Kitten death on Delta -- Important Please Read | Page 4 | Sphynxlair

Kitten death on Delta -- Important Please Read

Discussion in 'My Sphynx Cat Tail' started by doriansmomma, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Bella07

Bella07Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $270.00
    Ratings:
    +1,642
    Delta can not get away with this. I can't bare to research more cases similar to yours, but I have a feeling that there are hundreds, or even thousands that go unpublicized. This needs to stop....In my eyes, it's animal abuse. A change really needs to be made...:Cry: Best of Luck to you once again.

2. Gadzukz

GadzukzV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $36.00
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    Protocol?!?!?! Clearly if protocol was followed then it needs to be changed!:Angry:

3. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    I'm so sorry to hear about this. Reading your story literally brought me to tears. I could not imagine such a sad day. There are no words to comfort you but I will certainly help in anyway I can to help spread the word.

And Sleepyheadkitten is right! The only true way to make this company pay (to hit them where it hurts) is to hit their pocket. No it won't bring her back but when it goes across someone desk when looking at expense reports they are going to want to know why they had to pay out "X" amount of dollars because of someone's careless mistake or their plane's malfunction on the latch. It will make them take a deeper look at least and hopefully put the right actions into place to prevent this from happening to someone else.
    I'm so sorry - my heart is with you and your family. (((HUGS)))

4. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $126.00
    Ratings:
    +2,008
    • Like Like x 16
    • sydkat7

sydkat7V.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $476.00
      Ratings:
      +658
      Hi Heather, hearing about what happened to Snickers is so upsetting to me, I have no words for it.:Cry: I'm deeply sorry and very upset about your loss. It is appalling how nonchalant Delta is being about the whole situation. I hope that you'll make this terrible airline pay dearly (with bad press as well as money) for what they did to your kitten. I will NEVER have any of my animals shipped in cargo because I always fear the worst...which unfortunately is what happened to poor Snickers. :Angry:

• ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $43.00
      Ratings:
      +2,876
      I'm glad to see this getting national press. I really hope we see a response from Delta airlines with a tried and true action plan of steps they will be taking to ensure this never happens again.

• Bella07

Bella07Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
      $270.00
      Ratings:
      +1,642
      Despite the horrible circumstances, that's good. The more the word gets spread, the better. I really hope that we see an improved and drastic reponse from Delta as well.

• doriansmomma

doriansmommaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $297.00
      Ratings:
      +297
      Hi Everyone, I first want to thank each & everyone of you for your kinds words & encouragement. I needed the support yesterday & it was wonderful to see that people not only cared about what happened to poor Snickers, but were just as angry & hurt as I was.

With those words of encouragement, I put my thinking & working cap on & emailed close to 1000 people last night & let me just tell you the response was absolutely INCREDIBLE.

As you guys noticed, USA Today, & countless other articles were written today about Snickers. I also just finished an interview with the Associated Press (She just finished & submitted the article to her editor) & NBC News is going to be coming to my home in a few days for another. The pet edition of People Magazine will be publishing their article on Snickers today or tomorrow. Even the local Humane Society is doing their February Newsletter on the risks of traveling with your pets. I have spoken to some amazing people who all are just as shocked about the way the situation was handled & at Delta's lack of care for a life. I promise you there will be more stories, more posts on websites & blogs. The editor for the cat section on about.com just completed an article as well, not sure if it is live yet. To everyone who helped --- THANK YOU!

My good friends at Delta are really taking this seriously, my last conversation entailed him asking me the value of the freezer Snickers is in. Yup, then he tried convincing me to send them Snickers body so they can cut her up. (This way they can pin the blame on someone else) I told him I planned to give Snickers the respect she deserved & that her body would not be cut to pieces so they can dodge liability for murder. I plan on giving her the respect they obviously can't & couldn't & she will receive a proper burial when the ground thaws.

I did notice (not on this board) some comments about Snickers breeder & I just wanted to say that her breeder has been absolutely wonderful & supportive. This was her baby too. She raised her, nurtured her, loved her. She is just as devastated as I am & my thoughts & prayers extend to her. She didn't foresee this & in 11 years, has never had a problem with Delta & trusted her children to arrive at their destinations safely. Just as I did, she put her trust in them & unfortunately, Delta let us all down.

Her breeder found out some other information I thought I would share as well. Apparently, "Climate Controlled" ONLY means that the cargo hold won't go below 40 or 45 degrees! Not that they heat it, or keep it room temperature, THAT IT WON'T GO BELOW 40-45 Degrees! That is appalling, ridiculous, ludicrous, & insane if you ask me.

Snickers life came to a sudden & untimely end the other night & I will forever remember her & will hold her dear to my heart. So now I have to be the voice she lost & speak for her & the countless other pets I read about who lost their lives. If 1 animal is saved because someone reads about the truth with cargo travel, then Snickers death wasn't a waste, it wasn't in vain & at least something good can come of an awful situation.

