Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Just started feeding Raw to my boys!

Pbinky

Banned
A quick little background. Pbinky is now a year and almost 5 months and The Skinner (aka Skinny) is now almost 10 months. Pbinky has always been in good health and has never had any digestion issues. When we first got Pbinky we had him on Wellness and he did very well with that.... Enter Skinny. Skinny came to us with Giardia and URI. He had diarrhea off and on after we got rid of the Giardia and continued to test him just in case... he had no giardia. I just think that he had his gut "rocked" with all the meds and the parasite itself. Vet recommended we put him on Medi - Cal Gastro (food from vet's office) which we did and he did ok for awhile on that. He's poop was normal and did not smell at all. Pbinky had to be changed over as well because it's a bit difficult to keep both boys on separate food. Pbinky liked the gastro and did well on it as well. Infact, his poop didn't smell as bad anymore and appeared to be more brown in color as opposed to the dark brown it was before.
Resently, Skinny had a loose stool. Not full diarrhea at all but still loose. So i finally decided that i should give Raw a try. Skinny LOVES IT. When i say loves it, i mean he goes crazy for it.... like a wild animal crazy. Pbinky hates it and still insists on his canned wet food.
I'm writing this to all of you because i just want some advice/support in making sure i'm doing the right thing.
So this is what i've been doing and it's been 2 days.
I leave dry food out and i'm a bit reluctant to ever take that away. Dry food is half the Gastro and half Wellness.
At meal times i give the boys a choice. For Skinny i have a platter with raw meat and a table spoon full of Gastro wet food. For Pbinky, i have his wet food and tiny chunks of raw meat mixed into his wet food. Skinny goes straight for the raw food and pays little to no attention to the wet food. Pbinky eats his wet food but knows something is different with his food and eats it with caution. He then goes to the platter where the raw meat is and stares and Skinny.... wonder how the heck he could be enjoying the meat so much! He sniffs around the raw, stares and Skinny, sniffs again and then walks away.
What i've put into the Raw food so far:
skinless boneless chicken breast cut into cubes
spring lamb chops, without the bone.
some chicken heart and stomach (gizzards)
some chicken rib bones which i've cut up with kitchen shears so the boys can get used to the texture of the bones.

I prepared enough of this for just short of a week. I have 2 days worth in the fridge and the rest in the freezer which i will thaw as i need it.
Saturday i'm going to the butcher to get some rabbit (poor bunny rabbit) and quail as well as more chicken. I would like to start adding more things like wings, and breast with bones attached soon as well as Skinny is really getting the hang of eating raw meat. Pbinky on the other hand will have to continue with me hiding it in his wet food until he stops turning his nose up at what is on the platter.

I guess i just want to know if i'm doing this right.... i don't want to compromise my babies health because of something i have missed.
Also, Skinny has been acting like a crazy cat since eating raw in the past two days. He's kicking the crap out of Pbinky and i'm afraid he's now acquired the taste for blood and he's going to eat Pbinky alive. :Woo: Is that normal or is that just me being paranoid :Hysterical:

I'm trying to upload a video of Skinny eating his breakfast this morning but Youtube is not cooperating with me and i'm having a heck of a time uploading it!! I will post it as soon as i can. He's so cute when he eats!!! I've been calling him my little tiger since he's been eating raw.
Mummy loves her boys!!:Impish:

Brooke

Banned
Very cool! I'm at work, so I'll have to come back later and post some more...

The only thing I see that's missing, that's fairly important is liver. Liver should make up about 5% of their diet. Other than that, it sounds like you're doing great!

If you haven't checked it out, www.rawfedcats.org is a great site for more info.

After my cats eat their regular raw food, they act fairly normal (always hyper) but when they get their meaty bones...watch out. They run around the house like wild animals. I think crunching up bones must set off some wild animal instinct in them. They got to eat rabbit bones last night and proceeded to terrorize me for about two hours after...:LOL: They just have crazy energy, literally bouncing off the walls!

