Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten constantly needing attention/too clingy

ChicagoCatMom

Lairian
So I have a 2 month old sphynx and so far I've had him three weeks. Whenever I try to work on my computer/do basically anything, he will be aggressively clawing at me (in a playful way) to play with him/give him attention & will keep meowing until I do. It's really hard because I can't even go to the bathroom for two minutes without him crying SO loud outside the door. His cries sound as if he is being hurt/in pain.

I live in a studio so there's really no way for me to get away from him so that I can focus. I feel like I have no real alone time. The only time he's quiet is when he is sleeping.

Should I get a cage/gate? Will he eventually be less hyperactive/vocal as he grows up? How do people get work done with a sphynx kitten around? How do you have any alone time?

I just wish that he would give me space when I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
Bwahaha I laugh because I know your pain. Well, mostly. I do have a room I can shut mine in if I need peace for a work meeting or something.

I can say it does get *better, but no it does not completely go away. He looooves you! They just get less needy and less destructive about it as they age. You may be able to train him to stay in a certain spot for pets while you work. For mine that is a heated pad on my desk. My adult kitty would mostly stay there and I’d reach over and give her a scritch frequently to reassure her. Currently my kitten is needy enough that it’s not sufficient lol. But I’m confident he will get there.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

ChicagoCatMom

Lairian
Bwahaha I laugh because I know your pain. Well, mostly. I do have a room I can shut mine in if I need peace for a work meeting or something.

I can say it does get *better, but no it does not completely go away. He looooves you! They just get less needy and less destructive about it as they age. You may be able to train him to stay in a certain spot for pets while you work. For mine that is a heated pad on my desk. My adult kitty would mostly stay there and I’d reach over and give her a scritch frequently to reassure her. Currently my kitten is needy enough that it’s not sufficient lol. But I’m confident he will get there.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

I have a big closet room that I can shut him in but I feel so bad/guilty when he cries. I'm afraid it will give him trauma (from thinking that he is trapped or that I completely left him)...is that a possibilty? How do you tune out the crying?

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The sphynx need you 24/7 its part of the breed. They are babies for life. I believe this may be something that you will need to adjust to. Look at hot packs, interactive toys, and lots of different beds etc they also like watching TV and videos on the IPAD of birds and wildlife. Hot packs are essential and this might help.

They are also incredibly hungry and need a lot more food frequently then cats with fur. They feel the cold also and have a faster metabolism.

When they poop they most likely need their bottoms wiped.

BUT sphynx are needy and affectionate and in your face this is why we get them. They remain kitten like most of their life.

Wish I could babysit.

Last edited:

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I totally agree with the heating pad. I no longer bother with closing the bathroom door. I have a permanent visitor on my lap.
I did read in one of the posts a time back that some ladies wear their hoodie tops back to front and use the hoodie as a pouch maybe if you can get him used to lying in it. It May calm him as he is with you and you can at least try to work on your laptop. I am not sure how successful this maybe.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Most don’t recommend kittens going to forever homes until they are 12 weeks old. Your baby might not have learned some behaviors that the cat mommy usually helps them with in order to build their confidence and social skills. At this stage, you are their mommy and they need you to help make them feel safe and loved. It is an needy breed for sure, but your little one might be expressing natural needs at this young age. Enjoy every second. They grow so fast...your life has officially changed once a Sphynx enters your heart/home. @ChicagoCatMom

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have a big closet room that I can shut him in but I feel so bad/guilty when he cries. I'm afraid it will give him trauma (from thinking that he is trapped or that I completely left him)...is that a possibilty? How do you tune out the crying?

That will give him trauma. Like a human baby you can't shut them away so you don't hear them. They are crying because they need food, safety, comfort, warmth, love.

IF you feel this is too much and intense for you think about having a conversation with the person you purchased him from.

Sometimes lifestyles don't match sphynx needs and breeders are usually happy to help.

ChicagoCatMom

Lairian
That will give him trauma. Like a human baby you can't shut them away so you don't hear them. They are crying because they need food, safety, comfort, warmth, love.

IF you feel this is too much and intense for you think about having a conversation with the person you purchased him from.

Sometimes lifestyles don't match sphynx needs and breeders are usually happy to help.

I didn't say I want to "shut him away." That's the exact opposite of what I want to do. Thanks.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Your kitten was very young when he cane to you, about 5 weeks old if I understand correctly? That means he didn't learn all the things he needs to learn from his cat mom. You're his new mom so it's important you learn him all the things he needs to learn. I never had a kitten that young so don't know how to train a young kitten. Best is to ask breeders if they are experienced with raising a kitten who's mom wasn't available.
Good luck!

ChicagoCatMom

Lairian
Your kitten was very young when he cane to you, about 5 weeks old if I understand correctly? That means he didn't learn all the things he needs to learn from his cat mom. You're his new mom so it's important you learn him all the things he needs to learn. I never had a kitten that young so don't know how to train a young kitten. Best is to ask breeders if they are experienced with raising a kitten who's mom wasn't available.
Good luck!

No I got him at 8 weeks

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I would not shut him in your big closet room.

As I mentioned earlier if it is too much I would look at other options and speak to who you purchased the cat from.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So I have a 2 month old sphynx and so far I've had him three weeks. Whenever I try to work on my computer/do basically anything, he will be aggressively clawing at me (in a playful way) to play with him/give him attention & will keep meowing until I do. It's really hard because I can't even go to the bathroom for two minutes without him crying SO loud outside the door. His cries sound as if he is being hurt/in pain.

I live in a studio so there's really no way for me to get away from him so that I can focus. I feel like I have no real alone time. The only time he's quiet is when he is sleeping.

Should I get a cage/gate? Will he eventually be less hyperactive/vocal as he grows up? How do people get work done with a sphynx kitten around? How do you have any alone time?

Forgot to mention a trick /tip that can help comfort them...throw a soft blanket into the dryer and then let them burrow in it beside you it swaddle them. These heat seekers find comfort in it usually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi @Catzzzmeow fabulous idea, and just to clarify, remove the blanket from the dryer and close the dryer door.

These little ones can get into all sorts of trouble if the dryer door is left open and should never be left open.

Warm blankets and towels that have been inside a dryer are a delight.

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bless you with you maths. I think we all have this dilemma.
A quick question. Have any of these ideas aided you in getting some peace at home. All of these ideas are really great.

GatosLocos

Lairian

Have you found anything that works? My new kitty IS THE SAME I need help as well!

Back