Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten biting on tail

Linrah

Lairian
My 5 month old sphynx is biting her tail to the point of leaving marks and scratches on it. She did have a skin problem a month back that has now cleared up... But her tail is red in spots. Not sure if because she's biting it or bumps are causing her to bite at it.

On another topic, anyone know a good bandage or wrap that I could use on her tail to keep her from biting it and let it heal.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Linrah There was a member recently with the same issue...I tried to search but did not find it. Wrapping the tail is very difficult ...did you think about a cone? They work wonders!

Patti

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think someone was putting something bitter tasting on the tail. I think this is pretty common for teething babies, the tail being a good size with the right amount of resistance for gnawing. Eudo chewed on his tail quite a bit (along with chewing on my fingers), though we were lucky that he never really broke the skin or irritated it. When I could I would pull his tail away and hold a rubber worm thing to his mouth. He would usually continue chewing but on the worm instead.

Eudo is 9 months now, and I think he's outgrowing it. I saw him chewing on the tail a few days ago but it had been a while....

This might be just a growing stage. I would try the topical bitter stuff. Search the forums for "tail chewing." I just did and a few threads came up.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Our Alfie had really bad problems with his tail when we first got him. It was covered in sores especially around the boney parts.

We did our best to distract him whenever we caught him chewing, and we used a lick-safe - but yucky tasting im sure - antibiotic spray (vetericyn hydrogel) on the tail to help with the sores, when the sores cleared up, he seemed to stop biting on it. I think the scabs/sores must have been bothering him.

From the sores his tail is still a little discolored unfortunately but it is just scarring.

Back