Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten, fat or not fat

Dobbytheratcat

Lairian
I can't get a proper picture showing it but the pictures I've attached kinda show it, especially the one where he's sitting. How do you tell fat cat from saggy belly cat? Dobby is a 6 month old Donskoy, he was always tiny with a bit of a pot belly but now he's pretty big and his lower belly is really droopy and fat. So he looks even more ridiculous with his tiny head. He's a greedy little bugger who wolf's down the other cats food. And when I pick him up he feels heavier than my 10/11 month old girl kitten

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They kinda go through teenager growth spurts and they will not look as of their parts fit together. He will grow into himself. Give it time.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think his belly looks great. All healthy cats have a little bit of a primordial pouch (thanks fun fact Friday), and you can just see it easier on the hairless breeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
looks like sphynx belly to me!
love that last picture of him too :love:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
He is so very handsome! His belly looks like a good sphynx belly to me. Kittens will have grow spurts and need all the energy from the food.

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think Dobby looks perfect. I’ve had three sphynx cats. One weighed 7 pounds, one 9 and one 13. The 9 pound cat looked her he when I first adopted her, but then I got the 13 pounder and she looked dainty next to him.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Dobbytheratcat omg Dobby is Sooo handsome - solid kitty

Found this description that mentions the pear shaped fat belly :)

Glad you stopped by with adorable pics! Do you have pics of your girl ?

"Donskoy is a hairless cat breed. ... The breed also features long, slim toes with webs of skin separating each toe, so it gives their feet a unique appearance. Overall, these cats are medium sized, with plenty of muscle, and they're strong-boned. They also have a distinctive pear-shaped, fat belly."

Dobbytheratcat

Lairian
Thanks everyone, I'll let him keep eating ALL the food then swear he eats more than my almost 7kg cat. And definitely has lots of energy, he's currently zooming around the room at 1am after one of the other cats and pouncing on the 2 sleeping cats. He's adorable, but he's also a bit of a dick

Dobbytheratcat

Lairian
Your cat looks great in shape. Kittens typically eat more than adult cats. Here is a feeding guide for your reference.

Thanks, I've had cats for years and my other kitten eats quite a bit but Dobby is impressive in his eating skills. He'll inhale wet food to the point of being really really bloated so I have to shut him away when I feed the others it. The others are all good at self regulating their food but Dobby has never been able to

VictorFU

Lairian
Thanks, I've had cats for years and my other kitten eats quite a bit but Dobby is impressive in his eating skills. He'll inhale wet food to the point of being really really bloated so I have to shut him away when I feed the others it. The others are all good at self regulating their food but Dobby has never been able to
My cat can eat a lot as well, having a good appetite is a good thing, but we really need to control how much to feed to avoid overweight. Hope he will grow up healthy!

Dublin Riis

Lairian
Yep! That's a Sphynx/Donskoy belly!! @Dobbytheratcat No worries. You have a healthy 6 month old baby. Yudjin's is slightly more pronounced, but I love that little belly.

By the way, I LOVE YOUR DONSKOY! It's a shame we're kept in the dark about whether or not he'll keep that coat. He may lose some of it...or not at all, as he matures, but I love this baby!

Dobbytheratcat

Lairian
Yep! That's a Sphynx/Donskoy belly!! @Dobbytheratcat No worries. You have a healthy 6 month old baby. Yudjin's is slightly more pronounced, but I love that little belly.

By the way, I LOVE YOUR DONSKOY! It's a shame we're kept in the dark about whether or not he'll keep that coat. He may lose some of it...or not at all, as he matures, but I love this baby!
❤ He's adorable isn't he. His coat is slowly thinning out, I don't think he's going to lose all of it but he's slowing losing a lot of the longer curly fur. You can see the skin on his back now it's so thin. I hope he keeps some of it, I love the feel of him. And it's his cuteness that keeps me from turning him into the weirdest rug when he won't stop biting and scratching, he's going through the awful crazy kitten stage. There is no pain like a kitten running up your legs and back