Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Just picked up little Isis!

Ashleyraek

Lairian
Hello, my name is Ashley Rae and I just picked up our first cat yesterday from Queens, NY. Her bred name is Stella Blue, but we really liked the name Isis.

My brother and I just moved into a large farm house in June, and the house has just been so empty since we've moved in. I've been out of the house for over 3 years now, but this is my brothers first time. We've always had pets growing up (mostly dogs) so we definitely started to look for someone to warm up the house a bit.

My one friend has had Sphynxes in the past, and always rants and raves how they are the best cats. After doing extensive research on them, I discussed the breed with my brother, made sure this was a commitment we were willing to make, and then started looking for a kitty!

We ended up finding Isis on Craigslist from someone who was moving to a non-pet friendly apartment but just got her in January from a breeder in NC. She is an unaltered, 9 month old blue marked female. We scooped Isis up and all her goodies and even though its only been one night she has really kept us on our toes and are just completely involved in her!

I am at work now while my brother is at home with her, but I was already able to go out and get a ton of new toys and warm beds to scatter around the house. :Laugh:

Needless to say, I can't wait to get home and play with her!

She thinks she's a burger!
IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am so happy you have joined the sphynx family and The Lair. She looks very much like my little Maizie. Are you planning on spaying her soon? There can be alot of serious complications if she keeps going into heat. I bet after awhile you will just have to get another...LOL. I have 4 rescues now.

Ashleyraek

Lairian
Thanks for the welcomes! Its definately exciting.

We plan on spaying her soon...We discussed how it may be fun to get a litter but i have to do far more research on that about certifications, what to exspect, ect.

I'm a biologist. Even thought I specailize in cell and molecular biology, genetics and breeding has always been a huge interest of mine!

Its a very small chance we will ever breed her, but we are just going to leave that option open for a little while.

What age do they start going into heat?

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome to the Lair. Isis is gorgeous. I am glad she found a forever home. Sphynx are really the most wonderful pets. The way they interact with everyone in the house is amazing. I guess I should say, the way they "take over the house" is amazing. :LOL:

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Isi must be a common name, My DSH is named Isis, My Piglets mom's name is Isis.

She is very pretty. I wouls say she should be comming into heat now if she has not already. My Isis came into heat at 6 mths.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Isis is gorgeous and it's nice to meet you. If she's 9 months old you can expect her to go into heat any time now. And no worries, she'll let you know when it happens.

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to the Lair! You'll definitely know when she goes into heat. Is she registered? Stud service can be quite expensive and these kittens are very fragile for the first few weeks of life. Breeding is difficult and often a very costly endeavor. Make sure you are ready for the kind of committment that would take before you decide to breed--often need to tube feed, give sub-q fluids, etc. Can be easy as pie, but can also be a total nightmare.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Ashleyraek and welcome to Sphynxlair! What a great story, hope you enjoy your new Sphynx! Please enjoy the site!:ThumbsUp:

Bella07

Banned
Breeding can be a very costly endeavor....if you do plan to breed, it's a huge commitment. Research HCM, be sure to do all the necessary tests, research her pedigree and lines, be sure she represents the Sphynx standard, registered, etc....And that's just the beginning. Long journey ahead, and it should never be taken lightly. Breed only the best of the best!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
She is gorgeous!! Congratulations on your new baby and welcome to the Lair!

Breeding can be very costly, I would highly recommend finding someone in your area that is willing to mentor you so you can learn about sphynx breeding before breeding your own Sphynx. That way you can get a true feeling of how things may go and how quick things can go downhill with the fragile souls.

ktate88

Banned
Isis is BEAUTIFUL!!! I just love blue babies. Congratulations to you and your brother on your new family member. Sphynx are just amazing! Welcome to SL, it is a wonderful community. :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congrats on your new addition. Please consider getting her fixed. So she can be the love of your life.

Last edited:

bellasmom

Banned
Congratulations, she's gorgeous! Expect her to be a part of your every daily activity from now on. :BigSmile: Mine help with everything I do!

Mine does too! always trying to help with making the bed or perches on the sink digging in my make-up bag while I do my hair and make-up

Welcome and Congrats! Get ready to become obsessed!!

Back