Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kitten hates bath

ZebbeBean

Lairian
My new Sphynx kitten absolutely hates getting a bath. He is terrified of being in water. I've tried using a small tub, rinsing with a cup so the sound of running water won't scare him. Nothing works. Any tips out there?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@ZebbeBean the majority of the sphynx out there do not like their baths. My first male needed two to three people to give him a bath, he was so bad, screaming on the top of his lungs, thrashing around...you name it, he did it. I was scratched, and cut by his teeth as his mouth was open while screaming and when he violently thrashed around, his teeth met my arm!

One year later, a light bulb went off in my head and I decided to try something different. I had been putting him on my bathroom counter in a basin or just on a bunch of folded towels. I too knew right from the start that he didn't like the sound of running water, so I used cups or a pitcher to rinse him. It was just a sad mess.

So one year later, I decided one day to bathe him in the kitchen sink and to fill the water level up to the bottom of his belly. OMG, it worked like a charm. I was finally able to bathe him all by myself, no screaming, no thrashing around at all. It was like someone took my cat away and replaced him with this pleasant boy that looked like the bath monster I had for a full year before!! LOL

One more tip, make the water a bit warmer than you would think only because their body temperature is warmer than ours and if it feels cool or comfy to us, it's cold or chilly to them. That would be enough to make them scream! Work as fast as you can, but rinse very, very well and no matter how stressed this task makes you, do not show it to your sphynx. They feed off of our negativity. So keep your head up high and slow your breathing down. I promise you that will help tons.

Please come back with an update. Good luck.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Maybe it helps a little to know that your sphynx is not the only own who is hating his bathes. Most of us, who have sphynxes hating baths, are glad when they find a way to make the bath less stressfull.
Great advice given by @Catzzzmeow and @GoldHazel Only thing I can add is that my 3 sphynxes hate bathing too. I tried several routines and found out the only routine my cats allow is the "as quickly as possible". I make sure there is nice warm water in the bath. I clean a sphynx outside the bath with a washcloth and shampoo. Then I put the sphynx in the bath to rinse the shampoo very well and quick. I wear exfoliating gloved to have better grip and to rub dirt of. I dry them with a towel. It takes not more then 5 minute. They still don't like it but allow it.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Toa and Ross @ZebbeBean it actually takes me a lot longer to fill the kitchen sink (and the smaller side sink) with water for their baths, than it actually takes to bathe and rinse them! Oh, and that's shampooing twice...first with Pet D'Greaser, then with HyLyt or AvenaLyt Shampoo and a ton of rinsing. So "fast" is the name of the game. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@ZebbeBean ,I use a stokkes flexi bath on the bathroom counter - drain plug out over the sink , towels on the bottom of the flexibath -sold various places online

Warm wet baby face cloths over their back seems to calm -

I wear exfoliating gloves - helps hold slippery kitty -and gets kitties clean fast
They stand up on edge of the flexibath which makes washing underside ez and to rinse in that position too-

The water draining out over the wet the towel on the bottom helps clean feet -
It's the only way I can wash all 4 of my spa day haters
Really like Hylyt amd avenalyt shampoos too- easy fast to rinse and soap free hypoallergenic.

You can also get a Rubbermaid rough tote (short and long tote) and cut a hole in the bottom corner to make your own flexibath .
I used the Rubbermaid tote at first before buying the flexibath
Rubbermaid Roughneck 10 Gal. Storage Tote-FG2214TPMICBL - The Home Depot

I also left it out and let them play with it with their toys in it to get them used to it

Just have everthing ready on the counter for spa day
I actually keep sink water running with a pitcher of warm water with baby face cloths and squirts of Hylyt /Avenalyt in it to streamline spa day

I wear a Wahl paw print apron too helps me stay dry !
I scoop up kitty out of the flexibath with A dog drying towel - I get these at Marshalls for $6

Then treats after spa day all done :) and all is forgotten -

I no longer have to wear a sweatshirt on spa day to prevent clawing and scratching :)
It does get easier
(I toss all the spa day towels, wash cloths , exfoliating gloves intoo the flexibath amd take right to the wash machine - )

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi!
My Dexter and Gemma hate baths too and my breeder just told me little Lucifer isn't a fan either!
I've tried a ton of different techniques, but the one that works best is this:
I fill a large bowl with water and put it in an empty tub. My cats don't mind the tub when it's empty. Actually, they love to play in it.
Before I get them in the tub though I rub coconut oil on the extra dirty spots and between their toes/nails.
So when I wash them, they're never submerged in water. I use the water from the bowl when needed. They hate exfoliating gloves too, so I use a face cloth. They seem to calm down when the facecloth is on them. This works great getting them lathered up. When it comes time to rinse, they don't care for it, but they prefer a little water at a time as opposed to being in a full bath.

I might try my kitchen sink and see if they're ok with that. Funny thing is they LOVE running water. They just don't like being in it, LOL

Whenever I see the videos of sphynx cats just loving the water and swimming in the bathtub, it makes me want to cry!!! ;P

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Running water is the enemy of my two as well.

Thankfully I have a double sink in the kitchen, but you can do the same with a single sink and a tub.

I fill one sink with very warm rinse water, and throw in a few wash cloths. I prewarm their shampoo by floating the bottle in a bowl of hot water. I fill two cups with very warm water, and have a few wash cloths on stand by.

I line the second sink with a no slip tub mat and warm it with hot water (but I don't fill this sink).

I place my naked in the second sink, carefully pour some warm water from one of the cups over their back, and then add the warmed shampoo. I soap up and scrub in a nice massagey way. They don't seem to mind this part too much. I add a bit more water from the second cup to get a really good lather going. With Max I use exfoliating gloves, and with Min I do not (she has allergies, so I try not to stress her skin). I then use a washcloth dipped in the cup of water to clean the unmentionable areas LOL.

Once soaped up, I use the rest of the cup water to rinse my hands, removing the exfoliating glove if used. Then I use the washcloths from the rinse water tub to sweep the water over Max and Min. I do this over and over and over again until they're well rinsed.

I cannot immerse them in water, run water, spray with water etc. This is the only way that works for me (since I value my life).

Dryer heated towels and treats finish the event!

Pierre

Lairian
Pierre was 10 months when I fostered him. He was rescued, never been cleaned, bathed, nothing. First attempt at bath time was a disaster, I was covered in blood! 2nd attempt went much better. I got everything ready before taking him to the bathroom, I let him explore the bathroom first, placed him in the bath with my hand sort of holding him down a bit and gave a quick wash. It wasn't perfect but I just thought a bit at a time is better then nothing :)

Back