Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten from Sphynx outcrossed with Devon Rex?

KillingTime

Lairian
So I have committed to a sphynx kitten whose mother is purebred sphynx and father is Devon Rex. I was told this was an outcross to improve health. The kitten is hairless but I am wondering if it is possible, or common, that an outcross like this will cause the kitten to grow hair in the future or have the same look as a purebred sphynx? is this kitten still a Sphynx or is it now a Devon Rex/Sphynx mix? I'm just not entirely sure how the outcross exactly effects the outcome of the kittens. Any advice would help, Thank you!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
From what I have read in a few places the sphynx hairlessness is dominant to the rex coat. Is the father purebred devon rex? If so I believe kitten is F1 sphynx... (feel free to correct me if I am wrong, those with breeding knowledge) .. F1, F2, F3 which is the "generation"

Devon Rex is an allowed outcross by TICA but not CFA, and some say devons have their own set of heath issues and are not a great candidate for outcross for Sphynx.

KillingTime

Lairian
@zoinks Yes, I believe the father is pure devon rex. From what I have read, CFA also allows outcross with devon rex if the rex was born after March 2014 (which he most likely is not). I have read a lot of conflicting opinions about this outcross possibly causing more health issues or hair growth later on.

Lunettevonloon

Lairian
So I have committed to a sphynx kitten whose mother is purebred sphynx and father is Devon Rex. I was told this was an outcross to improve health. The kitten is hairless but I am wondering if it is possible, or common, that an outcross like this will cause the kitten to grow hair in the future or have the same look as a purebred sphynx? is this kitten still a Sphynx or is it now a Devon Rex/Sphynx mix? I'm just not entirely sure how the outcross exactly effects the outcome of the kittens. Any advice would help, Thank you!

I know this thread is from a few years back but I figured I would respond for anyone who happens to stumble across it in the future. This post may be a little long. I personally own a Sphynx/Devon rex. Before I made my final leap to purchase the hairless kitten of my dreams I did a lot of research on the sphynx breed and there common inherited illness. The information I found was extremely helpful in helping me find the proper kitten just for me!

Many deformities that have been inflicted on many purebred cats – tiny size, giant size, pushed-in face, protruding eyes, short legs, long back, floppy lips, long heavy ears, wrinkled folds of skin. Deformities can only be maintained by continuously breeding such cats TOGETHER. But when a purebred cat with a "deformity" is bred to a different purebred cat without that deformity, the crossbred kittens tend to have an intermediate look very similar to the look you desire.

All cats have defective genes. Often a defective gene doesn't cause any problems unless you have TWO copies of it – one from your mother and one from your father. A purebred kitten has a higher risk of inheriting two copies, since his/her parents belong to the same breed and share so many of the same genes, including the same defective ones.

But parents of different breeds tend to have different defective genes. This minimizes the risk of their kittens getting two copies of the same bad gene. That's good. Not only that, but this greater variety of genes that a crossbred kitten inherits tends to result in a stronger immune system and better physical and mental health. It's called genetic diversity and it is a SUPER healthy thing!

Sorry this post was so long! I just wanted to help shed some light on the benefits of crossbreeding the sphynx/devonrex!

Lunettevonloon

Lairian
Also here are some pictures of my 6 year old sphynx/devon rex to give you an idea of there physical appearance. Shes a dirty girl in this first picture! (Sorry the pictures are so big!)
lydia.jpg
lydia2.jpg
Lydia3.jpg

TniOutcross

Lairian
I know this thread is from a few years back but I figured I would respond for anyone who happens to stumble across it in the future. This post may be a little long. I personally own a Sphynx/Devon rex. Before I made my final leap to purchase the hairless kitten of my dreams I did a lot of research on the sphynx breed and there common inherited illness. The information I found was extremely helpful in helping me find the proper kitten just for me!

Many deformities that have been inflicted on many purebred cats – tiny size, giant size, pushed-in face, protruding eyes, short legs, long back, floppy lips, long heavy ears, wrinkled folds of skin. Deformities can only be maintained by continuously breeding such cats TOGETHER. But when a purebred cat with a "deformity" is bred to a different purebred cat without that deformity, the crossbred kittens tend to have an intermediate look very similar to the look you desire.

All cats have defective genes. Often a defective gene doesn't cause any problems unless you have TWO copies of it – one from your mother and one from your father. A purebred kitten has a higher risk of inheriting two copies, since his/her parents belong to the same breed and share so many of the same genes, including the same defective ones.