Skinny probably does have a taste for blood now, but not kitty blood. Don't worry - he won't turn into a cannibal. :Wink:

PitRottMommy

Banned
I'm glad you have decided to switch to raw diet, you'll love the benefits and your pets will be much healthier for it.

It sounds to me like you're doing everything right so far in trying to get everyone switched over. If you make raw the only food available, most cats will buckle within 12 hours and at least try the food. If you give them other options, they often will go with their original food. Most cats are not big on change. Don't be scared to leave bone in for cats, as long as it's raw, chewing on bone helps to clean teeth.

One thing I would recommend is adding taurine to the diet. You can find this online in powder to tablet form. I use PetAg Taurine tabs and my cats act like its kitty crack. I'd also recommend liver and raw egg.

You've noticed with Skinny what Brooke and I have both noticed with our companions: They're much more energetic and wired when they're fed raw. We can only presume that this is because we're weeding out the crud in past foods and feeding a more ideal food. My female, Buffy, used to hate everyone in the house messing with her...she's happy to join in with playing and running around like a complete fool. Brooke can add her information in for her cats, she's noticed just as many changes as I have. What other diet boasts benefits for behavioral change for the good? That being said, there's no such thing as "a taste for blood". This is an illogical rumor that started with no foundation. Consider this: If pets really did get a "taste for blood", why haven't they chewed their own limbs off after licking an open wound?

Pbinky

Banned
thanks Brook. i did take a look at that site before i started and it was really helpful. I also noticed about the liver too.... i will get some ASAP and give start feeding it to the boys.
i guess Skinny does have more energy then normal and he's probably trying not to kill Pbinky... i hope :Dizzy:
i'll look forward to your post later when you're off work. Thanks for your help!!

Very cool! I'm at work, so I'll have to come back later and post some more...

The only thing I see that's missing, that's fairly important is liver. Liver should make up about 5% of their diet. Other than that, it sounds like you're doing great!

If you haven't checked it out, www.rawfedcats.org is a great site for more info.

After my cats eat their regular raw food, they act fairly normal (always hyper) but when they get their meaty bones...watch out. They run around the house like wild animals. I think crunching up bones must set off some wild animal instinct in them. They got to eat rabbit bones last night and proceeded to terrorize me for about two hours after...:LOL: They just have crazy energy, literally bouncing off the walls!

Skinny probably does have a taste for blood now, but not kitty blood. Don't worry - he won't turn into a cannibal. :Wink:

Pbinky

Banned
Thanks PitRott Mommy!
Since it's been only 2 days i'm a bit reluctant to make the change so quick on Pbinky. You see, Pbinky is a sensitive boy... i know it sounds crazy but he is effected by everything. Once i bought a new stainless steel bowl for him and Skinny to put their dry food in and it scared Pbinky so bad that he refused to go into the kitchen for 2 days!! i had to feed him in the hall way... no joke.
I will however keep adding a tiny bit more meat chunks into his wet food and slowly faze out the wet that way.
i'm worried about taking the dry food away eventually as well. i know that my babies like to eat freely and i don't want to deprive them. i'm thinking of maybe doing a slow switch to UNO (sp) dry food once they both are settled into eating the raw for their 2 meals. I think UNO is a fairly high quality and is all protien...?? I just don't want them to have nothing to eat all day while i'm at work... it just seems a bit mean... i'm i wrong in thinking that? Or am i just a worry wart? :Dizzy:

I will look into the taurine supplement. i'm in Canada so i hope i can find a distributor out my way. And i will start giving bones out by this weekend.
I'M EXCITED!!!
I hope Skinny's bum bum troubles will be put to rest. And i hope my little sensitive boy Pbinky will get the hang of eating raw. He is VERY interested though, he watches Skinny like a hawk when he eats. So i'm sure he'll give it a try in no time.
Thanks again for your help!!

