Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten feeding help!

allieramotar

Lairian
I adopted a 9 month old girl 4 days ago. her previous owners said they fed her blue buffalo kitten kibble but the food they gave is not that. when the little that she has left runs out I'm not sure what to do.
I am in search of a vet for suggestions and a check up. I plan to feed her 1 can of wet and then free feed a little kibble per day. how much should I leave out? she's average weight. what foods would you recommend?
I am also open to raw/freeze dried, just need some help.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If you're open to raw I feed the brand Big Country Raw. They're located in Smithville, Ontario! They ship all over Canada as well as a lot of Rens Pets and Pet Valu stores. I've always fed my babies raw and we never have runny poop unless they eat some grass outside or a new treat that doesn't sit well with them.

They have a great guide on their website for getting started/switching over. I would recommend some pumpkin since your girl has the runs. 100% pure pumpkin, not the pie filler kind. You can get it canned at pet stores, or BCR sells a powdered version that you just add water too.

Make sure when you get your vet checkup to bring a fecal sample just to rule out any parasites that may be upsetting her tummy! If you're in Hamilton I can recommend a good vet. Feel free to PM me with any questions :)

Sheldon13

Staff member
Just remember you can’t feed raw and kibble at the same time. There has to be I think 2 hr separation on either side (@Condo commando can answer that more accurately).

I would advise against Blue Buffalo in the future. There have been a lot of issues lately with dogs for multiple products. I would not have the confidence it would not affect cats to. A couple of great brands are Wellness and Instinct.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I love raw food because not only is their poop normal, it doesn't even smell. I keep the litter boxes just a few feet from my bed and I have 3 cats so that's a pretty good test :)

If you don't want to feed raw, the next best is canned food. It provides water (which cats need but they are not good at drinking out of a bowl) and also canned food is lower in carbs than kibble. The 5.5 ounce cans are more economical than the 3 ounce ones. You can feed half of the 5.5 ounce can in the morning and the other half at night.

I think quite a few people like to leave kibble out when they go to work. Raw and kibble get digested at different rates, which leads to GI problems if they are both in the gut at the same time. That's why you should leave some time in between feedings. The 2 hour rule is good.

If you decide to leave kibble out for your kitty, leave just enough so she runs out and is hungry when you put down wet food. Some cats become kibble addicts if there's kibble out all the time. The food companies cover kibble in animal digest which is smelly. Otherwise cats wouldn't bother with it but they are tricked.

Tamson

Lairian
I was not aware of the raw food and dry kibble needing to be spaced out. I just started switching all 5 of my cats to freeze dried raw ( not quite ready for raw) which I feed them in the morning and evening. My 14 week ol sphynx gets fed 3 times a day. Is it not safe to leave the kibble out for free feeding in between?
Also I mix 1/2 freeze dried rehydrated with 1/2 can of wellness kitten. is this ok to mix canned with freeze dried?

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My 14 week ol sphynx gets fed 3 times a day. Is it not safe to leave the kibble out for free feeding in between?

You should leave enough kibble so that it runs out at least 2 hours before the evening meal. Remember he/she should be hungry when it's time for raw food because it needs to be eaten right away or it goes bad.

I mix 1/2 freeze dried rehydrated with 1/2 can of wellness kitten. is this ok to mix canned with freeze dried?

It's better if you alternate - one day raw, the next day a can of Wellness. I think kibble is a worse offender because it has more fillers and carbs, but canned food is still highly processed food.

More ideas:
1. Sardines (packed in water) are cheap, easy to find in grocery stores, and high in omega 3's.
2. Some grocery stores carry chicken hearts which are cheap and high in taurine.
3. The next time you're buying meat for yourself, buy a slightly bigger piece of chicken or a slightly bigger steak and cut up the extra for your cat. You can feed raw or lightly cooked (but don't season it).
............these ideas are not "balanced" so you can't rely on them for daily feeding but they are great "diet enhancers."