But parents of different breeds tend to have different defective genes. This minimizes the risk of their kittens getting two copies of the same bad gene. That's good. Not only that, but this greater variety of genes that a crossbred kitten inherits tends to result in a stronger immune system and better physical and mental health. It's called genetic diversity and it is a SUPER healthy thing!

Sorry this post was so long! I just wanted to help shed some light on the benefits of crossbreeding the sphynx/devonrex!
Thank for explaining the benefits. I’m getting a little female Sphynx x Devon First generation. She was born only on Feb 17 and so cute. Very pink and looks like she is wearing a helmet. The breeder says her colour is Blue and White. I had originally enquired about a Devon Rex then she told me about the Outcross kittens that had just been born. How could I say no to a mixture of my two favourite breeds. I won’t bring her home until the end of May. I’ve just adopted a 5 year old male Devon Rex, so I hope he likes his naked sibling. I do plan on getting her some clothes lol. I’ll attach some photos of T’ni the baby and Albert the Rex.
0EB1E22B-4C4B-4376-9E34-32BEEBCC919E.jpeg

Attachments

• 87B2B307-49D4-474F-8B38-71632854C07D.jpeg
    87B2B307-49D4-474F-8B38-71632854C07D.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 197
  • 92F171D8-362F-415C-997E-C458BB567385.jpeg
    92F171D8-362F-415C-997E-C458BB567385.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 198

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Glad this thread got revived. I’m aware of outcrosses but not to this extent of details on F1-F3. Assuming there is lesser poor genes that remain recessive from the outcrossing, then I’d say outcrosses for healthier gene reasons should trump the outer appearance

Kathie

Lairian
Great post (apparently I’m reviving it again!). I’m pretty sure the purebred Sphynx I purchased four+ years ago is an out cross with a Devon Rex. He’s mostly Sphynx but has very short fur on his face, lower paws, tail and wavy patches on his hips. His tail is wavy too. I’m fine with it but I do feel a bit misled.

ryleegp

Lairian

kathleen30b

Lairian
Great post (apparently I’m reviving it again!). I’m pretty sure the purebred Sphynx I purchased four+ years ago is an out cross with a Devon Rex. He’s mostly Sphynx but has very short fur on his face, lower paws, tail and wavy patches on his hips. His tail is wavy too. I’m fine with it but I do feel a bit misled.

Jsnyder5

Lairian
I am now a mommy to a dev/sphynx mix. He’s got fur on his legs, ears, and tail and a bit of peach fuzz to his body. I live in San Francisco, it’s cold here. We keep the house about 70 degrees. When I go to touch it hold him his little body is hot. I’m ready a ton about putting clothing on him. I don’t want to over heat the poor baby. Any recommendations on when to clothe the little fella. I do have heated beds around the place so if he did get too cold he can go cuddle up.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Jsnyder5 , welcome to the lair family. I look foward to an introduction post and pic of your boy. I keep my house at 74 degrees here in FL. nights have been in the 40's. I personally do not put clothing on mine for 2 reason. 1) mine nearly fell from a high ledge area when freak thing thumb nail got stuck on clothing, lucky I was there to intervene. 2) prolonged wearing of clothing can cause some skin issue for nakids like rashes, prickle heat rash.

Mine are all seniors now. they do great with extra throw blankets. there fav's the 50"x60" fleece throws I pick up at marshalls, tj max etc. they do have a heated blanket too but they have always preferred being tucked in blankies. some members have the K&H heated cat bed. I got for my crew but they still preferred the fleece throws to snuggle up in.
I think you are fine with the heated bed and blankets.

glad you joined us!! jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch. hugs n head smooches {=

babymeow

Lairian
I agree with yodamom, clothing can be dangerous if it gets stuck and if they are not agile wearing clothes. Also I think it will be difficult for them to groom themselves how they want with clothes on all the time? I mostly put clothes on when I take my kitten out as sun protection and warmth. At home she will seek out warmth next to me, in a warm fleece blanket or heating pad. So excited for you and your new kitty!

Sheldon13

Staff member
I do clothe mine in little t-shirts, but only and I repeat ONLY with direct supervision. If humans leave the room, the shirt comes off. That being said, it’s definitely not a necessity with plenty of blankets and warm places to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We never did clothes on ours in the past, but with our kitten we are giving it a go and just like @Sheldon13 we never leave it on her when we are not home. Hubby works from home and I am retired so we are able to keep an eye on her which is great. But even with a shirt on, she still burrows under blankets and snuggles with the boys.

Back