Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kat Von d..PETA article

Sarahrg72

Lairian
So I just read a article on PETA that kat von d is a horrible person because she choose to pay a breeder for a sphynx rather than adopt a homeless cat... Forget about kat Von d but to say a person is horrible because they choose to buy a sphynx from a breeder rather than adopt a homeless cat is wrong! My sphynx can't be compared to a regular cat. Not even talking about looks, his temperament alone is so amazing and far beyond any regular cat. He is like a family member who follows his house mates around all day and sleeps under the covers all night every night. After having him one week he began retrieving like a dog, he is so amazing. The breeder I got him from is so amazing and I just couldn't believe PETA would say such a thing!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I love when people assume that because you bought from a breeder, that you don't supportshelter animals. How are they to know that she doesn't financially contribute to homeless animals? I bought from a breeder twice... and we donate supplies and money to shelters and rescues

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hate PETA. They are too extreme for me. I got the same lecture from people in petsmart. I give time & money to homeless cats. I've got 4 rescue cats. Actually, it's no ones business what I do. There's nothing than can compare to a sphynx. I just ignore people like that. No one is going to tell me what cat to get, what car to drive or anything else.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Last year my husband and I walked into Petco to purchase food for my sphynx babies as well as dog food. There were cats and dogs there for adoption through some agency. As we walked in, you couldn't avoid looking at these cats and dogs to get to the merchandise. So as usual, I looked in each cage at the cats. One of the volunteers told me that I should adopt one. My husband told her that we have hairless cats and all the volunteers turned around to look at us and give us lectures on adopting, NOT to buy cats from breeders. I simply said that I have had shelter cats my entire life and I waited 18 years to get a hairless cat. I let them know that I was entitled to have what I waited 18 years for. They were speechless and literally had nothing else to say!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The only people that I really have to bite my tongue for are the ones who don't spay or neuter their pets... there was a local woman giving away free kittens. She didn't have the momma cat spayed, and nor was she going to, because she was an "indoor only cat". Nevermind the 5 unfixed kittens that she just gave away. Those are the people who PETA should be picking on - the ones that are too lazy or cheap to spay and neuter.

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The only people that I really have to bite my tongue for are the ones who don't spay or neuter their pets... there was a local woman giving away free kittens. She didn't have the momma cat spayed, and nor was she going to, because she was an "indoor only cat". Nevermind the 5 unfixed kittens that she just gave away. Those are the people who PETA should be picking on - the ones that are too lazy or cheap to spay and neuter.

Same here. What gets me is all the low cost spay/neuter programs and they don't use them. Our local program costs $15. They can't afford that, but they can play the lottery, smoke drink and whatever. The guy down the road shot a male dog because it kept getting their female outside dog pregnant. They smoke and drink like fishes, but won't get the dog spayed, I've even offered to pay for it because I hate seeing her have litter after litter, and knowing what they do with the pups. It's sickening. All my animals even the barn cat are fixed. They don't even get basic shots. It makes me sick.

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
my old Phonecase was a picture of my Cornish Rex and I went to Germany to visit my Family. I went with my sister and her family into the City and we sat at a Streetcafe and had Coffee and my phone was laying there, the people at the next table started starrying at me and the phone and pointing at me. I smiled and thought ohh they like my Baby ! So i picked up my phone and showed them the cover and said, "yep thats my baby!!!" They just looked shocked at me and thats when i realized they did not like my cat ! They shook their head at me! I just laughed at them.
He is a rescue.
People are so ignorant.

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Kat Von D makes pretty make up! And PETAs a bunch of hypocrite extremists. They shame rich people into giving up their fur coats, then donate the same "fur is murder" coats homeless people. If its murder for the rich, why does it suddenly become "charity" for the homeless?

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with what everyone said so I won't repeat it all. I waited 16 years to own a sphynx and they came into a family where there are currently rescues. Never mind all the rescues over the course of those 16 years I make no apologies like you and one of mine is a re-homed kitty. My oldest child is graduating college in May and my youngest will be heading off to school in a few short years we will be empty nesters. I think rescuing and spaying and neutering even still were doing our part and have done our part. Maybe we should have special shirts that say I donate I rescue I spay and neuter do you? Don't judge with a GIANT heart right on the back so everyone can read it.

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I haven't had the "pleasure" of being lectured yet but both my cats were rehomes both are fixed. I have adopted and rescued many cats and dogs in my life time as well as owning a few pure breads. I worked 3 1/2 years as a rescuer and rehabilitator at a rescue for horses, putting my life on the line every time I worked with those animals. So one day when someone tries to give me a speech I will give them an ear full before I tell them to kiss my backside!

