Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Keeping sphynx warm in the winter

MindyFL

Lairian
Hi,

We live in Fl and our sphynx loves the warmth of the summer and sits outside (in a pool enclosure) all day in the shade.

We have noticed that she seems to become truly miserable and lethargic in the winter - almost like seasonal affective disorder in humans.

Has anyone else had this problem and any suggestions - should we get a natural spectrum lamp and possibly some sort of safe heating pad?

Thanks

Stuart

admin

Administrator
Staff member
The Sphynx will generally find his/her favorite "warm" spots in the house. It's usually under a blanket, (Leo somehow finds his way under our comforter without disturbing the made bed! All you come to find is a small "lump" in the middle of the bed!) Or a laptop, coffee maker, candles, TV receiver , etc. If you look at my avatar to the left, you will see him perched on our Direct TV receiver. Anything that has a bit of warmth to it guarantees the Sphynx utilizing it for a heat source!:LOL:

ktate88

Banned
This will be my first (Florida) winter with Niles. I took him to the park across the street the other day and he did great snuggled under the sheet. It was ~55 and a breeze.

Maybe try a covered bed with a blanket/towel in in. Also there are great things called SnuggleSafes. After you heat them in the microwave they can stay warm up to 8 hours. Just put a cover on them so the cats dont burn themselves.

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I live in Panama City, and with the cold (for us) temps being in the low 50's the past few night, piggy gets a sweater, and then still normally is under my blankets in the bed whenI get home from work.

holly_savage

Banned
Well I can't really be all that sympathetic with your Florida winters...up here weeks will go by that it doesn't get above freezing temps, but the cats adapt just fine. We have a couple of heated beds, lots of blankies around and the furnace set at 70 degrees for the winter months. I'm sure a nice sunny window could do the trick. But you could try the natural spectrum light. They sell them for fluorescent ballasts too, I have them in my office.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My sphynx like to huddle up together in the winter and they have blankets they can go in and snuggle sacs.
We also keep the house between 70 and 72 in the winter.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sphynx are heat seeking critters and adapt well to changes in temperature. My Sphynx have never had a problem with Maine winters. I keep my thermostat set to 71 during the day and leave fleece blankies around the house. When we go out I warm up the car and put a towel from the dryer in the carrier. If the temps are brutal, I drape the carrier with another towel to block drafts and make them wear sweaters.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Sorry but...I dont feel sorry for anyone with a Florida winter either. lol I currently live in Ohio and it gets pretty brutal here. Weeks and weeks of 4 degree weather. (Im from NC so yes,,it gets bad for me.) We keep our thermostat at 68 degrees and we also keep a electric heater in the livingroom during the winter months. We also have tons of fleecies for the kitties to cuddle in and they are almost always in my lap anyhow. In the winter I keep rugs down on the areas they walk in the kitchen so they don't get chilly feet while they are eating. They also have a heated bed to retreat too if ever needed.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We live in michigan and our winters are COLD! i keep my heat roughly 72(ish) and if it's too chilly i turn the space heater on... but generally, they prefer the bed under the blankets... we usually make "tents" for them with throw blankets over our couch. They really like the fleece blankets.
I saw something similar to this at petsmart... but it wasn't this expensive, so it must be a different brand or something. the one was like $69. it's a heated bed.
K&H Pet Products All Season Snuggly Sleeper Bed - Beds - Dog - PetSmart

The heating pad is also not a bad idea... but like Admin said.. they'll find the heat, they always do. I usually make a little bed on top of my dryer as well. my kitties LOVE laying on the dryer.

braverducky

Lairian
Pfft florida haha. I`m from northern ontario. The winters here are frigid at a ridiculous -45 to -50 celcius. We plastic up all the windows, keep the house around 72 and have lots of soft and very warm blankets, that we can all curl up together in, laying around.
I keep a room in my house at 79-80 degrees as the rest of my pets need to keep warm, and sometimes Pander is allowed in to hang out.

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
YIKES -50. The coldest it gets here in Texas is 18 degrees. I have heating pads that I keep plugged in. They do sleep a lot in the winter months.

JacksMom

Banned
I am very warm natured...or is it cold? I get nauseated (literally) with central heat running, so I keep my house on the cool side. Jack doesn't mind sweatshirts or t-shirts, so in the winter, I plan to keep sweaters on him and of course, he has his nice warm comfy soft plush blankets, BUT I did order him a Snuggle Safe (Ktate's suggestion). Never heard of them, but I looked them up and WOW, great idea and lots of good reviews on them. You can find them on Amazon, healthypets.com (where I got mine with other stuff, such as toothpaste, vitamins, L-lysine...all added up to free shipping!)