I am also contacting the Animal Legal Defense Fund. It is a group of lawyers who fight for the rights of all animals. I just read a case from last year where they were petitioning the government to make the airlines disclose the deaths in cargo. (They currently don't need to report deaths that happen in cargo like Snickers) They seem like an incredible group of people. Here's the link if anyone is interested in scoping them out. I know I am impressed! Animal Legal Defense Fund:About Us

You guys are absolutely awesome & I thank you again. Without you guys giving me the nudge I needed, I WOULD NOT have had the motivation to speak up for Snickers & all other pets that have lost their lives. :BigSmile:

• Like Like x 28
      • bellasmom

bellasmomBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
        $5.00
        Ratings:
        +423
        I can not believe that they dont have to report when they have a cargo death?!:Angry: That is crazy!:Angry: In that article from USA Today they talked about puppies that died from heat stroke. :Angry: Im also with sleepyheadkitten and think Delta should pay! It seems like thats the only way they are going to learn. So I would squeeze every dime that you can out of them!!!:Furious::Furious::Furious::Furious:

• Gadzukz

Sphynx Bucks:
        $36.00
        Ratings:
        +1,219
        Thank you for the update! I am so glad this is getting attention. If they have a below temp limit I wonder what their above temp limit is in Summer? Consumers are led to believe that climate controlled means their pets will have the same considerations as the human passengers. Do you intend to do a necropsy? Is the vet that saw her willing to write a statement? I would hate to see Delta wiggle out of blame because they have a legal team.

We do all share your pain and outrage on Snickers behalf, thank you for sharing her story with us all.

• sydkat7

sydkat7V.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $476.00
        Ratings:
        +658
        I say we boycott Delta for human flights as well. Let's REALLY hit them where it hurts! I never liked that airline anyway.

• susi794

susi794Moderator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
        $45,934.92
        Ratings:
        +12,587
        • Scary sphynx
        • Puppy
        • Red Sphynx
        • Pink Sphynx
        • Orange Sphynx
        Please make them PAY for Snickers.....both monetarily and legally......don't let them get away with it. They owe you. It won't help bring her back, but it will hurt their bottom line a little.

• Nofuratu

NofuratuV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $1,295.30
        Ratings:
        +1,700
        I am so glad you were able to direct your grief into something constructive that would help this from happening to other animals!!
        This is so sad that Snickers died, but I really beleive animals will be saved as a result of this.
        I consider myself to be educated in pet welfare after having worked in vet medicine for years. My ex husband has travelled worldwide with his cat. Yet I had NO IDEA that climate controlled only meant above 7 degres celcius, or that animals could be driven in open trucks exposed to the elements!

I feel so horrible for having Nofuratu shipped to me during the winter! I am pretty sure he flew Delta and am going to look up his records and email his breeder. This was four years ago, but I will never forget the look on his face as he climbed on me and nuzzled into my neck when I first met him. He was cold, soaking wet from his spilled water, and covered in diarrhea. Now I am realising he flew in cargo that probably went as low as 7 degres celcius!!? How many animals have suffered this without breeders and owners knowing?

Thank you for educating all of us!!! I am posting the usa today article on mine, and Nofuratu's facebook page and will be putting Snicker's article as his next blog posting. Its not "people" magazine, but his blog has pet loving readers from Alaska to China and I want everyone to know that when they have their pet shipped cargo, this is how they are treated!!! Im so angry with all the airlines, not just Delta, and also with myself for not knowing and believing it was safe.

That pet airline sounds wonderful, I hope they continue to grow!

Adventures of A Naked Cat

• ypvsypvs

ypvsypvsSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $9.00
        Ratings:
        +442
        This story is spreading rapidly.
        It showed up on two Swedish pet forums already (that I know of, probably more).

If it's the same everywhere Delta is gonna take a hit off this one, as they should.

• Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $126.00
        Ratings:
        +2,008

I wrote a dj in my area who is on my fb and they said to write Good Day Sacramento.

• NakedNinja

NakedNinjaSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $73.00
        Ratings:
        +699
        Out of curiosity, what is the alternative if you are transporting a pet? As far as I know, they won't allow them in the passenger compartment anymore. Driving to pick them up is okay within a few hundred miles, but not realistic for very long distances.

Along with accepting legal and financial responsibility for poor little Snicker's death, I think the airlines should be required to allow our four-legged family members to ride with us in the safety of the passenger area.

• ypvsypvs

ypvsypvsSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $9.00
        Ratings:
        +442
        I don't know what the alternatives are.
        No breeders agree to ship by plane here due to the stress so I have no experiences with it really.
        If I wanna buy a cat in Scandinavia I will have to either go get it myself or not buy it, no matter the distance.

