Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kamali gave me five more!

susi794

Staff member
Sorry I've been absent again....been kinda busy....

IMG_0755.JPG

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congratulations! Such precious little cuties with a gorgeous looking mommy. I'm very curious to see how the kittens will look in a few weeks and which colours they will get.

And this is the best reason to be absent on the lair:).

susi794

Staff member
My sister named these, as she helped me with the deliveries. Poor Kamali had a difficult time with baby number one...I had to assist. Thought the baby was stillborn, or at least close to dying...but I massaged it with paper towels, cleared its mouth, and then Kamali took over and licked and licked until the baby pinked up. It's doing fine now. My leg was causing me serious pain and I had just taken extra pain pills.....they totally dragged me right out. I was fighting to stay awake, but it was a losing battle. By the third birth, I was out like a light. Deb assisted Kamali with the others, one of which she had to help deliver. Kamali wanted us with her, and Deb helped make sure she was never alone.
Deb named them: Kapusta, Mukluk, Mayhem, Piglet and Red Bone. Right now I can't tell them apart, so I haven't bothered to try to sex them.
How exciting. Your girls have made you yet again made you proud. How are the newest arrivals thriving and what is the name theme on this kindle?

susi794

Staff member
Here is an explanation of the term "thermal":
4) Thermal genes. These genes are affected by color. The cold points (face mask, ears, tail paws) get color and the warm parts stay whiter. This is not as apparent in Sphynx as the fur is not there to keep it warm, so the differential is not as extreme as you would see on a hairy cat.

These kittens are usually born white or just have a light color and get darker as they age.

Pointed - This is the most restrictive of the thermal combinations. These cats will have blue eyes and 99 percent have red eye reflection. These are almost always born white and develop color later

Mink - This is the intermediate of the thermal combinations. This is a combination of one pointed gene and one sepia gene. Neither is dominant, so the color "meets in the middle". Usually these cats will have aqua or seafoam green eyes. I have seen DNA tested Minks that have yellow eyes however. Eye color does not determine "Mink".

Sepia - Least restrictive of the thermal series. These cats will have green or green/yellow or yellow eyes. Sphynx that are sepias are usually born with a hint of color that darkens as the cat ages. Sepia is also known as the "Burmese" gene. It is confusing, so many people think that sepia only comes in dark brown. It comes in ALL colors in the Sphynx.

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Here is an explanation of the term "thermal":
4) Thermal genes. These genes are affected by color. The cold points (face mask, ears, tail paws) get color and the warm parts stay whiter. This is not as apparent in Sphynx as the fur is not there to keep it warm, so the differential is not as extreme as you would see on a hairy cat.

These kittens are usually born white or just have a light color and get darker as they age.

Pointed - This is the most restrictive of the thermal combinations. These cats will have blue eyes and 99 percent have red eye reflection. These are almost always born white and develop color later

Mink - This is the intermediate of the thermal combinations. This is a combination of one pointed gene and one sepia gene. Neither is dominant, so the color "meets in the middle". Usually these cats will have aqua or seafoam green eyes. I have seen DNA tested Minks that have yellow eyes however. Eye color does not determine "Mink".

Sepia - Least restrictive of the thermal series. These cats will have green or green/yellow or yellow eyes. Sphynx that are sepias are usually born with a hint of color that darkens as the cat ages. Sepia is also known as the "Burmese" gene. It is confusing, so many people think that sepia only comes in dark brown. It comes in ALL colors in the Sphynx.

Great explanation! Color is so confusing!!! Interesting but confusing...

What combos do you think you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back