Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten has anal sores??

egg

Lairian
Hi everyone,

I bright my baby Egg home 4 days ago and have noticed there’s odd sores or something on the sides of his anus.

His stools have been loose and smell terrible. But otherwise he seems in high spirits, eating and drinking well.

My vet doesn’t have an appointment for 3 weeks, which I made, but is this something that needs to be taken care of sooner?

I’ve attached a photo for reference. I apologize for the graphic-ness but I’m very concerned since I am a first time Sphynx mom

Attachments

AmarasDaddy

Lairian
The vets may need to express the anal glands. But as you said 3 weeks, try adding extra fiber to his diet. Also soaking a cloth in Epsom salts and hold it on his bum will help soothe.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@egg , can you email the pics to your vet? perhaps do a drop off to express anal glands? is your breeder local with suggestions to a vet? bring a stool sample to have checked. I personally would get into a vet sooner than later.

btw, welcome to the lair family , Happy gotcha to your egg. can you share a pic of his cute face? is he fed the same food from breeder? share the pics with your breeder?

• Hugs
Reactions: egg

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Looks normal to me. Nothing looks swollen or red. All of ours have dark marks where anal glands are. If you see abnormal behavior then seek a vet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AmarasDaddy

Lairian
Looks normal to me. Nothing looks swollen or red. All of ours have dark marks where anal glands are. If you see abnormal behavior then seek a vet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I actually just looked at my kitties bum and she has similar markings too, just some dried poo around the glands. So agree with you

AmarasDaddy

Lairian
Ooh. And I saw loose stools. Pretty normal for a new sphynx kitten. I got my Amara at 8 weeks (yes I know too young but too late now) about 3 weeks ago and she had loose stools that smelt awful! I panicked and rang the vets. They gave me Hills Science digestive food & probiotics. Loose stools started becoming firmer a few days later. Although they still stink, haha.

• Haha
Reactions: egg

Sheldon13

Staff member

I’m gonna make all your troubles go away. Those are completely normal. Those are scent glands and every cat has them. Your baby is perfectly normal.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

egg

Lairian
The vets may need to express the anal glands. But as you said 3 weeks, try adding extra fiber to his diet. Also soaking a cloth in Epsom salts and hold it on his bum will help soothe.
Thank you for your response! That eases my concerns a bit since I know it’s common. Will still try to get to the vet sooner though

egg

Lairian
@egg , can you email the pics to your vet? perhaps do a drop off to express anal glands? is your breeder local with suggestions to a vet? bring a stool sample to have checked. I personally would get into a vet sooner than later.

btw, welcome to the lair family , Happy gotcha to your egg. can you share a pic of his cute face? is he fed the same food from breeder? share the pics with your breeder?
Thanks for the welcome! I will reach out to the breeder in the morning and try to do a walk in for Egg. I appreciate your response!

I’ve been feeding him the same food as the breeder. It was dry and wet food and the past 2 days just dry. Haven’t noticed a change in stool yet but will still be taking note with each stool.

Please see attached cute photos of my dear Egg sans potential bum issues :)

Attachments

egg

Lairian

I’m gonna make all your troubles go away. Those are completely normal. Those are scent glands and every cat has them. Your baby is perfectly normal.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
Thank you so much for this! Being that he is my first sphynx I have a lot of anxiety about being sure he’s in tip top shape. Definitely comforting to know that this is normal and perhaps just kitten things! Of course will still pay the vet a visit to give a clean bill of health.

thanks again! :)

egg

Lairian
I actually just looked at my kitties bum and she has similar markings too, just some dried poo around the glands. So agree with you
Thank you @AmarasDaddy and @Catzzzmeow for you additional responses. It means so much! Really relieving to know that my lil nude boy may just have less to hide! Of course will still be following up with the vet since he’s brand new to me to make sure everything is A-OK. Very happy to have joined this forum! Thank you all!

Attachments

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Great idea to get an early wellness check. Most contracts state you need to go within a couple of days of getting them, so you might take a look at that again. Also don’t forget to bring a poop sample.