he needs to be warm so I plan to have blankets around that he can snuggle in, and one on his bed as well.

2. The food the breeder feeds him, I don't want to switch up what he's used to. I was going to get glass bowls as I have heard they are easy to clean. She feeds him solid gold grain free high protein and Darwin’s natural pet food raw chicken.

3. Toys and a scratching surface!

4. A litter box with the same litter the breeder uses.

5. A comfy bed (any recommendations?)

ANY recommendations for skin care? I've seen coconut oil is good. I want to get the same shampoo the breeder uses as well, I figured that'd be the safest bet.

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@beccerzz11
Welcome, to the lair family ! So excited for you ! We can't wait for updates amd your journey with us !
Glad you joined this fun friendly bunch!
lots of greet threads to prep for Gotcha day! Of course name ideas too!
We will chime in with ideas for you to see what works best for your baby!

When I joined , a member told me about Hylyt shampoo
My vets office sells it too
It's soap free hypoallergenic easy rinse

A pair of exfoliating gloves and baby face clothes :)
Kitty proof for life , watch stove tops , dryers , flowers , cords , jewelry , breakables , yarn,
Even kitty proof toys bells feathers etc

Lol comfy bed ideas ! I bought so many
The best fav is my bed with a few 50x60 inch fleece throws from Ross or Marshalls type stores.
The precision pet hide amd seek bed with openings on each side -the only one mine like besides my bed lol

Attachments

Last edited:

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mine sleep everywhere but their beds lol. They used to sleep in their beds some when we lived in a different place and the beds were in front of a window. So that's one idea....put their things near a window. If you get a cat tree, put it in front of a window.

Everybody that has a cat has to deal with kitchen counter surfing. The best thing is provide an alternative for when you are in the kitchen and your cat wants to see what you're doing. Barstools could work. I have a little stepladder and they get on that too. Basically they need a place where they can see what you're doing.

Last edited:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @beccerzz11 and welcome to Spyhnxlair! So glad you found us! Please enjoy our wonderful sphynx community! :)

I am picking up my precious baby tomorrow. In addition to your list I got facial exfoliating sponges and made a shower basket out of things I will need to groom her. Because I live in the Midwest I have also purchased clothing and a heated bed. I have read that they really love their toys so I have bought ample amount of toys. I also bought a cat sling to carry her around if I take her out with me. I'd also like to get mine certified as an emotional support animal.

The time from when I put down my deposit until I could pick her up has been the longest wait next to being pregnant.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@beccerzz11 welcome to sphynxlair. Congratulations with your soon to be new addition to the family.
How exciting!

My four love the snuggle pouchds as their catbeds and the little house on top of the cattree. They really like Da Bird as a toy. And indeed they're crazy about blankets.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair!!!! Your life is about to,change forever. Here is an area of the community you might find helpful. Sphynx Cat Help Center

Last edited:
I am picking up my precious baby tomorrow. In addition to your list I got facial exfoliating sponges and made a shower basket out of things I will need to groom her. Because I live in the Midwest I have also purchased clothing and a heated bed. I have read that they really love their toys so I have bought ample amount of toys. I also bought a cat sling to carry her around if I take her out with me. I'd also like to get mine certified as an emotional support animal.

The time from when I put down my deposit until I could pick her up has been the longest wait next to being pregnant.
CONGRATS on your new baby!! The only thing I worry about with the heated beds is them burning themselves -- is there a way to temperature control them so they don't hurt themselves?

Yoda mom

Staff member
Which bed do you have ? Several of us have the k&h heated bed

@Xandria i had greats pics of her set up

Welcome! Dont know if this will help but this is what I found out with my first two naked babies:

Im from the southern united states and ironically, my cats got colder in our house in the summer time because of the AC running. That was when they wore more clothing and we took extra precautions to keep them warm. Remember, if you are cold, your kitty is most likely cold! Vice versa, we have some pretty harsh winters in Arkansas as well, so they would be the most warm during those months because we kept the heat cranked up! :)
When bathing, I kept a small handtowel or baby towel in the tub, and when I felt like they were getting too cool I would lay the (wet) towel across their backs to keep them toasty while I scrubbed paws, face, etc. Also for bathtime I love those exfoliating bath gloves. Gentle to use on the face and tail where their blackheads would most occur.
Mine slept mostly in our bed! But having cheap little throw blankets around the house helps too (this time of year Ive noticed that dollar general has super cute ones)

Theres lots of great info here at the lair from others much more experienced than me. It seems like alot sometimes but trust me, it is WELL worth it :)

Oh yes, and unscented baby wipes were a MUST HAVE for me. Keep them in a "warmer" place and they are great for grabbing quickly and wiping down when they get a little too grubby between baths, especially around the face, neck, "armpits", belly, and bottoms after pooing!