I'm glad you have decided to switch to raw diet, you'll love the benefits and your pets will be much healthier for it.

It sounds to me like you're doing everything right so far in trying to get everyone switched over. If you make raw the only food available, most cats will buckle within 12 hours and at least try the food. If you give them other options, they often will go with their original food. Most cats are not big on change. Don't be scared to leave bone in for cats, as long as it's raw, chewing on bone helps to clean teeth.

One thing I would recommend is adding taurine to the diet. You can find this online in powder to tablet form. I use PetAg Taurine tabs and my cats act like its kitty crack. I'd also recommend liver and raw egg.

You've noticed with Skinny what Brooke and I have both noticed with our companions: They're much more energetic and wired when they're fed raw. We can only presume that this is because we're weeding out the crud in past foods and feeding a more ideal food. My female, Buffy, used to hate everyone in the house messing with her...she's happy to join in with playing and running around like a complete fool. Brooke can add her information in for her cats, she's noticed just as many changes as I have. What other diet boasts benefits for behavioral change for the good? That being said, there's no such thing as "a taste for blood". This is an illogical rumor that started with no foundation. Consider this: If pets really did get a "taste for blood", why haven't they chewed their own limbs off after licking an open wound?

PitRottMommy

Banned
Quick changes are often easiest on the GI system when changing from kibble to raw, even though you've heard everything but this about switching from kibble to kibble. This is because you're going from a diet that cats systems are usually not adjusted to (ie. they weren't meant to eat naturally) to one that is entirely made for their system. You can actually make your cat finicky by giving them a few food options. Pbinky isn't the only cat that I've heard of having a problem with reflective surfaces, this actually isn't unheard of in cats because they're more perceptive than dogs.

Remember with your concern of taking dry food away completely: Dry food is the main reason why those that feed raw choose to do so. There's nothing added into raw food that's a filler, a grain or other product that could harm your pets. Remember, choices...your companions like to eat frequently because they've been permitted to do so. While domestic cats are not very closely linked with wild cats anymore, consider that they do not graze on food. This is something we've introduced since the 1970's in domestic house pets. Up until that point, cats did fine eating a single meal per day or once every other day when they were catching their own food. Grazing also encourages obesity. If you're concerned about their preferences, give them small amounts 3-5 times per day and wean them down to a single or double meal per day just like you're doing with the canned food.

I could find no information on Uno...is it Evo, perhaps?

susi794

Staff member
I agree that you should add the liver and the raw egg--organ meat is important and the taurine supplement is also a good idea--just so you know for sure you are meeting all their needs. Once Pbinky accepts the raw diet, I would take away all the dry food--they won't starve if they don't free feed all day.

Pbinky

Banned
Yes, Evo!! Sorry, i'm not sure where i got Uno from??

As for the reflective bowl, the sales man at the store where i got it from said the same thing..... Pbinky isn't the only weirdo afraid of stainless steel.

I've always heard that sphynx cats eat more then regular kitties.... i would feel bad being gone to work all day without having something there for them to eat.... of course they are sleeping all day and probably pay no attention to the dry food bowl.
feeding them raw several times a day for awhile seems like the best thing to do....

Quick changes are often easiest on the GI system when changing from kibble to raw, even though you've heard everything but this about switching from kibble to kibble. This is because you're going from a diet that cats systems are usually not adjusted to (ie. they weren't meant to eat naturally) to one that is entirely made for their system. You can actually make your cat finicky by giving them a few food options. Pbinky isn't the only cat that I've heard of having a problem with reflective surfaces, this actually isn't unheard of in cats because they're more perceptive than dogs.

