Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten has

Caffi

Lairian
Hellou,

I have this ongoing battle with kittens skin. She first didn't have any lumps or bumps but they seem to come more and more often. I was thinking these marks come from rough play with other kitten so I started to clip their nails more often while these appear on the shoulders, neck and head. It doesn't help anymore. They are itchy and really lumpy and there is rashes on left side of the head and chest. What I have collected from this website that it might be allergy? Or could this be something worse? I was anyway thinking to get vet appointment so maybe there I could get some help for the itchiness. Sphynx's are not so common here what I understood so I would like to know bit beforehand what this could be and what could I do to prevent this. She is my first sphinx so I'm bit lost how to make her life best as it can be.
General info about the kitten's situation:
  • I bathe her about once a month with Trixies neutral (cat and dog) shampoo. (I don't oil or moisturize or do anything else for her skin)
  • She is 10 months old female
  • Other kitten is 8 months old bengal
  • She is not anymore so exited of the wet and raw food as before
  • She gets 2 kinds of nibbles everyday as side dish
  • She still eats well but usually only nibbles.
  • Drinks water like before.
Any advise would be welcomed. I'm so happy that I found this forum!

Attachments

• 20210531_112840.jpg
    20210531_112840.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210531_112842.jpg
    20210531_112842.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210531_112757.jpg
    20210531_112757.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 62

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome! I’d talk to your vet about a possible allergy. They will most likely tell you to try limited ingredient food first. We have seen quite a few with chicken issues.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have seen this before and I would get tested for multifocal spindle cell tumours and squamous cell tumors.

This appears to also have chronic ulcerative with dermal fibroplasia.

You will need to see a vet to get a biopsy of the tumor tissue.

Also urticaria pigmentosa presents this way.

I am glad you have been looking for advice and the best thing to do at this stage is a vet visit and biopsy.

I hope the vet can please help you with treatment.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Unfortunately it can happen in this breed. It is best to get a vet to draw blood and biopsy so it can help provide some reason and treatment to make your baby feel better.
We are here for you.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Caffi hugs n positive vibes. I would ask about ruling out allergies , keep us updated on the vet visit today.

also, do you use scented litter? many can have allergies to litters, scents, wheat , corn based litters

btw, love your avatar pic.. bengal kitty with your sphynx?

Caffi

Lairian
btw, love your avatar pic.. bengal kitty with your sphynx?
Yeah in pic are them both. So lovely creatures.

I visited the vet and she said that this is most likely pollen allergy. Here in Finland is record high pollen particles in the air so that is the most likely that. The diagnosis was "urticaria". As a medication I got "Prednisolone" which I will give her 1 tablet (5mg) per day and decreasing the dose bit by bit. Its given orally.
She mentioned that especially kittens might get these kind of allergies and when they grow older from the teenage years they might just stop having them. As for the rashes there are no infection going on so just this cortisol kind of medicine should help. Hopefully this is the case. I haven't changed the food so it might not be that kind of allergy.
So I keep giving her medicine and won't open balcony nor windows to see if it helps. Than you for your advices. I can report here what happens with the medicine.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Sounds like the diagnosis was in fact “Urticaria Pigmentosa.” Basically it’s due to overactive immune system in response to a stimulus (pollen can very well be the stimulus and in fact severe allergies are a direct result of an over active immune system.). The good thing is there is treatment. Usually the vet will prescribe a steroid like your vet did. I hope it works quickly and gives her some relief.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Yeah in pic are them both. So lovely creatures.

I visited the vet and she said that this is most likely pollen allergy. Here in Finland is record high pollen particles in the air so that is the most likely that. The diagnosis was "urticaria". As a medication I got "Prednisolone" which I will give her 1 tablet (5mg) per day and decreasing the dose bit by bit. Its given orally.
She mentioned that especially kittens might get these kind of allergies and when they grow older from the teenage years they might just stop having them. As for the rashes there are no infection going on so just this cortisol kind of medicine should help. Hopefully this is the case. I haven't changed the food so it might not be that kind of allergy.
So I keep giving her medicine and won't open balcony nor windows to see if it helps. Than you for your advices. I can report here what happens with the medicine.

My boy Toa has Uticaria Pigmentosa too. He gets 5mg pill prednisone every day and his skin is perfect now. He can even play outside in the garden. Hope your girl will do well on it too

Caffi

Lairian
Here is her after two days of pills:

1622566601937.png

1622566642418.png

1622566691997.png

So not much improvement. This is got quite bad state so it should take some time to heal these bumps. At least those bumps have flatten a little bit and she is not scratching herself much anymore.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Yea it still looks pretty bad. But it can definitely take some time for such severe inflammation to go down. Hang in there.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Caffi

Lairian
After now 4 days of medication I made a long pic with the progress so its easier to compare. The skin looks less red and it have changed the color more white. It's not itchy and the scab from the older wounds starts to fall off. It feels less bumpy as I remember from day 1. So definitely there is progress happened to the better. Although the skin still has really visible coloring and bumps but it is good that the kitten itself doesn't seem to bother about her condition now at all. Except the not so nice moment when I give her the pill.
Now as day 4 the dose goes from 5mg to 2,5mg per day for next 3 days.

Also wanted to add that her scarring from the scratching have started to heal nicely.

Attachments

• Tuhkas_skin.png
    Tuhkas_skin.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 57

Caffi

Lairian
Now after more than a week the bumps are almost non existence although she have stared to scratch herself again.
1623175644251.png

Her bumps are barely visible.
1623176164165.png

I don't know what to do to stop her scratching herself. No bandaid will stick to her long enough. I haven't opened windows or balcony since I started her medication. It is now 1/4 of the pill.
Any suggestions for the scratching?

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am so pleased to hear that the medicine is working.

You may find after speaking to the vet she needs to be on it longer.

For the itch, I would be asking the vet what they would recommend to help her feel more comfortable.

Please keep us updated.

You are doing great with the medicines.

Back