Anywho, you just put them in the microwave for 6 minutes and they stay warm for up to 8 or 12 hours (can't remember). So you can place under their blanket for them to lay on, or up against, whatever. I felt safer with that idea rather than a heating pad being on while I am not home during the day.

ktate88

Banned
I am very warm natured...or is it cold? I get nauseated (literally) with central heat running, so I keep my house on the cool side. Jack doesn't mind sweatshirts or t-shirts, so in the winter, I plan to keep sweaters on him and of course, he has his nice warm comfy soft plush blankets, BUT I did order him a Snuggle Safe (Ktate's suggestion). Never heard of them, but I looked them up and WOW, great idea and lots of good reviews on them. You can find them on Amazon, healthypets.com (where I got mine with other stuff, such as toothpaste, vitamins, L-lysine...all added up to free shipping!)

Anywho, you just put them in the microwave for 6 minutes and they stay warm for up to 8 or 12 hours (can't remember). So you can place under their blanket for them to lay on, or up against, whatever. I felt safer with that idea rather than a heating pad being on while I am not home during the day.

Oh I'm glad you found them! We use them at work with recovering surgery patients. We used to use them in the winter with our 18 year old clinic calico. She loooooved them.

I need to order one for Niles

JacksMom

Banned
Oh I'm glad you found them! We use them at work with recovering surgery patients. We used to use them in the winter with our 18 year old clinic calico. She loooooved them.

I need to order one for Niles

Yes! I am so glad you suggested it. What a fabulous idea! Thanks, girl!

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
HAH! i was about to say where in florida do you live that it was 55 then i remembered it dipped down to that a few days ago for just a few hours at night. Nothing crazy.

I was born and raised in Jacksonville so its rare we get a winter that is bone chilling as last winter.

Im with everyone else. your spoiled (lol) florida naked kitties are fine on a cable box, laptop, or southern facing window. And see if you can squeeze em into a sweater for a cold run around the pool enclosure to lift his winter spirits!

tessblack

Banned
Pfft florida haha. I`m from northern ontario. The winters here are frigid at a ridiculous -45 to -50 celcius. We plastic up all the windows, keep the house around 72 and have lots of soft and very warm blankets, that we can all curl up together in, laying around.
I keep a room in my house at 79-80 degrees as the rest of my pets need to keep warm, and sometimes Pander is allowed in to hang out.

Oh I remember Sudbury, was there once, very cold and a very large nickel! I was born in Toronto but now live in Texas and must say I do not miss the winter at all. Keep warm!

ktate88

Banned
HAH! i was about to say where in florida do you live that it was 55 then i remembered it dipped down to that a few days ago for just a few hours at night. Nothing crazy.

I was born and raised in Jacksonville so its rare we get a winter that is bone chilling as last winter.

Im with everyone else. your spoiled (lol) florida naked kitties are fine on a cable box, laptop, or southern facing window. And see if you can squeeze em into a sweater for a cold run around the pool enclosure to lift his winter spirits!

We were in the low 40s 2 or 3 nights last week in Tally! I loved it :Laugh:

braverducky

Lairian
I lived in Sudbury untill recently.. only redeeming quality was the big nickel. haha I like further north now in kapuskasing.
I use the snuggle safe discs for my hedgehog and for travelling with all the pets. They are AMAZING. They "live" a long time too. I've been using the same ones for almost 3 years and not had a single problem with them :ThumbsUp:

holly_savage

Banned
I lived in Sudbury untill recently.. only redeeming quality was the big nickel. haha I like further north now in kapuskasing.
I use the snuggle safe discs for my hedgehog and for travelling with all the pets. They are AMAZING. They "live" a long time too. I've been using the same ones for almost 3 years and not had a single problem with them :ThumbsUp:

Sudbury! Yay...I lived n Dowling and went to scool in Levack. Grew up in Timmins originally...that's not too far from Kap! Hey I think we have emailed before...you have Boozhoo right?

Gizzymom

Banned
YIKES -50. The coldest it gets here in Texas is 18 degrees. I have heating pads that I keep plugged in. They do sleep a lot in the winter months.

Just curious, Candys... do you use the pet type heating pads or just regular ones. I was debating awhile ago which one to get (cuz the pet ones are so much more expensive), but then I read a story of a woman who kept a heating pad plugged in for her sphynx kitten... but regular heating pads are hotter than pet ones. He had gotten used to the heat and was unable to tell it was too hot. His temp rose to the point of where he had a seizure and died.

Needless to say, I spent the extra money for the pet one. So just be careful if you are using a regular one... Would never want to see something bad happen to your little one...:Surprise:

holly_savage

Banned
The pet ones are regulated to only go to 100-101 degrees F...which is typicat pet body temp.

The 'human' heating pads do go much higher and can be dangerous...I have one before, but it was on low for about 20 minutes then off. I would never leave one on unattended for the cats.

And for any out there not familiar with the Canadian Celsius scale...-30 C is equalled to -22 degrees F!

No matter what the number say it is Freakin cold!

tessblack

Banned

Sorry to hear the nickel was the best thing. I am going to order a couple for the babies. Thanks for the review.

pascale

Lairian
i m from montreal and in the most colder day of the winter its -25 F.

verrry cold...but my sphynx are inside with me and never outside.

my sphynx wear cloth that my mother make for them. ( she s a great designer for dog since many years ago...and now for cats too:),

so my cats have a lot of nice things to keep them hot for the winter.