Kitten death on Delta -- Important Please Read | Page 5 | Sphynxlair

Kitten death on Delta -- Important Please Read

Discussion in 'My Sphynx Cat Tail' started by doriansmomma, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Sleepyheadkitten

SleepyheadkittenSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $26.00
    Ratings:
    +643
    Before I forget- hey, hon- start a Facebook fan page for your baby. There are enough supporters that you should easily get 400-500 fans in the next few days. Let people post their outrage and then direct DELTA to the page next time they call! If you can't set it up- let me know- it's super easy.

Ensure on the fan page that you add the pertinent details- your breeder has shipped through Delta before, your kitten was healthy- everything else that you didn't put in the original story because you were too heartbroken.

My server is having issues with the webpage I'm trying to create- otherwise, it'd be up already :Angry:

• Like Like x 2

• doriansmomma

doriansmommaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $297.00
      Ratings:
      +297
      Hi Guys, I am at work, but I thought I would post Delta's most recent email to me & my response: (2 posts)

Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:13 PM
      To: 'Heather Lombardi'
      Subject: RE: Sphynx Kitten Death

Dear Ms. Lombardi,

Thank you for your email. Please be assured that I did not take offense during our conversation or at certain statements in your email. I have been a Lead Peer Grief counselor with Delta for over 9 years, which has provided me with insight into the different ways that people express their grief.

As I indicted to you, we are conducting an investigation into the circumstances surrounding this incident. When that investigation is completed, we will advise you accordingly. Delta is, of course, sensitive to our customer's concerns. Rest assured that we make every effort to comply with federal regulations governing the carriage of live animals. We have a number of safeguards built into our system and are constantly seeking ways to improve that system, when and where necessary. You will, I'm sure, recognize that situations do arise which are unexpected and beyond our control.

May we express our condolences for your loss. Please remember, however, that our air waybill (#006-0353-2104) is our contract of carriage with you and governs both your rights and liabilities and Delta's in this situation.

Thank you, in advance, for your patience and understanding."

Billy S. Freeman

Claims Manager

Delta Cargo

• doriansmomma

doriansmommaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $297.00
      Ratings:
      +297
      Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:52 PM
      To: 'Freeman, Billy'
      Subject: RE: Sphynx Kitten Death

Hi Billy, I will do my very best to not take the comment about my rights & your liability to heart. (No promises though) To be honest, I don’t care about your liability or my rights. The only thing that concerns me is that an innocent animal lost its life on Flight #738. I want to know what went wrong & how Delta will fix the problem so another animal doesn’t need to suffer or lose its life. That is why I am asking questions, I want to know what went wrong.

I don’t care if you are sensitive to my concerns, what I care about is that you safely transport the animals that are trusted to you. So no need to be nice. Just deliver what you are paid for.

In regards to the safeguards in the system in place for the transport of live animals, doing a quick Google search will clearly indicate that the safeguards are not effective. Seeing what happened on Flight #738, the safeguards failed & it seems to be a trend not just with Delta, but across the board with all airlines.

Lets just pretend that I own a restaurant & my main cuisine was Italian food, but I decided that I wanted to start serving hamburgers as well to meet my paying customers desires/demand. I wear gloves, but sneeze in the vat of hamburger meat. I wear a hairnet, but don’t thoroughly cook the meat. I then kill a customer from E Coli. Who cares that the customer is dead -- I can sleep at night because I have safeguards, I wore gloves & a hairnet. (Hope you can connect the dots with that one)

I commend you for helping people grieve when they need it the most, it is a valiant thing to care & have compassion for others. I hope you see that the way I have chosen to grieve is to seek change. Change for a broken system that is letting so many animals down. I am a big girl; I will get over the loss of Snickers. Unfortunately, Snickers doesn’t quite have that same luxury since HER right to live was taken away.

I will happily volunteer to help Delta identify & make the changes needed to improve those broken safeguards as they claim they are constantly seeking. The best part is, I wouldn’t even charge you. I was raised to be proactive, I was taught that if there is a piece of paper on the floor to pick it up. You don’t walk by it complaining about it being there. You identify the problem & you fix it.

I hope to talk to you soon, Heather

• Like Like x 10
      • Sleepyheadkitten

Sphynx Bucks:
        $26.00
        Ratings:
        +643
        Heather- you were much sweeter then I would have been. When I was speaking to the vet that did Neala's surgery- and he tried to poo-poo my concerns (tried to talk around me)- he was lucky to survive with his head intact because I KNEW what I was talking about (as it sounds like you do too) and grief has nothing to do with your actions right now. Yes, they prompted your actions and they may continue to serve as a catalyst, but you have a reason BEYOND that to continue fighting Delta- to ensure it doesn't happen AGAIN to someone else.

