Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten had bath last night & is already looking dirty

PaperPineapple

Lairian
So last night, after looking mighty grubby, we gave him his first bath in his new home. He was very well behaved! The only problem now is... he's absolutely dirty again. I dunno how he's managed it or what it's come off of, but her's so grubby and the baby wipes just aren't cutting it. I don't really want to give him another bath because I've read that frequent bathing can make them dirtier quicker. So what do I do?

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sometimes it is because they got too dried out and the skin them produces more sebum which then picks up dirt. I reccomend using a conditioner after the wash. If you get him wet again dont reach right away try just conditioner with water. It will usually dissolve the dirt and it will rinse straight off.
Or alternatively you can use a dry oil, like argan that will rub into the dirty spots and the dirt will rub off onto your hands. The argan oil will moisturize the skin also. Dont use coconut as it is a heavy oil and you will just end up with a greasy cat.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@NinaGato I saw in another thread that v San Bernard argan oil was recommended by @Bailey21 but I don't think I can get that one... Can it be just any argan oil as long as it's just pure with nothing added?
Yes, make sure it is 100% argan oil. I even saw a good size bottle at Target the other day for a fair price

Sheldon13

Staff member
Sometimes it is because they got too dried out and the skin them produces more sebum which then picks up dirt. I reccomend using a conditioner after the wash. If you get him wet again dont reach right away try just conditioner with water. It will usually dissolve the dirt and it will rinse straight off.
Or alternatively you can use a dry oil, like argan that will rub into the dirty spots and the dirt will rub off onto your hands. The argan oil will moisturize the skin also. Dont use coconut as it is a heavy oil and you will just end up with a greasy cat.

What oil would you recommend if one is allergic to nuts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
What soap/wash are you using? As @Catzzzmeow mentioned, it is likely due to soap residue leftover from bath time. I’ve seen many people here on the Lair experiencing this exact issue due to not rinsing their sphynx thoroughly during spa day. The wash residue will appear clear immediately following the bath, but it is a magnet for dirt & grim. Especially in the areas that experience more friction from movement (ie. armpits).

I use Hylyt wash and follow the method advised to me: After washing, rinse your sphynx off thoroughly and completely. Then, rinse him again. We’ve never had any issue! ;)

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I found that I bought a cheap no name brand kitty litter once and it created dust that stuck to my kitty. Now I only use a clumping brand. I don't find it sticks to my kitty so I'm not worried about her licking herself and getting a clump in her belly.

PaperPineapple

Lairian
Hi all. Sorry for the lack of updates. Please accept post bathtime pics as an apology <3

Thank you for the advice!! I'm just waiting on pay day to come around, but I'll definately be giving that a try!

What soap/wash are you using? As @Catzzzmeow mentioned, it is likely due to soap residue leftover from bath time. I’ve seen many people here on the Lair experiencing this exact issue due to not rinsing their sphynx thoroughly during spa day. The wash residue will appear clear immediately following the bath, but it is a magnet for dirt & grim. Especially in the areas that experience more friction from movement (ie. armpits).

I use Hylyt wash and follow the method advised to me: After washing, rinse your sphynx off thoroughly and completely. Then, rinse him again. We’ve never had any issue! ;)

We've been using Johnson's baby shampoo as that's what most people were using in the videos I had watched before getting him. Unfortunatly Hylyt doesn't seem to be available in the UK, so if anyone has any recommendations for UK available products I could use, I'd be most grateful. I was considering using Nudie Naturals but as I'm in the UK it would cost a fair amount to get them here and I just can't afford that right now.

I found that I bought a cheap no name brand kitty litter once and it created dust that stuck to my kitty. Now I only use a clumping brand. I don't find it sticks to my kitty so I'm not worried about her licking herself and getting a clump in her belly.

The breeder used non-clumping wood pellets for the litter and so we've stuck with using that as we knew he would that. I think it is non-branded though so maybe I'll try on a branded/higher priced option of the same thing first? Or perhaps a different material of non clumping litter? But you certainly made a good point about the dust! The litter we've been using turns into a really fine saw dust like material and it would definately make sense that it would stick to him. Thank you!

Thank you all for the responses :) I hope everyone is having a great week so far!

Attachments

• Archibald_37.jpg
    Archibald_37.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Archibald_38.jpg
    Archibald_38.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 29

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You shouldn't use Johnson's or any human baby shampoo. Cat skins have a different Ph so you really need to use a proper shampoo for them or they will end up with skin irritation. I use Earth Bath which you can get on Amazon UK. I get the wild cherry cat shampoo with the pink label.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I suggest trying the Breeders choice recycled paper pellets, if that brand is available, if not another paper pellets as they have been amazing for us and no dust issues. Very similar feel to a wood pellet.
I know a few people who use an oatmeal ora goat soap for their Sphynx and have had great results.

Back