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hear what you all are saying, but... I give money to PETA and feel that their heart is in the right place (especially regarding the horrible abuse and exploitation factory farm animals). However, I do not follow all their rules/suggestions. Some would say that I'm a hypocrite because I don't eat meat but at the same time I wear some leather. I am doing my bit, not everything but something to contribute to a better life for animals. Just because PETA takes an extreme position regarding companion animals doesn't mean that they aren't doing admirable work elsewhere. :)

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Just because you have a breed of a type of animal doesn't mean you bought it or not. We have had one of our standard poodles from rescue. Three out of five hairless cats from rescue and four out of five ferrets that we had were from rescue.
There are ethical ways to breed and farm animals.

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just couldn't believe PETA would say such a thing!

I can. PETA is an extremist organization bent on achieving its goals by way of making people feel bad. Just like religious groups saying "if you believe in X or Y or you don't do Z, you're going to hell!" PETA does not educate so much as spread guilt, blame, and inflammatory statements. They feel that violence and vandalism are effective methods of spreading their message. And they euthanize over 90% of the animals they receive within 24 hours of getting them, regardless of whether or not they are adoptable. In 2011 they euthanized over 99% of the animals in their care.

Franksmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I took Frank to Petco, their was a lady with 3 kids. She said why would you buy a cat when there are so many homeless and hungry ones out there. I turned around and asked if she adopted her kids. I know it was mean but I couldn't help myself.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I took Frank to Petco, their was a lady with 3 kids. She said why would you buy a cat when there are so many homeless and hungry ones out there. I turned around and asked if she adopted her kids. I know it was mean but I couldn't help myself.

This is just the BEST reply everrrr! You smart lady you!

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
PETA is....
...well, I'll just say that if you are for the ethical treatment of animals, there are many organizations that could use your money and time in a more efficient manner, and also in a manner that more closely conforms to a reasonable definition of 'ethical'.

As far as those who attempt to lecture me about having bought instead of rescued... I pointedly ask if they helped me earn my money, then follow up with 'why would they have any say in what I do with it?'

People trying to use guilt to influence how I spend my time or money frequently find themselves very unhappy with my response.
There are enough things wrong with the world that I could spend all my time and money, and still not help most of those issues, whilst leaving nothing at all for myself. I do my part, but there's no way I'll let someone judge me for not doing it the 'right' way

RandE

Lairian
I felt really guilty about buying my sphynx. I've only had rescues my entire life and I really believe in adopting over buying.... however.... The last cat I rescued from the humane society had terrible behavioral problems. She refused to use the litter box and would go all over my house- she was healthy, not stressed out, she was the reason we now have 7 litter boxes that are scooped daily, fresh litter was added every other day. It was insane and she would NOT go in her boxes. She would go on our clothes, the hard floor, the carpet, the sinks, the bathtub, dirt patches in the basement, the dog kennels, on top of her cat condos, there was no rhyme or reason to the pattern- poop and pee. She literally cost us thousands of dollars in damages to our home. She was a wonderful cat and I was very very attached to her but I could not keep her. No shelter or rescue would take her because of her problems they all said they would just put her down. Since we couldn't keep her and I refused to give her to someone just to have them put her down- alone, as another cat statistic, and have her body mass cremated or thrown away- I chose to be the one to do it. I wanted her to pass away in my arms knowing she was loved. I hugged her and told her how sorry I was. I still feel like a terrible human being for doing that- but we didn't have a choice. She was declawed before we got her so I couldn't ethically turn her loose- not that I would want to but that didn't even make it an option. After that I decided that I could NOT go through the heartache of getting another shelter kitty. Falling in love and growing attached to an animal just to have to do the unthinkable again was more than I could take. So I talked to a couple of people that had gotten their cats from breeders and no one said their cats ever had issues with the litter box. I had been wanting a sphynx for years and years and that was when I decided to go to a breeder and get my 'dream kitty.' I'm so happy I did. Jade was the best decision I ever made.

I really wish people like PETA would understand that sometimes there are REASONS people choose to buy a cat over adopting. Instead of making people like me feel like a heel for the choice I made (and am happy with).

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Some of the things PETA does are admirable, while some are crazy. What you do with your money is your own business.

I personally have never adopted a dog or cat. I have TRIED to adopt four English Bull Terriers four separate times. Each time I was told I was not capable of raising an English Bull Terrier with my English Bull Terrier. That they are "one person dogs" and that my baby Basil would kill the other dogs simply because of his breed. It wasn't PETA that turned me down, but a humane society that was willing to put them down because they were "dangerous."

Each of these bullies went back to the "home" they were "lost" from, was "put down", or went to a person who eventually had to give them back up. One of them the lady even said "Yeah I might come and pick him up next Thursday."

When I made the decision to get a Sphynx I looked into adoption. No adoption agency would let me have one without previous experience with the breed. (Which cracks me up because that's why I can't adopt a Bull Terrier.)

Deciding to buy my baby over adopting was not a hard choice. I support adoption agencies and even go to the shelter where I live once a month and donate food and spend some time with all the animals there. I still love shelter animals, but no-one should feel bad over the choices they make. Nigel will live a long happy life in my home. As I'm sure all of your babies and even Kat Von D's will. All you have to worry about is their happiness and your own.

Back