Remember with your concern of taking dry food away completely: Dry food is the main reason why those that feed raw choose to do so. There's nothing added into raw food that's a filler, a grain or other product that could harm your pets. Remember, choices...your companions like to eat frequently because they've been permitted to do so. While domestic cats are not very closely linked with wild cats anymore, consider that they do not graze on food. This is something we've introduced since the 1970's in domestic house pets. Up until that point, cats did fine eating a single meal per day or once every other day when they were catching their own food. Grazing also encourages obesity. If you're concerned about their preferences, give them small amounts 3-5 times per day and wean them down to a single or double meal per day just like you're doing with the canned food.

I could find no information on Uno...is it Evo, perhaps?

Pbinky

Banned
Thanks for that susi.
I often forget that they don't do much but sleep all day. I agree that once Pbinky starts accepting the raw diet then i should remove the dry food.

I agree that you should add the liver and the raw egg--organ meat is important and the taurine supplement is also a good idea--just so you know for sure you are meeting all their needs. Once Pbinky accepts the raw diet, I would take away all the dry food--they won't starve if they don't free feed all day.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Thanks for that susi.
I often forget that they don't do much but sleep all day. I agree that once Pbinky starts accepting the raw diet then i should remove the dry food.

I doubly agree. Caloric intake is somewhat different from haired cats, but food intake increase isn't necessary. In fact, the higher quality the food, the less they'll need. If you're worried about maintaining the "full" factor, try adding a tsp of canned pumpkin or mashed sweet potato (previously boiled) to their raw diet. This'll definitely help them if they're constant eaters. My cats all turned 2 on Valentine's Day...and they're doing just fine on a single meal per day. Baldwin's been on raw since he was 8 months old (again, still a single meal per day).

Pbinky

Banned
i just noticed that the dry food isn't really being eaten much at all. I believe it's still Pbinky grazing while Skinny hasn't eaten much of it at all. He's also not eating much of the raw food this morning either.... Is it because he doesn't need so much now that he's eating raw? Anyhow, my rule of thumb is to leave it out (raw) for no more than an hour then i toss out what wasn't eating to avoid any nasty bacteria....

I doubly agree. Caloric intake is somewhat different from haired cats, but food intake increase isn't necessary. In fact, the higher quality the food, the less they'll need. If you're worried about maintaining the "full" factor, try adding a tsp of canned pumpkin or mashed sweet potato (previously boiled) to their raw diet. This'll definitely help them if they're constant eaters. My cats all turned 2 on Valentine's Day...and they're doing just fine on a single meal per day. Baldwin's been on raw since he was 8 months old (again, still a single meal per day).

Brooke

Banned
i just noticed that the dry food isn't really being eaten much at all. I believe it's still Pbinky grazing while Skinny hasn't eaten much of it at all. He's also not eating much of the raw food this morning either.... Is it because he doesn't need so much now that he's eating raw? Anyhow, my rule of thumb is to leave it out (raw) for no more than an hour then i toss out what wasn't eating to avoid any nasty bacteria....

My reply will be a little bit all over the place, since I've got some responses to a few of the posts in this thread...here goes!

I agree with Susi and Pitrottmommy - once you've transitioned them both over, you won't need the kibble at all. The raw food keeps them satisfied longer. My cats get two meals a day and nothing while I'm at work. They are all a healthy weight, and clearly not starving - even though sometimes they act like it!! :LOL: Think about cats in the wild, especially since you're now feeding your cats the same diet that cats in the wild get and are intended to eat - they certainly don't graze all day. They eat one raw meal per day, if lucky, and thrive on it. That's what their systems are designed for - from their claws, and sharp teeth meant for ripping and shredding, to their amazing jaws (that can crunch up bones with ease that I struggle to cut with my kitchen shears), to their short digestive tracts, virtually immune to the bacterias that we humans have to worry so much about when we cook our meats. They are truly amazing.

In addition, raw food and kibble digest at different rates, so it's not a good idea to feed raw and kibble at the same time. If you do feed kibble, you should wait several hours after feeding the raw.

