Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten Cold

for_serious

Lairian
Keano has had a cold since I got him. He was on clavamox (sp?) for a week and didn't get better. I took him to the vet on Saturday and he got a vaccine of Convenia which is an antibiotic that should be good for two weeks. I've done some research on the drug and everyone seems to be saying it's for skin abrasions, not respiratory infections. Why would the vet suggest this then? He's sneezing like crazy, has a stuffy nose and goopy eyes. I've had him for 20 days and he still has this cold. Should I be worried?

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am no expert, but I would go to a different vet for a second opinion. My cat recently had an upper respiratory infection and was on antibiotics, antihistamine and eye drops, she was markedly better in about 3 days.

Pbinky

Banned
Sounds like your kitty has a URI. He probably needs to be on tetracycline and some eye cream / drops.... he probably is developing conjunctivitis. He needs to be treated ASAP so it doesn't get any worse. Call your vet or find a new one.... poor little guy.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I would go to another vet.
My cats got sick also and clavamox did not help.
That shot your cat got never helped any of my cats.
I suggest you ask about Baytril and Doxycycline.
They are the only 2 antibiotics that worked when I had a house full of sick cats a few months ago.

for_serious

Lairian

I would go to another vet.
My cats got sick also and clavamox did not help.
That shot your cat got never helped any of my cats.
I suggest you ask about Baytril and Doxycycline.
They are the only 2 antibiotics that worked when I had a house full of sick cats a few months ago.

Is it safe for get him going on another antibiotic when this one is in his system for 2 weeks?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Yea it is safe.
Is the clavamox finished?
If it is then it is fine to start another antibiotic.
You can try L-lysine also but ask the vet first.
We did that with my cats.
My Coco had been on Baytril for over a year because she gets bladder infections if she is not on a antibiotic.
She got a bad URI from my show cats so the vet put her on Doxycycline and it worked great.
I would stop the clavamox then use another antibiotic.
Does the breeder now the kitten is sick?

holly_savage

Banned
I went through the same thing...the injection first, then Clavamox and the last one is the tetyracyline (sp?)...so far so good.

And she did have some conjunctavitus in her eyes as well.

I don't know that you need to change your vet yet...if you've only had the cat for 20 days it's not even enough time for all those antibiotics to work their way.

Have patience and talk to your vet...

GioThermal

Lairian
Nyiah had a cold also when I brought her home. She was sneezing bad (green crap flying everywhere). I gave her a bath and the breeder provided me with Clavamox and Revolution. I put the Revolution on her after her bath and have been giving her the Clavamox once in the AM and once in the PM. She seems to be doing a little better. Just wait it out. Within a couple of days I have seen a slight improvement (less sneezing and drooling- because she couldn't breathe through her nose). She wasn't eating as much either but I think thats from the combo of a new atmosphere and not being able to smell the food. She poo'd last night so that's a bonus! :LOL:
Just give her lots-o-love and make sure she's still eating, poo'ing and drinking lots of water. Make sure she isn't dehydrated by pulling the skin behind her shoulder blades up and making sure it drops down and smoothes out quickly.
:ThumbsUp:

susi794

Staff member
This sounds like feline herpes virus to me....if so, you need to try doxycycline and you need to be giving him Lysine. You most likely don't need eye drops if you treat the herpes. I have tried clavamox, lincocin, amoxycillin, azithromycin, baytril, gentamycin, and doxycycline--to no avail. I have recently changed the dosage of doxy, and elongated the treatment time--mine appear to be finally getting over the hump. At least I pray that it isn't just a temporary fix again. We are about half way through our treatment this time. and no vomiting or gagging or sneezing for about a day and a half...so am praying it'll really stop now. At least there is hope.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We used the Covenia over here on Stella when she was dealing with her skin-fold dermatitis. It did not work. The Clavamox worked on our Izzy when she was having a UTI, though. I hope the vet can figure out something good for him. Hope he gets to feeling better real soon. Poor baby!

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I empathize with you. All 4 of mine have been on Clavamox with poor results. They are all starting on Doxy which I have had good results with before. Good Luck!

for_serious

Lairian
This sounds like feline herpes virus to me....if so, you need to try doxycycline and you need to be giving him Lysine. You most likely don't need eye drops if you treat the herpes. I have tried clavamox, lincocin, amoxycillin, azithromycin, baytril, gentamycin, and doxycycline--to no avail. I have recently changed the dosage of doxy, and elongated the treatment time--mine appear to be finally getting over the hump. At least I pray that it isn't just a temporary fix again. We are about half way through our treatment this time. and no vomiting or gagging or sneezing for about a day and a half...so am praying it'll really stop now. At least there is hope.

should i ask the vet to take a culture or something? poor guy is wheezing when he sleeps :ThumbsDown:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I would have the vet test for herpes and also start giving lysine it can't hurt.
this baby should not be sick at this young of age. No one should send a sick baby to its forever home.

Treasurecat

Banned

I agree with suzi794. I would be treating aggressively with doxy and whatever eye drops may be appropriate. ALL of my cats have herpes to one degree or another. all had 6-8 weeks worth of abs at anywhere from 6 to 14 week old kittens, Two of them had to have treatment to save their eye.
I say treat aggressively so you can eliminate the active virus as soon as possible. It takes a toll on them. As younger cats they seemed to cycle about every 3-4 months with sniffles and lower activity then bounce back, usually without abs. This happened for a couple of years. Now no one seems bothered by it except for Lula's sinusitis and whatever is wrong with poor Isobel.
I don't want to scare you but with viruses like this the secondary infections can kill . Also sometimes the vets can be dismissive when it comes to the possible
severity. Almost like they're insulted you may know something and have suggestions (and that was a cat-only vet who should have known better)
I wish you luck and healing thoughts for your baby.

for_serious

Lairian
I spoke with the breeder, she says that we probably didn't treat him with enough clavamox to begin with. She also said just to make note if things get worse, such as yellow discharge from the nose or eyes.

The vet tech called back yesterday and said that the infection is most likely viral and we have to wait it out. She said as long as he is still eating and drinking alright, then not to worry too much. Thankfully, he is doing a lot better today. He only sneezed a couple times compared to like 40 times a day. Hopefully were over the hump! For next time though, I think I'll go with a more aggressive approach, thanks guys.

susi794

Staff member
Am extremely concerned over this kitten--the secondary infections associated with the viruses can and do kill--and in kittens it can be extremely quick. Wheezing while sleeping sounds like possible pneumonia to me. Is the kit any better yet?

for_serious

Lairian
Am extremely concerned over this kitten--the secondary infections associated with the viruses can and do kill--and in kittens it can be extremely quick. Wheezing while sleeping sounds like possible pneumonia to me. Is the kit any better yet?

He's feeling a little better, yeah. Less goopy eyes and he's not wheezing as bad. He's not lethargic and he's eating pretty well.

Back