• Gadzukz

GadzukzV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $36.00
        Ratings:
        +1,219
        What a condescending, insulting load of crap!
        Your response was wonderful, well thought and well written.

• Like Like x 4
        • Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
          $126.00
          Ratings:
          +2,008

Heather is it ok if we share these emails?

• JacksMom

JacksMomBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
          $6.00
          Ratings:
          +469
          I read this on facebook and cried and cried and cried. I just cannot imagine. at all. what you all have gone through emotionally. Such a horrible senseless tragedy and boy was I angered that this should have NEVER happened. I am sooooo terribly sorry for your loss.

• marlene

marleneV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
          $19.00
          Ratings:
          +1,863
          I like how he ends it by gently reminding you of the carriage bill and what his company's legal losses are limited to - because that's what he was doing, you know. Indicating that you had a contract and tacitly hinting that suing wouldn't do any good because the contract limits their losses. That was nice of him, wasn't it? (sorry, that was sarcasm).

In return, you might hint that you aren't going to roll over and passively accept his condolences - you want changes made (which you've already done, yay). A good place to start would be for Delta to EXPLICITLY STATE EXACTLY WHAT CLIMATE CONTROL ENTAILS rather than implying to the public that it's safe and comfortable. Then they can follow by tightening up their allowed temperature ranges for accepting animals as cargo. And they can get rid of the open-air transport trucks between the docks and planes. Those would be a few good places to start if they really wanted to improve animal safety. I don't work in the airline industry and even those things are patently, obviously needed.

Get more pictures from the breeder if you can. Post them all over. There's truth in the saying that pictures speak a thousand words and you want people to see the precious soul that was killed.

May I have permission to post the follow-up letters on Pedda's blog? It isn't much but it's one more place you can point if you get to the point of talking to Delta about publicity.

I'm also willing to do whatever I can to further this burgeoning crusade for animal safety. Just let me know and I'm in.

• Like Like x 2
          • Maua_Peterbald

Maua_PeterbaldLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
            $270.00
            Ratings:
            +136
            I was completely devastated after reading your post and cried, I can`t even imagine how you must have felt holding this poor cold body.
            I wish you success with the crusade, even though it will have many ups and downs, but just imagine a Snickers law passed through and saving lots of innocent lives.
            Not only planes are dangerous for animals, we had a similar story with puppies passing away on board of a train.
            sending you many hugs and positive thoughts

• doriansmomma

doriansmommaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
            $297.00
            Ratings:
            +297
            Hi Guys, you have my full permission to use these emails as you please! If it wasn't for the fact that he was nicely telling me to shut the f*ck up, I wouldn't have posted them here at all. The way it is being handled is ridiculous. They have yet to acknowledge an animal as a life & won't say anything other then what will it cost for this to go away.

As far as I am concerned, they don't want to change their practices because it would make animal transport unprofitable. Just because you are following the minimal federal guidelines does not mean that those guidelines protect the animal from suffering as the track record for all airlines has shown. They should hold themselves to a higher standard. They are doing just enough to comply with laws, but clearly not enough to protect the animals. Do it & do it right, or simply don't do it all.

I have planned my next email to my friend Billy. It will be a challenge for him or Delta's CEO. If they feel what they are doing is good enough, I want them to strip down to nothing more then a dog sweater (one tailored to fit them of course, I would even knit it myself!) just like Snickers was wearing. The temperature needs to be 10 degrees. I want him to in a crate, but if he won't -- that is not a deal killer. From there, be placed in cargo while in Utah, with a connection in Atlanta then off to BDL. Once they land, the door needs to stay locked for 50 minutes. Hopefully they don't freeze to death before they take the bitter trip to the cargo hold in an open vehicle. Once they arrive, no one is to give them medical attention, a hot chocolate, or anything else -- What's good for the goose is good for the gander?

Man do I need some humor in my life. That vision put the biggest smile on my face!

• Like Like x 14
            • marlene

Sphynx Bucks:
              $19.00
              Ratings:
              +1,863
              Oh be sure to remind them that they'll be naked on the trip - except for the sweater, of course! And remind them of how safe it is too, thanks to the laws and guidelines they follow!

That picture brought a grin to my face too. But sadly, an adult human has a lot more absolute mass than a tiny kitten so they'd probably survive.

• Jennifer

JenniferSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
              $322.00
              Ratings:
              +905
              I see the message all over facebook, its on USA Today and "pet talk of the day" People are outraged over delta and this issue. This story has had me upset ever since it came out.I am glad that the word is getting out

• MissMySphynxBoys

MissMySphynxBoysGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
              $406.00
              Ratings:
              +2,257

But at least there will be a lot of 'shrinkage' to help lift my spirits.

