Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Linrah

Lairian
My almost 4 month old kitten has recently developed spots (kind of like a rash) mainly on her sides. The bumps are all difference sizes. It started with one or two spots about two weeks ago and only got really bad in the last 3 days. As far as I can tell they don't irritate her. She doesn't lick or scratch them. She's been on the same food and litter the entire time I've had her. First thought was that I need go bathe her more often. I've bathed her a few times since I've had her with diluted Johnson's & Johnson's head to toe baby wash. It doesn't seem to irritate her but I'm worried to wash her more often with it.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Don't bathe her more than once a week. You might try a different shampoo, in case it's an allergic reaction. Also try avoiding perfumed laundry soaps. If it keeps going, she may need to see her vet. Good luck!

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Look for a good hypo allergenic wash, Earthbath makes a good one. And i agree to less frequent bathing.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
My almost 4 month old kitten has recently developed spots (kind of like a rash) mainly on her sides. The bumps are all difference sizes. It started with one or two spots about two weeks ago and only got really bad in the last 3 days. As far as I can tell they don't irritate her. She doesn't lick or scratch them. She's been on the same food and litter the entire time I've had her. First thought was that I need go bathe her more often. I've bathed her a few times since I've had her with diluted Johnson's & Johnson's head to toe baby wash. It doesn't seem to irritate her but I'm worried to wash her more often with it.
Sorry to hear of your issue. Here is a good thread for some ideas on sphynx skin issues - http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/sphynx-skin-conditions.4236/ Pictures would really help if you could upload a few. If you live in the cold weather, this time of year our naked friends like to find warm places to lay on like, radiators, cable and satellite boxes. stereo receivers etc. These things can cause heat rashes on their little bodies. Also, if you can, we recommend going two weeks with bathing.

Linrah

Lairian
I've bathed her once every week and a half or so, purely because that's how long it takes her to get really dirty. I bought a kitten spray wash, I'll see if the irritate is infact due to the shampoo. The spots seem to be mainly behind her front legs and on the backs of her back legs. Seemingly where the most dirt and sweat collects when she sleeps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 289

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
What are you feeding her? The same thing happened to me pls see my posts.

ama89

Lairian
Juddy has the same, I have just changed to a natural cat shampoo instead of baby wash... will see how it goes.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I was using dry whiskas kitten too which made it worse. Is the wet food chicken based too? Chicken allergies are common.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I'm not sure what the bumps are. It could be pimples or an allergic reaction to something. I'm not saying that I think it's an allergy, but just wanted to tell you that allergies can happen all of a sudden...even years after using or taking the same products or medicines.

Linrah

Lairian
I'm in the process of switching her to a higher protein, grain-free dry food and bought a hypo allergenic pet shampoo. The spots have spread to her neck and shoulders and she now is visably irritated by them.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I switched her to grain free, high protein dry food and got a hypoallergenic kitten shampoo. The rash on her shoulders and neck is gone, although she still has a couple random spots.
Can you provide brand names please I really would like to know for my own baby and maybe others would too. Thanks.

Linrah

Lairian
Can you provide brand names please I really would like to know for my own baby and maybe others would too. Thanks.
I'm feeding her Performatrin ultra grain-free kitten recipe, it's a pet value brand. Same brand of wet 'grain-free Performatrin ultra' beef and chicken stew.

Linrah

Lairian
Short lived victory on the rash, it seems to be back. Back to the drawing board for food.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 242
Back