Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kahiki suddenly got red bumps all over!?

Laulau

Lairian
So one of our sphynx randomly started getting red bumps ALL over his body! We haven't given him anything different he seems to be licking himself, seems itchy....anyone have any suggestions our other spyhnx is fine

Attachments

Staceyxxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Looks like it may be an allergy, I would take her to vet, bless her. If she is itchy and over grooming it can start to get really red and angry as their tongues are so ruff.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes see a vet ASAP. If nothing else they will probably need to give a little Benadryl or steroid to get the inflammation down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Laulau

Lairian
We took him a bath and then wrapped him in a blanket and he has been chillin and sleeping, seems to have gone down but still kinda red. Will call the vet tomorrow. Just weird because nothing has changed

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We took him a bath and then wrapped him in a blanket and he has been chillin and sleeping, seems to have gone down but still kinda red. Will call the vet tomorrow. Just weird because nothing has changed View attachment 90205
It does not look to me as if it has gone down. If you look closely, the red area on the rump has increased so the single red bumps are actually runny together and forming a solid sheet of raised red. Please keep a close eye. It was good to give a bath but I would still advise seeing a vet sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Laulau awhhh poor baby Positive vibes sent
Always best to get vet check and meds on board if necessary sooner than later

Does he wear sweaters ? Does he go outside ?

Following closely for updates

Here is a link .. (Click on the green colored title )
When you scroll to the bottom of pages look for "similar threads "

head smooches to both

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
Is he getting a vet check today?
The vet office gets busy busy especially on a Monday

Personally would call back

Laulau

Lairian
I know I use to work at this one ...theirs only like 3 vet offices here on big island all are filled up and they don't think it's life threating so it's not an emergency to them...very irritating

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hugs. It looks like allergies which could be as simple as detergent or as complicated as food and environment. Hopefully you get in soon. While expensive, allergy testing is worth it for narrowing allergies down. Once diagnosed, treatment can commence.

Laulau

Lairian
Well we already have him on the z/d diet from the vet because our other boy had skin issues....hes been on this food since we got him...can he just randomly get a food allergie over night? Same with the detergent have been using the same one ever since we had him? And our home environment has not changed...i agree it looks like an allergy I just have no idea why it's never been an issue and randomly popped up out of nowhere when nothings changed....we finally got an appt for Friday so we will see, the vets really suck here on big island

Beckinboots

Lairian
Humans can develop sudden allergies to things that they've used with no prior problems so I would imagine it's the same with kitties. I hope you get to te bottom of the issue soon.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor little man.

My Elfie had a very similar rash last year. The vet said it was a contact allergy and gave her a shot of Benadryl in the office and some liquid to take home. It cleared up really quick and she hadn’t had it flair up again knock on wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Awe-poor baby. I hope it clears up soon. Did you change anything like your detergent, shampoo, etc?

oolahappi

Lairian
So one of our sphynx randomly started getting red bumps ALL over his body! We haven't given him anything different he seems to be licking himself, seems itchy....anyone have any suggestions our other spyhnx is fine
My sphynx gets the same random red bumps on her back legs. They are intermittent, lasting a day or so, then they go away. They lasted longer when she was younger (less than a year) and tend to appear in the fall. I didn't change food or detergents. I'm assuming it's seasonal allergies. My vet was baffled.

Laulau

Lairian
My sphynx gets the same random red bumps on her back legs. They are intermittent, lasting a day or so, then they go away. They lasted longer when she was younger (less than a year) and tend to appear in the fall. I didn't change food or detergents. I'm assuming it's seasonal allergies. My vet was baffled.
Yes very confusing, and our other lil man laulau has very sensitive skin he is a year it's why we started feeding the z/d diet my vet recommended, but laulau doesn't show any signs of skin irritation ...hopefully the vet can help on Friday

oolahappi

Lairian
Yes very confusing, and our other lil man laulau has very sensitive skin he is a year it's why we started feeding the z/d diet my vet recommended, but laulau doesn't show any signs of skin irritation ...hopefully the vet can help on Friday
Same, during these 'outbreaks' my girl doesn't seem uncomfortable. Try not to let your vet suck you into buying lotions and potions. Who knows, could be stress?! I find the skin issues Oolie has experienced come and eventually go. From now on, I'll only consult my vet if they last a week or more, and of course, if she is uncomfortable. I do have an Antidermatosis Shampoo (with sulfur and salicylic acid) that i bath her with once a month.

Laulau

Lairian
Poor little man.

My Elfie had a very similar rash last year. The vet said it was a contact allergy and gave her a shot of Benadryl in the office and some liquid to take home. It cleared up really quick and she hadn’t had it flair up again knock on wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oooo that's great news i hope that is the case! How long did your lil one have the skin issues till you saw the vet? Kahiki has had it since Sunday

Yoda mom

Staff member
If it is "seasonal allergies " like my boy had- ask if over the counter "Chlortabs" for $2.69 would help . my vet told me to go get at Walmart for my boys seasons allergies - of course she had to give me instructions and proper dosage for his weight - never give anything without first consulting with your vet

All paws crossed for the vet visit
Keep us updated
Head smooches

Laulau

Lairian
Same, during these 'outbreaks' my girl doesn't seem uncomfortable. Try not to let your vet suck you into buying lotions and potions. Who knows, could be stress?! I find the skin issues Oolie has experienced come and eventually go. From now on, I'll only consult my vet if they last a week or more, and of course, if she is uncomfortable. I do have an Antidermatosis Shampoo (with sulfur and salicylic acid) that i bath her with once a month.
Thank You! Very helpful...ya I don't even like the z/d ingredients but it seems to have worked for our 1 year old laulau but it does cause them to havr very loose stool, I read because it's very low in fiber so I gave them pumpkin and that seems to help