• Like Like x 2
              • Treasurecat

TreasurecatBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
                $0.00
                Ratings:
                +67
                I am so sorry about that poor baby. I haven't been on here in a few days so this is the first I have read or heard of this. After reading your initial post I was crying so hard I almost didn't read the rest. I am glad I did so that I could learn about all the people rallying around you and all the publicity that its receiving. It won't bring her back, but I am sure it will save other helpless animals.

• marlene

Sphynx Bucks:
                $19.00
                Ratings:
                +1,863
                I just posted the follow-up letters on Pedda's blog. Put links on Facebook and Cat Blogosphere, and also submitted it as news on CB. I do have a question: If Cats Blogosphere wants permission to contact you, shall I give them that permission?

• Like Like x 2
                • ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
                  $43.00
                  Ratings:
                  +2,876
                  I don't know how much you enjoy ELLEN but she is a huge animal lover and advocate for our beloved pets.

• Sleepyheadkitten

Sphynx Bucks:
                  $26.00
                  Ratings:
                  +643
                  The Blogosphere, btw, has the biggest heart- they are great people.

• Mews2much

Sphynx Bucks:
                  $126.00
                  Ratings:
                  +2,008

The Blogosphere is great they did auction to help me with Cocos vet bill.
                  They really do care.

• marlene

Sphynx Bucks:
                  $19.00
                  Ratings:
                  +1,863
                  I love the Blogosphere, it doesn't get any better than them. And Ellen is a great idea.

• MyJezebel

MyJezebelV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                  $8,181.95
                  Ratings:
                  +1,136
                  I just wanted to say that I really admire the strong stance that you are taking and your response to that jackass from Delta was absolutely perfect. Keep fighting the good fight and know that all of us here have your back.

• kiennasmom

kiennasmomV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                  $15.00
                  Ratings:
                  +902
                  Be a Part of the Show | The Ellen DeGeneres Show

Here is the link for sending Ellen comments/story ideas/etc. There's a form to fill out for contact info, etc. I think contacting her is a great idea!

Heather, please let us know if there's any way we can help you out other than just spreading the word. Maybe those that us who wanted could each have a little email chat with your friend Billy or his superiors? :Angry:
                  I can't get this whole thing out of my mind. I agree that money would be good (read: painful to Delta). However, the things Marlene menioned-- full disclosure about the conditions, maintaining temperature at all times, etc would be even better! Snickers Law!! I like the sound the sound of that....turning something tragic into good.

Even if nothing changes in the long run in Delta's protocol, please know that you've educated thousands (if not more!) people on the dangers of something that is represented as safe and comfortable. Thank you:ThumbsUp:

• Like Like x 2
                  • doriansmomma

doriansmommaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                    $297.00
                    Ratings:
                    +297
                    Hey Everyone, at this point in time, I am an open book. Anything you need to know, just ask, feel free to give out my contact information, feel free to share the emails, the story, anything. If everyone knew the true conditions, I don't think they would be what they are. Simply for the fact that I wouldn't put my 90 pound dog in a 7 degree cargo hold for 10 minutes nonetheless 50.

I love the suggestions from Marlene on how they can make cargo safer for animals. I don't think my good friend Billy is the one to address them with. I think I need to get out of the claims department entirely. What I will push for tomorrow is an exact explanation of "Climate Controlled" Cargo. If Billy won't cough it up, someone else at Delta will when I call 40 different people.

I was thinking that if you guys are up to it, lets compile a list of problems we have all noticed, witnessed, read about, heard about, anything having to do with the cargo holds or handling of the animals that can or should be fixed or improved. I think that even small changes can make a big difference in the trip for an animal. Such as Marlene's suggestion, a covered vehicle to go from the tarmac into the airport.

I want to speak out for all of the innocent animals who have lost their lives, I am grateful to have the opportunity to at least feel like I am making a difference. (Even if it is minimal) If 1 animal is saved & travel is made safer for the rest, count me in. While losing Snickers was devastating, it opened my eyes to a much greater issue then my little baby losing her life -- the thousands of others who have as well.

If anyone has any suggestions, lets run with them. Facebook pages, The Ellen Show, Blogs, heck, anything that will get peoples attention even for a minute. Awareness is an amazing tool & has amazing power. I really want to help, and it seems like you guys do as well. So I say lets do whatever we can. =)

• doriansmomma

doriansmommaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                    $297.00
                    Ratings:
                    +297
                    PS. Snickers Law sounds awesome! hehehe

• Like Like x 2
                    • Mews2much

Sphynx Bucks:
                      $126.00
                      Ratings:
                      +2,008
                      I know Wrinkles breeder is friends with your breeder.
                      Start a fb for Snickers andI will post it on my fb.

• doriansmomma

doriansmommaLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
                      $297.00
                      Ratings:
                      +297
                      Ok, I went to make a facebook page, any suggestions on the page name? Snickers sounds to much like the Candy Bar no?