Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Back to needing a new kibble, all because of the vet suggested food.
So, Astrid has lost the weight she had to use, so the vet (different than the one I normally see, this one is the cat-specific one) suggested I feed a Science Diet dental care t/d along with the RC calorie control... I told her I don't want jaws on these foods because I would rather she eat something not primarily made of filler. I raised the issue of cats getting sick from it and what not and just not being into feeding my baby filler. They said this is what they feed their cats and they do great. So because I am obviously not a vet, I said sure, why not. I haven't found another food for her to eat yet. Plus I was the getting the "what do you know you're 19 years old" eyes, "of course you believe what you see online".
So the diet is 50/50 ratio, which I built up to. WELL on the first night of 50/50 Astrid was SO sick. I cannot count how many times I cleaned regurgitated food and vomit off of my floor and my bed, she was puking every 2 hours for two days. Needless to say, I am not happy because I should have listened to my gut.
But after all of this, she now can't/won't eat her original kibble. Jaws-eats-all-in-sight has been eating half the pieces of kibble and leaving the rest. The SD kibble was HUGE. Easily the size of a thumbnail. So I think that hurt her mouth. She did not look comfortable eating now that I think of it. But a couple pieces here and there must not have had any effect.
This may be TMI but when she puked the Science Diet came back up SO expanded, easily 3 times of what she consumed. So no wonder it came back up!!! there was no room in her poor belly!!!!!

Thankfully, all is well and she is on the mend today. She is now only eating her Stella and Chewy wet food which is good. Now hopefully it stays down!
Still have to go in to see the vet, and return the food. No way is she EVER eating that again. I do not care if it was a fluke lol it's not happening.

SOOOO with that being said, I need a grain inclusive kibble for my little monster. Grain inclusive just works better for her, so don't need the "Cats don't need grain". My cat does XD unless I want to deal with loose poop and stink!

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bonus picture of jaws! Lol
IMG_4343.JPG

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Maddie ,((hugs))) n head smooches to jaws :)
I had the same convo with my vet about food
I called SD amd asked what is their "magic "ingredient in their vet office sold food that is Sooo expemsive amd I questioned ingredients

I was told it was the "combination of ingredients" amd left it at that amd went to search on my own for food for my puker kitty .. My other kitty refused to eat the vet sold food .

I feed what works amd actually feed grain inclusive Nutriosurce Cat amd kitten in the blue bag to my crew with good results and no recalls
Amd waaaaay less pukimg .

Macie did eat Fromm Gamebird recipe
FROMM Four Star Ultra Premium Grain Free Cat Food Game Bird for All Ages
but recemtly snuck the Nutrisource amd is holding it down great
Not sure of its avail in your area - it is grain inclusive - I buy it online(not sold in stores here)

Mime are actually doing better on grain inclusive Nutrisource than the Acana grasslands they were fed.
Lots of grain free foods see, like they are trading carb ingredients for a bunch of pea splitting amd starches.
I haven't seen any long research on all this pea splitting amd starches .
My vet saod so many people started eating a certain healthy way amd jumped on the grain free wagon for pets .

I found this one link so probably can price shop
Nutri Source Chicken Meal, Salmon and Liver Cat and Kitten Food for All Ages

Fwiw ,mine are less greasy skin with Nutrisource
Amd no poo issues x5
Now it's just feed n go :)

Last edited:

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well Astrid decided she is only eating the new food and won't touch the calorie control so that was a hard switch lol but didn't upset her stomach!!! Yay lol

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I also feed Fromm to my crew and love it. Agnes gets the chicken a la veg. She loves it! I would like to try another type like the game bird recipe but figure if she likes this one then why change? I do however feed a different type of wet food. (for some reason Fromm wet doesn't match the dry options) She gets Nulo Freestyle duck and tuna or salmon and trout varieties. I do occasionally give her the Fromm canned turkey pate. (she gets bored of the same canned food go figure)

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry your going through all this stress. I feed raw so I can't really recommend a dry food but it sounds like there's been some mentioned? Was the new dry food introduced over time by mixing in with her old food? If not that could've caused the digestive upset. Also I know that t/d kibble is designed to be extra large because the idea is that the cats will have to chew it a lot to eat it and that, with certain ingredients, can help with dental health. Though over all I don't personally buy into the idea of a cure all via rx food. I hope shes able to get better and eating well again soon!

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It was. But not as well as it could have been because the pieces are gigantic. so it started with being one piece, then three then so forth. So definitely not the perfect mix considering she one gets 1/3 to 1/2 cup a day. Those pieces would have starved her since nothing fits into a measuring cup: so much airspace.
New food is bugging her a bit but thats because she is refusing to eat her old calorie control food so there has been no mixing of food, so i am giving it a bit before i decide if its the food or the switch

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It was. But not as well as it could have been because the pieces are gigantic. so it started with being one piece, then three then so forth. So definitely not the perfect mix considering she one gets 1/3 to 1/2 cup a day. Those pieces would have starved her since nothing fits into a measuring cup: so much airspace.
New food is bugging her a bit but thats because she is refusing to eat her old calorie control food so there has been no mixing of food, so i am giving it a bit before i decide if its the food or the switch
If your looking for a low cal food I know natural balance has the fat cat food which is supposed to be very low cal. Ive never used it on my cats but did feed it to my dog for a while. I did see a difference.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Mal, et all be sure to check out the new Natural balance forumulas / ingredients

It is my understanding there are some changes

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Mal I havn't apparently they sell it where I am but I have never seen it in the stores they apparently sell it at.

Most food I can get in Nutrience, Rawz, RC, Science Diet, Acana, PAWS(I think or its GO! of something like that) Then the grocery store "Food"

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Is there a Global Pet Foods in your area at all? I think they sell it, Or even a Petland? I believe they stock it.

We have our boys on the Royal Canin Sphynx kibble but for wet food they only get the Natural Balance because of the good natural ingredients. They quite enjoy the Green Pea and Duck kind.
I have tried to slowly switch out there kibble to the Natural Balance but I dont think the boys like the shape of it so for now I am stuck with the RC Sphynx but havent really had any issues but I do eventually want to switch as I know how good Natural Balance is both for the cats health and my wallet haha!

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh I have been there!
And I have family in Comox and Victoria!

Lucky Astrid getting to breath in the fresh mountain/ocean air!!!! The boys would be jealous as we reside in Edmonton and they have yet to see mountains, unless you consider the hill across the street from us, a mountain haha.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My home home is in hinton in Alberta lol just before Jasper. So she goes there too. We fly into Edmonton :) I've lived there too. Edmonton is nice though

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh I have been to Hinton lots!

What do you come to Edmonton for? Maybe some day we can have a play date!

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
of the foods you said you could get, I know Acana is a very good brand it is made by the same people that make Orijen. They also have Limited ingredient diets available as well.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Trying this: Astrid stopped eating the Raws one , which is weird. Sbd she's looking at me as if to say "you're feeding me this crap again?!"
She originally ate orijen when I got her, the cat and kitten one but gave her nasty poop so thinking a different flavour might help. But since then I stopped free feeding and that fixed the runny poop issue. Guts just eats too much if oft to her own devises

Attachments

• IMG_4587.JPG
    IMG_4587.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 15
Back