I don't think they will or can allow pets in recirculated enviroments like airplanes because of people with allergies. The same air goes around and around and all parts of the plane share the same air. My guess is that they don't wanna risk polluting the planes with allergenes that might affect the passengers for many flights after the pet have actually been aboard.

• Gizzymom

GizzymomBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
        $5.00
        Ratings:
        +2,109
        I know this would be like asking for a miracle... but I would want a public acknowledgement that they screwed up by leaving Snickers sitting in the cargo compartment too long after landing. I would also want a public statement that they plan on re-evaluating (and improving) their methods of handling live animal "cargo", so that this does not continue to happen.

I think you are more likely to get a monetary settlement than that... but a girl can dream!!

• MissMySphynxBoys

MissMySphynxBoysGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
        $406.00
        Ratings:
        +2,257

Due to outrageous price hikes in airline fares traveling to/from Maine since getting Gleek in August, I had to do some research on my transportation options when it came to getting Jiji earlier this month.

I found that most buses and trains will not allow pets at all and it appears that I would have to go through some major hoops if I had a seeing eye dog. I was forced to get creative and ended up taking a bus to Boston, and flew to Georgia.

For animal friendly airlines (meaning they allow pets in the passenger area) that would work for me were Delta and AirTran. Both airlines require you to book flights with pets by phone as they have a limit on how many animals can be on board. In addition to my ticket, Delta would charge a $125 one-way pet fee and AirTran charged $69. I ended up using AirTran. In both cases the cat carrier had to be no bigger than 8.5 in tall x 17 long x 12 wide and had to stay under the seat in front of me and counted as my one piece of carry-on in addition to my purse.

• Sleepyheadkitten

SleepyheadkittenSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $26.00
        Ratings:
        +643
        You CAN fly pets in cabin with you- at least in the US you can. As owners- people need to look more into PICKING UP. As breeders, we need to look into more options versus flying cargo.

As much as Jacky had a bad experience with Continental- their cargo program exceeds any others. They meet the animals on the tarmac with a heated/cooled van and do not drive them in the open trucks back and forth to the planes. I don't know about once the plane lands if the cargo latch got stuck if the same issue would occur- that is something I would need to research into. If they KNOW there are animals on board- wouldn't it make sense to keep the air circulating until the latch is open? I don't know- I honestly think a step was ignored/skipped, but I cannot imagine that a cargo latch hasn't 'stuck' before and therefore- what is the proper protocol when they still have living beings in the plane???

• Like Like x 2
        • Gadzukz

Sphynx Bucks:
          $36.00
          Ratings:
          +1,219
          Sleepyheadkitten~ Gummi flew Continental, she arrived earlier than expected, and I was not there yet. They called me and brought her into the office. When I got there she was asleep in her crate on the lady's desk!

This is another option for US buyers, I am probaly using them for my next kitten.

SHUTTLE PET | Facebook

• Like Like x 2
          • Sleepyheadkitten

Sphynx Bucks:
            $26.00
            Ratings:
            +643
            Gadzukz- I really need the prices on Shuttlepets- can you PM me and let me know what it ran you? I'm assuming the pups went that way? I had emailed them actually about shipping a kitten to Montana, but didn't hear back from them. I am looking at all of my options for my Savannahs. Since SVs tend to run expensive, I have also thought about hand delivering and just including that in the kitten price.

• Like Like x 2
            • gizmo6370

gizmo6370Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
              $8.00
              Ratings:
              +2,470
              In Europe you can too :ThumbsUp:

• Sleepyheadkitten

Sphynx Bucks:
              $26.00
              Ratings:
              +643
              Another message from this loss that I think some people need to concentrate on is... KITTEN BUYERS- FIND PATIENCE.

The breeders have no control over the weather and if I was still breeding Sphynx, I would probably require either pick-up OR wouldn't ship until the weather was over 50 degrees. 30 is just too cold for an animal without a coat! I keep telling people- 12 weeks old is still delicate for a Sphynx. Of course, we can't keep them until 6 months, but 12 weeks is still very much a baby, but kitten buyers are VERY IMPATIENT to get their babies home (this is all general- not that any of YOU were impatient :LOL: ) and some are very irritated when they find out that the weather embargo has affected shipping. And I SOO understand! Trust me! No one wants to make plans for the day to ship and then find out they are cancelled- over and over- but it's better then a dead kitten!

• Sleepyheadkitten

Sphynx Bucks:
              $26.00
              Ratings:
              +643
              I talked to Continental just a few minutes ago and while I maintain they are the better company to go through- I'm still not very comfortable. For the good news- animals in Continental are the last on and the first off- which is good. The pilots also always know if they have animals in cargo- so that's good too. The bad news is- in a case such as this, the representative did not know what would have happened. She said she has never heard of a cargo latch being stuck- ever.

• Like Like x 2