I've heard/read different theories about how long it's safe to leave the raw food out for your cats. As little as half an hour and as long as 24 hours. I agree with your 1 hour estimate. In my house, there is NEVER any food left on the plates, so it's not a concern. No joke, they lick them clean within minutes!

Do definitely look into that taurine supplement. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/PetAg-Taurine-Tablets-Cats-250mg/dp/B00061MRJU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267020730&sr=8-5"]Amazon.com: PetAg Taurine Tablets for Cats 250mg: Home & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11863XZGABL.@@AMEPARAM@@11863XZGABL[/ame] a link to buy from Amazon. Like pitrottmommy, my cats also think this stuff is kitty crack! Taurine deficiency is a big concern in a homemade raw diet, and can cause heart and vision problems. You can meet the taurine requirements without supplementing, but it's very hard to overdo taurine, and better to be safe than sorry.

As far as getting Pbinky transitioned, you might have luck with some ground meat at first, mixed with his canned food, half and half. The texture of the ground meat will be closer to what he's used to. Right now you just need to get him to taste it and realize it's food! Each day decrease the amount of canned food until he's eating all ground raw. Once you get to that point, then start adding in chunked meat. Just a suggestion, of course! There are so many tricks...Another one that worked really well for me was sprinkling dehydrated chicken liver on top of the raw food. (That's also kitty crack). You might also experiment with different proteins. I know someone from a different forum who had a hell of a time transitioning her cat to raw, tried every trick in the book...until one day she offered him some pork and he instantly loved it. Now he eats everything. It was just a matter of finding that one meat that would spark his interest.

Since you're going to try bones - I suggest chicken necks (if you can find them) cut into 1 inch pieces. These are perfect beginner bones, small and soft, so the cats won't have to work too hard at first. They'll have to build up their jaw strength and work up to eating larger bones. If you can't find chicken necks, chicken wing tips or the ribs from a chicken breast are also good starter bones.

Good luck!

PitRottMommy

Banned
I don't think there's any set amount of time. My boys eat it the minute it hits the dish and my female cat usually takes a few hours. After about 12 hours, I discard anything that isn't eaten.

That being said, my dogs get raw meaty bones and I'll leave those in their kennel to be chewed on for about 48 hours before they get trashed.

Pbinky

Banned
Ya, i'm sure a few hours will be fine too. this morning i tossed out some chunks of meat that Skinny didn't eat and i probably should have just left them...
I'm going to order that Taurine online because i'm having no luck finding it in any stores. I did however pick up some taurine today but it's in capsule form which i will try to sprinkle on the meat until i get the chewable form. I guess 250 ml daily is ok?

One more question, how much do you feed your kitties per meal. Maybe i'm giving them too much and that is why their not finishing it...?? I don't want to be wasteful and have to toss out food every time i feed them.

This morning i cut up meat into small pieces and mixed it into Pbinky's wet food and he ate it all up!! i'm sure he'll come around in no time. :BigSmile:

PitRottMommy

Banned
There's a big difference between mL and mg. Assuming this is in dry form, I'm betting you're talking about mg. In such a case, give 1/2 tablet to each cat daily. 100mg is normally sufficient for each cat.

I give each cat about 3oz. That should be enough to fill your palm.

In addition, don't rule out your vet for Taurine. They have access to it too (how do you think I get it? lol. I purchase it from our distributor).

Brooke

Banned
I give each cat about 3oz. That should be enough to fill your palm.

Same here...the boys get a bit more than the girls, but they are twice as big. Some eat more than others. Walter is very lean but he could eat twice as much as Nelson, who weighs 3 lbs more than him.

To give a basic idea, my four cats go through about a pound of food per day.

Pbinky

Banned
Thanks!!! I'll keep that the 3oz in mind! And yes i meant mg. My mind is a bit mushy, sorry. :Dizzy:
I called my vet today about the Taurine but they said they don't carry it. I'm going to call around to other vets too see if i can find some. So 100mg daily for taurine. Perfect!

Back