Kirkland Cat Food | Sphynxlair

Kirkland Cat Food

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by Luvmysphynx, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Luvmysphynx

LuvmysphynxSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $292.00
    Ratings:
    +62
    Any thoughts on this food? I've had several local Sphynx people I've talked to say they really like it and their cats do well on it, right now I'm feeding Wellness, but it seems a bit rich for Haley, she hasn't had the best stools on it, so I'm looking at switching and trying something else. Here's a picture I found that shows the ingredients.
    [​IMG]

2. PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +286
    Here's what I found on the internet (I couldn't read the label?).

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, ground white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, potassium chloride, salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, methionine, choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrocholoride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I'm not a big fan of rice in foods, especially cat food but it could be worse (corn). I am also not a big fan of salt, I've mentioned how damning it can be on organs (especially the heart and kidneys). I'd give it a 7/10. It doesn't look bad at all.

ETA: I'd give it a better rating if it had fruits and veggies and probiotics. Wellness is technically a higher grade food because of its ingredients. Here's the ingredient list for Wellness:

Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Potatoes, Salmon Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor. Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Tomato Pomace, Cranberries, Chicory Root Extract, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Rosemary Extract.

You may see benefits from the change, or not. If I had any recommendation, I'd avoid fish. That can often be a leading cause of a diet not working for cats, some are sensitive to fish--even though lots of foods include it in their ingredient list and it's a good source of protein.

3. Luvmysphynx

Sphynx Bucks:
    $292.00
    Ratings:
    +62
    I agree Wellness is a better food, I just think it's to rich for Haley!!! Thanks for your review on Kirkland, I think I'll try it and see if it agrees with Haley better while I try to find a good middle ground between that and Wellness.

4. PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +286
    Make sure to mix as you go on the switch so she doesn't have any vomiting or diarrhea. No body likes that.

Let us know how she does!

5. Luvmysphynx

Sphynx Bucks:
    $292.00
    Ratings:
    +62
    For sure!! I'll be sure to transition her slowly, or, as we talked in her e-mail, try again getting her and Oogie on raw and forget the cat food all together!

6. PitBullLove

PitBullLoveLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $3.00
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried the Kirkland for my dogs and I just found I had to feed them WAY more of it for them to maintain a healthy weight. I haven't tried thE cat food though. I hear ya on the Wellness. My dog Tank gets EXPLOSIVE diarriah on it! lol