Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Keeping my baby warm this winter

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Quick question, just wondering what eveyone thinks. I had a heated kitty hut all picked out for my prince, when i stumbled upon a self warming thermal cat cushion?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I used those for newborn kittens before and it worked great.
The only problem was after we put it through the washing machine it stopped working.
That was 7.5 years ago.
I would try it and see how it works.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Ous always seem to find A warm enough spot we have radiators (or how ever you spell that) with covers on them and they sit up on them and love it. The heat in our house is on A timmer and comes on at about 5:30 the cats are cozy in our bed and as soon as they hear the heat they jump up and run downstairs to get on top of one!
I have only used A heating pad under A blanket when we have kittens and the only problem with that is they are all made so safe now that they shut off after 2 hours and I have to keep resetting it!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sophie has already found the heating ducts and sits directly in front of them when the heat comes on! I have a heating pad for her. I want to get one of those heated blankets though.

The self warming cushion- I think I read about those once. They take the cat's heat and sustain it to make the cushion stay warm somehow right? Sounds good and very energy efficient!

Fountainrunner

Lairian
Yeah, this is my biggest concern as we head into winter. He's my first cat and first hairless pet so I don't know how to tell if he's cold. I think I saw him shaking from coldness this afternoon but of course I have no idea if that's the case or not. If only he could talk and tell me - LOL. My plan is to purchase one of those furry pet rugs (made out of some wool like material ) they sell at Wal-Mart and line his cat condo with it because he spends most of his time inside there (hiding from the cold?). Right now, I just bundle him up completely in a large towel and let him sleep all day. You wouldn't even know I had a cat if you came to visit unless you asked why I had a towel bundled up in a ball on my sofa. :Dizzy: :Surprise:

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Quick question, just wondering what eveyone thinks. I had a heated kitty hut all picked out for my prince, when i stumbled upon a self warming thermal cat cushion?

We bought George a heated Kitty bed and he HATES it with a passion! He refuses to go in it. Lately he has just been snuggling under lots of blankies. I am also a bit worried about the winter weather. Since our new house was built in 1902(??) it has zero insulation. Until we put insulation in the house and new siding I am worried about him being cold.
How old is Maximus again? Has he ever had a heated anything? I just don't want you to spend money on something your kitty might not like...

Haji the Sphynx

Lairian
i live in an old house wit little insulation. my general rule of thumb: If i am cold, haji is cold. haji is really good about finding a burrow in a blanket or in his cat cave. and he certainly keeps me warm under the covers!

Xtreeem1

Lairian
We bought a new heated bed for Luna...but she is yet to use it on her own..luckily she emulates her human parents by putting her body under the blankets and sticking her head out for air (and probably noseiness as well).

georgehairlesson

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i live in an old house wit little insulation. my general rule of thumb: If i am cold, haji is cold. haji is really good about finding a burrow in a blanket or in his cat cave. and he certainly keeps me warm under the covers!

I'm always warm though so I'm a bad example for "if I'm cold, then my cat is cold".

susi794

Staff member
:Woo: I use heated throws that I bought at WalMart three years ago and they have never been unplugged other than to wash them. My cats ADORE them! I put a blanket on top of the heated throw for kittens, but my adults burrow under the blankets to get to the warmer part.
Never have had a problem.:Smile:

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
georgehairlesson
How old is Maximus again? Has he ever had a heated anything? I just don't want you to spend money on something your kitty might not like...

My baby is 7 1/2 months old and this is his first winter. The self warming pad is $20 verses the heated bed which is like $50. So I think I'm going to try out the self warming throw first and see how he does with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ja&roo

Lairian
This is Roo and Doolies first winter too.....and Maine! Yikes! We've been leaving lots of fuzzy soft blankies in their favorite places and they burrow under and snuggle together.
I also have a heating pad with a bunch of blankies, but as ilovemysphynx says it turns off after 2 hrs...frustrating.
I think I'll steal the idea of the self heating thing, they'll probably love it!

If u get something that doesn't work out, u could always return or exchange it:)

ja&roo

Lairian
Roo also loves to ride around the house in my sweatshirt while I'm wearing it, with his cute little head poked out LOL! He watches everything I'm doing and somethimes sticks a paw out to help:)

Suzie&Cats

Lairian
This is one thing I've thought and worried about. Right now my furry cats climb in their beds during the day and are only really active in the morning. Right now I live at home so I dont have a choice about the heating but that'll change when I move out :Smile:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Walmart has some really lovely dog sweaters in at the moment for $5 each, nice thick ones in all sizes. I'm going up later to stock up on them :ThumbsUp:

Our house is usually quite warm so no issues really but will definately look at the self heating pads as the ones we have need resetting every hour or so.

Our bald babies always sleep with our coated babies and use them as fur blankets :LOL:

lexin77

Lairian
I bought one of those $50 pet heating pads from PetCo. In my opinion a complete waste. I had it out for a few days and it never seemed to get warm. Ripley never went near it so I finally returned it. Yesterday I plugged in the heating pad I had and put a blanket over it. Ripley LOVES it! The only problem is it auto shuts off so I have to keep turning it on.
She won't wear sweaters so that is a moot point. I have come to the conclusion if she is cold she will find a place to keep warm! Under the blankets, under the pillows, or in the shower after I just took a hot one!

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
As we speak I have kreacher bundled up in a towel that I threw in the dryer for 15 minutes :)

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
As we speak I have kreacher bundled up in a towel that I threw in the dryer for 15 minutes :)

Mine love the dryer, if I don't keep a cat bed on there they leave a little grease mark all over the top. I have to check it every time I use it and check it before I close it, just in case ones climbed inside.:Dizzy:

susi794

Staff member
I keep telling everyone about the heated throws from WalMart. 50'x 60"--I fold it over into fourths. I have used them for two years and have rarely shut them off. They don't turn off by themselves, they have three temp settings and my cats adore them--sleep on them year round. I just bought 7 of them at the Black Friday sale at WalMart for $18.00 a piece. Normally $29.95 each. They are just the ticket for keeping warm. I put them in their beds and sometimes just folded over on the couch or the floor. All seven of mine will climb in. Take a look:

I just put fleece blankets on top in an attempt to keep them cleaner, although they are machine washable. They might still have some at WalMart for their Saturday sales.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I keep telling everyone about the heated throws from WalMart. 50'x 60"--I fold it over into fourths. I have used them for two years and have rarely shut them off. They don't turn off by themselves, they have three temp settings and my cats adore them--sleep on them year round. I just bought 7 of them at the Black Friday sale at WalMart for $18.00 a piece. Normally $29.95 each. They are just the ticket for keeping warm. I put them in their beds and sometimes just folded over on the couch or the floor. All seven of mine will climb in. Take a look:

Is there room for me!? I want to jump in right in the middle :Laugh:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

susi794

Staff member
They are by Sunbeam and they are called "Fleece Warming Throws". They were on an endcap, but in the neighborhood of the sheets and bedding, etc.

susi794

Staff member
Back