Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kicks for Kats People

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

The photo is of Julie wearing her new custom-painted converse hightops with a portrait of Cleo in permanent fabric paints. Below is the photoshop mockup the painting was based on:

The shoes cost about 40-50 dollars at the Converse outlet but any brand will do as long as it fits you. The painting runs from $100 to $200 dollars depending on how detailed you want it. Julie's shoes would be $160 including the shoes.

You can send us a pair you purchased or give us your size along with a deposit for their cost. Whatever works. Multiple cats on shoes are given a discount. I work from good photos and always send a mockup via email prior to painting.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I gotta have some! How wide do the converses come in?

After some research, it appears that Converses come in only a men's medium size. But, Bob can paint on any canvas or leather shoe--even stiletto heels. :Laugh: So Susi, what I would recommend is that you find a shoe that is comfortable for you. Then if we can get it here, in Las Vegas, which is a huge shopping area, we can buy them and paint them. Or you buy them where you are and ship them to us. (And if a kitten jumps into the box for the ride, that's okay too:Wink2:). If they are low-top, the art will still work.

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
:Adore: OH MY GAH!! I adore it!! I am going to have to send a request from Paris! They are to die for (love that pic of Miss Cleo, stunning!!)

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
:Adore: OH MY GAH!! I adore it!! I am going to have to send a request from Paris! They are to die for (love that pic of Miss Cleo, stunning!!)

We would love it! We would need to talk--just send a pm. You can start a new Parisian fad...I can see it now. Art Of The Sphynx featured on all the runways of Paris Fashion Week... With Graddy's face everywhere...Dani and Julie ducking paparazzi as we go from interview to interview....:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sphynx Happy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm just curious Bob but do you put a coating on these to protect your artwork from normal wear and tear?

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm just curious Bob but do you put a coating on these to protect your artwork from normal wear and tear?

What I do is use textile paints made to bind with the weave of the fabric. The colors contain a flexible matrix that when heat-set becomes permanent enough to go through the wash. Some advocate adding a clear coat, but all that does is turn what is flexible into a stiffened material, and it eventually begins to flake. My way is better and more permanent.

cleozmama

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
What I do is use textile paints made to bind with the weave of the fabric. The colors contain a flexible matrix that when heat-set becomes permanent enough to go through the wash. Some advocate adding a clear coat, but all that does is turn what is flexible into a stiffened material, and it eventually begins to flake. My way is better and more permanent.

Just saw this not-so-new post & thought I'd chime in...I've done lots of rubber stamping and a bit of painting on fabrics. I've always used Liquitex acrylics instead of fabric paints because they come in so many colors and NEVER fade or wash out even after hundreds of washings (even with bleach). Oh, and no heat setting required. Since Bob is an artist, I'm sure he already knows this, but I just had to add my 2¢ worth, take it or leave it.

Cleozmama

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Just saw this not-so-new post & thought I'd chime in...I've done lots of rubber stamping and a bit of painting on fabrics. I've always used Liquitex acrylics instead of fabric paints because they come in so many colors and NEVER fade or wash out even after hundreds of washings (even with bleach). Oh, and no heat setting required. Since Bob is an artist, I'm sure he already knows this, but I just had to add my 2¢ worth, take it or leave it.

Cleozmama

Yes, I am aware of using acrylics (I prefer Windsor myself), and yes they do require far less custom mixing of colors. I went with the fabric paints because the kimono I painted for Julie 30 years ago is still vibrant. For those of you wanting to check out painting your own, Liquitex will do very nicely for a considerably lowered cost, and they last.

Back